Sponsored

37s and drivetrain reliability - is it worth it?

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
A lot of dudes i know put big brake kits on their ///M's. I just put better pads on mine and got slotted rotors for instant bite. BBKs brake just as good as regular quality brakes[given the same number of pistons per caliper] The difference is that big brakes kits don't fade after a few laps. Unless you're talking about competitive wheeling, you'll be fine with stock brakes.
Thanks - I had been thinking about slotted rotors and better pads but wasn't planning on doing anything with calipers. My thought is that I'm not hot lapping or anything like that, and although I have used and liked drilled rotors, I think slotted rotors with better pads give about the best braking performance for every day conditions. I live in MN so it gets cold in the winter.
Sponsored

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
just had 37s put on today after running 35s for a year. mopar 2-inch lift and 4.10 gears. the gearing is doable for sure but not ideal. first and second are too long for my liking with this tire size. Tires are and were nitto trail grapplers. no rubbing and the spare fits. I went with the RCV shafts in the front but kept the FAD. not worried about that unless I smash into something with high speed. Yukons for the rear are on order since forever. Also will go for a 3.5inch lift when it arrives. Another thing taking forever. not liking the look of 37s with the 2-inch lift and curious how it will do on the trails tomorrow. I have the 6.4L HEMI in there as well so obviously no issues holding 8th on the interstate. RPMs just run about 200 lower than with the 35s but I missed the sporty feel I had with the 35s off the line. so 5.13s are also going in. also looks like I lost another 1-2MPG.
35s on 2inch lift to me are a good look - enough tire and spacing combo so it doesn't look too tippy or squashed. If I went to 37s I think I'd probably add more lift - thinking about something from Clayton but that won't be until I am out of warranty 😁. I am definitely not going to do anything with the engine - if I did it would be well down the road when someone figures out how to do a drop in electric motor. Somewhere someone will figure out how to do a relatively compact electric motor and battery conversion that mates up to existing transmissions... I am never going back to 2 pedal driving!

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
granny gear locked up really tracks like a tank over everything.
Yes it does. Quite impressive with the 37's. Really on par or better than the XJ on 35's.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I did read some, and it has nothing to do with a Subaru and everything to do with performance braking.
it makes the point that bigger rotors/calipers don’t stop you any faster; so long as your stock brakes can activate abs abs/or lock up your tires.

If you can lock up and/or activate abs, braking distance is all about your tires.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
This video shows the effect of larger tires in braking which I believe this thread started out about.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
This video shows the effect of larger tires in braking which I believe this thread started out about.
I completely agree, a larger tire will increase your stopping distance.

Larger caliper/rotors/“big brake kit” won’t decrease it any. That’s my only point.

Towing heavy and experiencing brake fade? Sure, upgraded will help. Regular mountain driving where you ride your brakes? Sure, it will help. (But should be using the transmission/engine braking)

panic stops abs regular driving? Not really.

Mechjk43

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Mechanical Design Engineer
Maybe someone already brought this up and I missed it but wheel offset matters as well (at least for ball joints, which is one of the top issues). A crazy negative offset creates a much larger moment at the hub vs a tucked in +25. Higher moment = higher reaction forces for the ball joints to counteract. This isn’t 35 vs 37 info but could be useful for someone concerned about durability.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does 37s impact tow capability of the truck? I am planning on putting 37s with 3.5" lift but also planning on towing a camper. I do plan on re-gear to 4.88.
Technically, nobody knows. Nobody has done an engineering analysis. So you are on your own in uncharted territory.

So what's that mean practically speaking? I don't pretend to know, but you can make some reasonable judgements. Towing well below the max on smooth roads at reasonable speeds should be fine. Towing at max towing capacity on bumpy roads at high speeds is probably going to cut into safety margins.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Lol, a Subaru forum, no thanks.
You know, a lot of times, Subaru owners and jeep owners are the same people. Both are all weather vehicles with 4 wheel (or all wheel) drive. I've had my share of WRXs and STIs, and a few jeeps too. I think there's a lot of WRX owners on here. I've had 4 jeeps, and 4 Subarus, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes both. Lifted WRXs and lifted Crosstreks are awesome. Stock Subies are fun too though. An STI in the snow on a dirt road is a blast. Considering that many WRXs and STIs are built for the track, it's a good place to get info on brakes.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You know, a lot of times, Subaru owners and jeep owners are the same people. Both are all weather vehicles with 4 wheel (or all wheel) drive. I've had my share of WRXs and STIs, and a few jeeps too. I think there's a lot of WRX owners on here. I've had 4 jeeps, and 4 Subarus, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes both. Lifted WRXs and lifted Crosstreks are awesome. Stock Subies are fun too though. An STI in the snow on a dirt road is a blast. Considering that many WRXs and STIs are built for the track, it's a good place to get info on brakes.
Wife drives a Legacy, that car has kept her out of trouble more times than she'll admit.

I've driven a not street legal STI and all I can say is HOLY SHIT.
Sponsored