Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I do not think there is a narrow range these are exploding and catching fire and seems to be spread out.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
So my Jeep went in for it's first Jeep Wave service today and the transmission did come up obviously. I talked to the tech seemed like she was very aware of the recall and what parts were affected. She told me that the tranny bell housing was very hot when they pulled it in so I asked her what she would recommend to help keep it from blowing up before the parts to fix it are available. She said to just be as gentle as I could be with accelerating from a stop and to double clutch. There have been very few if any other JTs sold in state with a manual so her level of awareness and willingness to share info I thought was a good sign.
I would think the workaround is to not heat up the clutch. To make sure that happens, you let off the clutch as soon as possible with very little gas. After that, since the drive train is already engaged, you should be able to accelerate hard without heating up the clutch or pressure plate. When shifting, do not give it gas, --- give it gas after you shift... If you drive like that, your clutch will never smell, therefore, not heat up...

DTDHI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Toyota Prius, 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 ZX14R
Ordering Updates:
Gladiator (JT) and Wrangler (JL) - Manual transmissions are open for ordering

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone confirm that manuals are ready for order again. My dealer found the entry in the Vehicle ordering and Inventory management home page today. Looks like the issue may be resolved.

Bruce

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Updated post with more info:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:
In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:
If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-1-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-2-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-3-png.png

Original post:

The Aisin is being recalled but dealers do not have a fix yet. I assume this applies to ALL manuals, and Jeep has put a stop sale on all 6 speeds for the time being. I checked mine this morning and sure enough, risk of fire or basically a bell housing "explosion" when the clutch plate shrapnel goes flying through. To check your VIN go here https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

This was the recall info posted when I looked up my VIN. I assume this applies to the JL/JLU as well since its the same transmission. Maybe Jeep will swap us out with a halfway decent manual now and junk the Aisin D478....especially with the Bronco about to roll out with a 7 speed. It never made any sense that our tow rating was so drastically affected from the auto, maybe the speculation about a weak clutch was correct.

Untitled.png
It's the clutch pressure plate, not the whole transmission. They're not going to replace over 3,000 transmissions because of a bad pressure plate.

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I would think the workaround is to not heat up the clutch. To make sure that happens, you let off the clutch as soon as possible with very little gas. After that, since the drive train is already engaged, you should be able to accelerate hard without heating up the clutch or pressure plate. When shifting, do not give it gas, --- give it gas after you shift... If you drive like that, your clutch will never smell, therefore, not heat up...
So I left the Jeep on their lot for 2 hours before they actually did the service. So I'm not sure what kind of driving they did with it beforehand but I had driven it 30 miles on the freeway to them so not very much shifting involved. All they said was that it was very hot but didn't have a thermometer reading. For reference a boiler supply line at 160* is too hot to touch for very long at all. But if my transmission was 160* I'd not be concerned about it in the least. So without an actual temperature reading it's hard to say if it's something that is alarming or not.

mzema327

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The safety recall has been updated for a repair description:

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed.

Sounds like they will just wait to see how much this keeps happening to avoid being on the hook for the labor/parts.

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
The only time I've smelled my clutch is when backing up hill slowly, as to parallel park, or to back into a short, up-hill driveway with a closed garage door...Both times it smelled like an upright vacuum belt when the brush roll gets stuck. I'll be avoiding backing up hill now that I know about this...

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed.
I'm no expert but I don't see how moving a wiring harness can solve a pressure plate overheating. Sounds to me like they still haven't figured out what's happening but they wanted to put something out for PR reasons.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The only time I've smelled my clutch is when backing up hill slowly, as to parallel park, or to back into a short, up-hill driveway with a closed garage door...Both times it smelled like an upright vacuum belt when the brush roll gets stuck. I'll be avoiding backing up hill now that I know about this...
I also back up a long way into my driveway. I found that I let out the clutch fast, then, let it come down to almost a stall, then, crawl it in with little gas and no clutch. It will never smell that way. Same thing in traffic, get that clutch out, then, let it almost stall, then, give it just a tad gas to keep it crawling. Works well with the 4:10s, and the low first gear.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
So I left the Jeep on their lot for 2 hours before they actually did the service. So I'm not sure what kind of driving they did with it beforehand but I had driven it 30 miles on the freeway to them so not very much shifting involved. All they said was that it was very hot but didn't have a thermometer reading. For reference a boiler supply line at 160* is too hot to touch for very long at all. But if my transmission was 160* I'd not be concerned about it in the least. So without an actual temperature reading it's hard to say if it's something that is alarming or not.
To that end, your clutch/bell housing is bolted to an aluminum engine block, the temp of which is precisely controlled to 205F. It will be hot, but not because the cluch is that hot.
Now, with a defective pressure plate, the whole thing could slip while engaged, causing the overheat condition.

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
I also back up a long way into my driveway. I found that I let out the clutch fast, then, let it come down to almost a stall, then, crawl it in with little gas and no clutch. It will never smell that way. Same thing in traffic, get that clutch out, then, let it almost stall, then, give it just a tad gas to keep it crawling. Works well with the 4:10s, and the low first gear.
I try that in my Sport-S with 3.78(?), and I'm constantly killing the engine...No option but to rev it to keep it from dying...

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
...No option but to rev it to keep it from dying...
Yup. if you to let out and try to lug low RPM, you get the UGGACHUGGA back and forth oscillation with can't be great for the driveline... and I believe is probably the reason for the 5th shock over the rear axle.
Needs more low end torque or more gears... otherwise you're really pumping clutch.

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
Looks like all JT’ 6 speeds built through 2/20/2020 are involved. Guess we have to wait till 4/22 for our surprise. I felt that clutch sucked from day 1. Dealer says it’s “normal”.
B.S.— It’s weak and has no clamping power! I guess the focus group says we all want weak, mushy clutches! “ It’s what the people want”.
Sponsored

Last edited: