Sponsored

37s and drivetrain reliability - is it worth it?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Don’t worry about braking unless you’re hot lappjng your JT.
With bigger tires, it will take longer to stop. It is a function of the tires and not a function of the stock brakes.

larger rotors/calipers/pads will just help with fade and heat dissapation.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Don’t worry about braking unless you’re hot lappjng your JT.
With bigger tires, it will take longer to stop. It is a function of the tires and not a function of the stock brakes.

larger rotors/calipers/pads will just help with fade and heat dissapation.
Larger rotors and more powerful calipers will reduce the stopping distance also.

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
automatic transmission. yea i believe it does matter, but not that you cant put 5.13 in it just changes the shifting.
I read somewhere that 4.88 is stronger than 5.13. Wouldn't that be better for towing? Having stronger gear and all.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Larger rotors and more powerful calipers will reduce the stopping distance also.
Any brakes that can clamp and hold at the lock-up threshold will stop the vehicle in just about the same distance. The limiting factor in braking distance in modern cars is almost entirely the tires and the grip they have on the road. More grip means a higher lock-up threshold which means better braking distances.

Larger rotors are a mixed bag because they increase distances due to rotating mass but the larger rotors and more powerful calipers do increase modulation and control that make hitting that threshold easier.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I read somewhere that 4.88 is stronger than 5.13. Wouldn't that be better for towing? Having stronger gear and all.
That's the switchover point for the pinion and the 5.13 has one less tooth (and therefore a smaller head). This pic shows the difference between a JL/JT and a JK pinion so aside from a tooth breaking, the head shearing isn't really a concern.

Sponsored

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
Any brakes that can clamp and hold at the lock-up threshold will stop the vehicle in just about the same distance. The limiting factor in braking distance in modern cars is almost entirely the tires and the grip they have on the road. More grip means a higher lock-up threshold which means better braking distances.

Larger rotors are a mixed bag because they increase distances due to rotating mass but the larger rotors and more powerful calipers do increase modulation and control that make hitting that threshold easier.
A lot of dudes i know put big brake kits on their ///M's. I just put better pads on mine and got slotted rotors for instant bite. BBKs brake just as good as regular quality brakes[given the same number of pistons per caliper] The difference is that big brakes kits don't fade after a few laps. Unless you're talking about competitive wheeling, you'll be fine with stock brakes.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
You may be fine but increasing the rotor size effectively giving the caliper more leverage will reduce the braking distance on the JT. The 60mph-0 braking distance of the JT is not limited by traction.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
i read somewhere that i was an internet model... :CWL:
people write all kinds of crap. I cant understand how 4.88 is stronger. Its a different gearing the teeth are separated more. In my opinion 5.13 would be better to tow with as well. I would only suggest that whatever gear you go with do use dana. dana axle+dana gear :like:

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
also, im not making this result thing up from my opinion alone, i took my vic into a great shop that installs gears on all kinds of rigs, and the recommendation from the man that ran the place was 5.13 for my wants. no lag at pick up, better for towing (have a side by side in mind down the road) and possibility of going to 37s next set of shoes. I was also looking at 4.88 originally, and his info and experience with doing this most of his adult life along with transmissions, he recommended that I go 5.13, and I haven't looked back. His shop is in Tucson Loyds Transmission (but they do lifts, gears as well). Loooong time shop and 2 generations of experience.

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
also, im not making this result thing up from my opinion alone, i took my vic into a great shop that installs gears on all kinds of rigs, and the recommendation from the man that ran the place was 5.13 for my wants. no lag at pick up, better for towing (have a side by side in mind down the road) and possibility of going to 37s next set of shoes. I was also looking at 4.88 originally, and his info and experience with doing this most of his adult life along with transmissions, he recommended that I go 5.13, and I haven't looked back. His shop is in Tucson Loyds Transmission (but they do lifts, gears as well). Loooong time shop and 2 generations of experience.
Got it.

Looking back and comparing it to stock, what are the differences you are seeing? Good or bad.

Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
just had 37s put on today after running 35s for a year. mopar 2-inch lift and 4.10 gears. the gearing is doable for sure but not ideal. first and second are too long for my liking with this tire size. Tires are and were nitto trail grapplers. no rubbing and the spare fits. I went with the RCV shafts in the front but kept the FAD. not worried about that unless I smash into something with high speed. Yukons for the rear are on order since forever. Also will go for a 3.5inch lift when it arrives. Another thing taking forever. not liking the look of 37s with the 2-inch lift and curious how it will do on the trails tomorrow. I have the 6.4L HEMI in there as well so obviously no issues holding 8th on the interstate. RPMs just run about 200 lower than with the 35s but I missed the sporty feel I had with the 35s off the line. so 5.13s are also going in. also looks like I lost another 1-2MPG.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it.

Looking back and comparing it to stock, what are the differences you are seeing? Good or bad.
i was running the stock sport gears 3.73 :puke: . The great, the vehicle pretty much jumps to 4th gear in the first 200 feet, it feels weightless, and accelerates like it has a turbo in it (2021 Willys), and gets about 20 miles a gallon (at 55mph) with a full teraflex 3.5 inch lift that has all 8 adjustable control arms, track bars, and falcon 3.3 shocks,. Additionally, I have a rebel summit front bumper with 10k winch, and trail rax rack on the back= a lot more weight than factory. The downside, expect low gear noise, not annoying or noticeable but you hear it a little with your windows down. Youll also have lower mpg on highway.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You may be fine but increasing the rotor size effectively giving the caliper more leverage will reduce the braking distance on the JT. The 60mph-0 braking distance of the JT is not limited by traction.
I can assure you that's not how braking works. I don't think this is the place for an engineering discussion but if you can reliably lock up your brakes, you don't need larger brakes for clamping force.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
To the op. I’m near 34k miles, have had 37’s since 12k. I’m lifted 3.5” full lift, full steering upgrade, heavy 37’s and wheels on stock 4:10’s, automatic. I also trussed my front axle. And skid plates everywhere. I also use a throttle controller. I wheel my vehicle in the Rockies mountains. So far no issues but I’m sure I’ll replace my ball joints with heavy duty ones. If any questions… just meander through my build thread.
Cheers

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So many variations in size and weight with different brands in 35s and 37s, BFG 37s are often the same size and lighter than other brands 35s, so brand will definitely play into the reliability factor for those reasons.
I see this a lot but whenever I look at specs, I have never seen a 35 measure in at 36.5”. All the 35s I look up measure in at 34 something. What tire in a 35 is measuring at 36.5? I was heavily debating between ridge grapplers, patagonias, and k02s. And I ultimately went with the k02s just cuz of how light they are as mentioned above. Just curious what other tires are measuring the same size. Now I just need my damn jeep to be built. Estimated ship date of 11/24 but we will see. My 2.5in overland plus from Clayton is being delivered today. Cheers!
Sponsored