Sponsored

Ecodiesel - Start/Stop - Does anyone else hate it like me?

DestroyerJT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
First of all I want to note that I have had manual transmission Wranglers for the past 15 years so I am a little out of place with an AT to begin with, but I picked up an Ecodiesel Gladiator a couple weeks ago and have been loving it.

For some reason start/stop functionality just seems wrong to me for a diesel engine. I have only had it happen a few times because I disable it every time i get in. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about diesel engines but it seems to me that it would be hard on it - especially if the turbo, etc.. is hot. Are there any real benefits of this feature?

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just resisting the change? Haha
Sponsored

HighNoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
It’s probably a government mandate but at least we can turn it off. I think I read on this forum somewhere that someone did a study and maybe over 9000 miles it saved $10. I can’t remember the numbers but it was small. That may be the reason for two batteries

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The forum is full of complaints about the ESS system. It is a result of government mandates. There is a ESS battery to keep the computers stable during an ESS event.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I actually loved it on the gas JT. I did some testing for many weeks and found 1 to 1.5 MPG is what ESS really saves in the real world. I got used to the brake pedal and could easily prevent it from activating at any red light or stop sign. It was great.

On the diesel it's a different story. The torque output is so high that it requires more brake pedal to hold the truck stationary, and that in turn makes it hard to control ESS functionality with my foot. I find that annoying. And it seems that with more onboard conditions that need to be met, it's really hit and miss as to when it'll engage. Sometimes I'll be sitting at a red light for 15 seconds or more and then suddenly ESS will engage about the time that I need to go. Again, more annoying.

Thankfully it's a single press of a button and it's out of my hair. I'm not one to complain about having to push one button.

As far as being hard on the engine... nope they use an upgraded flywheel and starter motor so it's fine. And modern diesels hate to idle. It causes the DPF to plug up faster, wastes fuel with more regeneration cycles, and can also lead to fuel dillution in your oil pan. Idling a diesel is not good.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Personally I don't mind it at all unless I'm towing. From what I understand the diesel does far better with response time and initial power upon restart than the gasser.

If you really hate it that much, get a Tazer JL mini and turn off ESS permanently and never have to remember to hit the button again.

Sponsored

M3r1c4

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
IT Manager
First of all I want to note that I have had manual transmission Wranglers for the past 15 years so I am a little out of place with an AT to begin with, but I picked up an Ecodiesel Gladiator a couple weeks ago and have been loving it.

For some reason start/stop functionality just seems wrong to me for a diesel engine. I have only had it happen a few times because I disable it every time i get in. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about diesel engines but it seems to me that it would be hard on it - especially if the turbo, etc.. is hot. Are there any real benefits of this feature?

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just resisting the change? Haha
You can shut it off permanently with a mini tazer

Z Automotive Z-TZR-JLM Tazer JL Mini Programmer for 18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT | Quadratec

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The forum is full of complaints about the ESS system. It is a result of government mandates. There is a ESS battery to keep the computers stable during an ESS event.
I’m one of those… Took two trips to the dealer to get it straightened out on my Gladiator. When it works as intended (heavy stop and go traffic) I like it.

OP
OP
DestroyerJT

DestroyerJT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Thanks for the replies.

I figured Jeep had gone through testing on it. I live in a small town so more stop signs than red lights and it just seems pointless. We do have a few red lights on 55mph roads and I wasn't sure how this affects the turbo if it is hot, but this may be a situation when the it says "Not Ready".

In the wifes compass it is a real pain because it seems like it takes forever to start back up. I guess I just don't like ESS in general.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Hate it. My truck barely fits in the garage. I have a piece of tape on the floor and I use the camera to gauge if I’m close to the garage door with minimum room to close it. This gives me room up front to pass by. When I forget to turn it off, it shuts down before I adjust, annoying.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I dont mind on the diesel. when you let off the brake and the diesel starts, I have 35's, the torque range seems perfect and the truck starts pulling on its own. My lady has a gas WK2 and I dont like it on that platform, I disable it quite often in the Grand Cherokee. Love it with the diesel for city driving

Sponsored

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
I personally like it in my Diesel. It is ready to go in the time it takes me to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal. It isn't overly useful in the country, but is definitely nice to have in a town with lots of stop lights.

I will second the guy that said that it is terrible in the Compass. My wife's Compass seems like it takes a solid 2 seconds between when you let off of the brake and when you can start moving. It is unnerving when driving in the city.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Hate it. My truck barely fits in the garage. I have a piece of tape on the floor and I use the camera to gauge if I’m close to the garage door with minimum room to close it. This gives me room up front to pass by. When I forget to turn it off, it shuts down before I adjust, annoying.
This does happen to me as well and I agree it's annoying, I've just gotten into the habit of taking off my seat belt as I'm pulling in the garage which will prevent ESS.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
I can't say I'm a fan. Maybe in heavy traffic. I don't use the button to disable much as Ive gotten used to just pushing the shifter into manual mode when I stop and that stops it from happening - almost unconscious action now.
Sponsored