Battery tender

Cobalt2014

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I just purchased a new 2022 Mojave (automatic) but it will not be driven every day with some weeks going by without it being driven. I have saw numerous threads about battery issues so I was thinking about installing a battery tender on the main battery but I am not sure if this would solve the potential issues or if it is even recommended as there are 2 batteries (I guess). Please share your thoughts. Thanks
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I still have the original batteries in my Overland, they are almost three years old. It has sat for up to a week without being driven. I have not yet had any battery issues.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There was a few months I was not able to drive my 2020 Gladiator and ran a battery tender off the main battery. It kept both batteries leveled out and charged with no issue.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I leave mine alone for up to a month at a time, no issues. I've had it since 7/4/19, and it has original batteries. It is a summer trail vehicle, unless we get a lot of snow, which is seldom. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have a easy to use Battery Tender in the garage bay, next to your JT. For peace of mind you could connect it. If my batteries are that weak, or if there is a drain on my electrical system, I would just as soon know about it in the garage, so I haven't worried about mine, and have had "0" issues. See you on the trails at some point.

Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Charging the main battery will also charge the auxiliary one. Many on here use a float/maintainer including myself. Seems like if your JT sat around on a dealer's lot for months, the batteries can be weakened, causing some problems. IMO using a float charger is a great idea if you are concerned about your batteries and/or don't drive your JT much. Be sure to use a low amp charger like <3 amps. I use the NOCO Genius 2. It does not charge the batteries quickly being that the main is 75Ah and auxiliary is 12Ah, but that is what you want for maintaining them.

Last edited:

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Let mine sit in the garage sometimes for 10 days and never had a battery issue 2020 Sport S.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
A week or 2 or 3 without driving a vehicle is no big deal. The only time I use my battery tender is when the vehicle sits for more than a month. My JT sits a lot in the summer and my JK sits a lot in the winter, so I have used my battery tender on both. For me, I'm more concerned about oiling issues, so if the JT or JK sits for more than a week, I'll run it though a few cranking cycles to build up oil pressure before starting.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
I have a SAE pigtail on my Gladiator. Used it only once though.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I installed a Battery Tender pigtail on mine and ran it behind the corner of the grille by the headlight. No need to pop the hood. If I'm not driving mine for a while, I pull up to an outlet and plug in to top it off.

Many new vehicles are very voltage sensitive. So, I keep all my non-daily drivers, boats, toys etc on Battery Tenders full time (I have well over a dozen tenders). Some of them I installed a magnetic charging quick connect to make it even easier. If you forget to unplug and pull away, it just disconnects without damage.

Sponsored

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
I installed a Battery Tender pigtail on mine and ran it behind the corner of the grille by the headlight. No need to pop the hood. If I'm not driving mine for a while, I pull up to an outlet and plug in to top it off.

Many new vehicles are very voltage sensitive. So, I keep all my non-daily drivers, boats, toys etc on Battery Tenders full time (I have well over a dozen tenders). Some of them I installed a magnetic charging quick connect to make it even easier. If you forget to unplug and pull away, it just disconnects without damage.
Would you have a link to the magnetic quick disconnect that you have used, I like that idea but wanted a recommendation on a product that works well. Thanks.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Would you have a link to the magnetic quick disconnect that you have used, I like that idea but wanted a recommendation on a product that works well. Thanks.
I was an early adopter/tester for a small niche market company. The company (HethelSport) put together a kit for them (although I see that they are currently back ordered there) :

https://hethelsport.com/tools/charger-connection-kit/

That's actually one of my cars with it mounted in the photo on the website. Anyway, he sells kits that are compatible with different battery maintainers. And, as a kit it comes with everything, including the snap shut cover.

HethelSport is small California company owned by a great guy named Sherman. Although you could try to piece the same kit together, you may want to email him and ask when he may be getting more in stock. Sherman's email is [email protected]

I have purchased several $thousand worth of parts from him over the years and he is absolutely one of the best retailers in any car market I have dealt with. (No, I have no relation or financial interest in his company).

If you can't get a kit from him, you can source the parts individually. They are Magcode connectors. However, I found it difficult to source them (especially the cover) in the US and if you can find the parts they will be more expensive than his kit. I have seen them for sale overseas.

Jeep Gladiator Battery tender 1p.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Battery tender 2p.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Battery tender 12V 2.JPG

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
I have used a battery tender since I bought my JTHA last May. If it sits for a week or more, I hook it up. I telework a lot, so it sits a lot. Also when I go on trips. No issues so far.

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I sometimes don't drive mine for a few days to a week, so it's always on a tender during those times. Never an issue with batteries or ESS.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I was an early adopter/tester for a small niche market company. The company (HethelSport) put together a kit for them (although I see that they are currently back ordered there) :

https://hethelsport.com/tools/charger-connection-kit/

That's actually one of my cars with it mounted in the photo on the website. Anyway, he sells kits that are compatible with different battery maintainers. And, as a kit it comes with everything, including the snap shut cover.

HethelSport is small California company owned by a great guy named Sherman. Although you could try to piece the same kit together, you may want to email him and ask when he may be getting more in stock. Sherman's email is[email protected]

I have purchased several $thousand worth of parts from him over the years and he is absolutely one of the best retailers in any car market I have dealt with. (No, I have no relation or financial interest in his company).

If you can't get a kit from him, you can source the parts individually. They are Magcode connectors. However, I found it difficult to source them (especially the cover) in the US and if you can find the parts they will be more expensive than his kit. I have seen them for sale overseas.

I absolutely love this idea. Connect it to the bumper via magnet and then when you forget and drive away it will disconnect not destroy anything.
Sponsored