Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
@Nick I messaged into Mopar today. sorry the chat is grey and hard to read. I did not screen shot until the agent closed the chat. names withheld for privacy//respect.

Jeep Gladiator Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate] 1.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate] 2.PNG

@Bbannongmu
I feel like what I got out of the chat session today... makes me just want to wait until my clutch needs replacing and save this recall as a free clutch replacement down the road. Seems like If I do it now its only going to be an inspection and wiring harness move.

If I ever replace in the future I will probably go with the CenterForce too, so I can experience a non dual mass flywheel in the gladiator... I would like to feel if there's surging or not.

or like somebody else suggested.... do the recall... get a free new clutch and pressure plate... replace with CenterForce and sell your new parts :p
Sponsored

Last edited:

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Yep, I'm waiting till mine is showing more symptoms. Its only smelled like burning maybe 3 or 4 times in 10,000km. So I may as well wait till its properly fudged to ensure ill get new parts.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
Sounds to me like they're taking the cheep way out. If I drive my truck easy I'm going to show less or no unusual ware. Which means the mechanic sees no reason to replace any parts. A couple of years down the road maybe I decide to buy a camper to go on vacations in the mountains. If I don't trust my truck to pull it what do I have.

I bought this truck because it's a manual. The fact that the top comes off is a plus. A manual Toyota with the same options would have cost about same.

My first truck was a 1980 Toyota Hilux 5 speed. 10 years as a carpenter doing commercial work in and around DC overloading the bed, pulling a popup on vacations, driving the strip mines of NE PA to hunt. 230K miles before I had to replace the clutch. These are defiantly different times.

Does anybody know the $ value FCA will reimburse if I do the Centerforce replacement?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Does anybody know the $ value FCA will reimburse if I do the Centerforce replacement?
FCA is not going to reimburse you for a aftermarket part.

Muddyrover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2011 Ram 2500, 1995 Land Rover Defender
I shut off hill start assist... made a huge difference in clutch feel and stalling in reverse. Much less having to slip to back up hill.

After breakin of just under 3000 miles , and turning off the assist, I have no issues.

I'm pretty sure i could tell if my clutch was 2000 F.... not taking it back until it needs it.

That being said, the stock sport axle gearing is way too high. I do not use 6th. I'd do 4.56:1 gears before i did a clutch swap on a clutch with no symptoms.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’m trying to decide between Centerforce standard and dual friction. I figured I was planning to up grade before this recall. No problems and I’ve just gotten used to the on-off clutch feel but I think the Centerforce clutch will do better at towing, hill holding and off road and will better handle the 37s I have planned.

165C3620-C60D-4CA7-BF1D-E090D61E317F.png

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
I’m trying to decide between Centerforce standard and dual friction.
Save yourself a few bucks Summit and Jeg have them both for about $100 less.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Interesting, I have smelled my clutch burning a few times, and I never ride it or abuse it.

I'm torn because on one hand, having a new clutch installed down the road will be like having free wearable items!!! But, now I'm scared to tow an off road trailer and go have an adventure in the Bush because my pressure plate/"clutch may fail, leaving me and my family stranded.

They better come out with a fix soon! I got this vehicle to use for big camping trips and expeditions and I need to be able to count on it.
The problem with the clutch happens when it overheats
@Nick I messaged into Mopar today. sorry the chat is grey and hard to read. I did not screen shot until the agent closed the chat. names withheld for privacy//respect.

1.PNG

2.PNG

@Bbannongmu
I feel like what I got out of the chat session today... makes me just want to wait until my clutch needs replacing and save this recall as a free clutch replacement down the road. Seems like If I do it now its only going to be an inspection and wiring harness move.
That is what I am thinking.
I shut off hill start assist... made a huge difference in clutch feel and stalling in reverse. Much less having to slip to back up hill.

After breakin of just under 3000 miles , and turning off the assist, I have no issues.

I'm pretty sure i could tell if my clutch was 2000 F.... not taking it back until it needs it.

That being said, the stock sport axle gearing is way too high. I do not use 6th. I'd do 4.56:1 gears before i did a clutch swap on a clutch with no symptoms.
Yes. I have almost 8K miles on mine and some serious off road miles with no clutch problems. I get the clutch out fast and use the throttle to modulate low speed off-road. Even in the street, taking off from a light, I get the clutch out fast, then, gun it. Slipping the clutch on purpose to get the rpms up is what gets them hot and smelly.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Save yourself a few bucks Summit and Jeg have them both for about $100 less.
Thanks! I’ll post up an install video once I pull the trigger.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When do you think you'll do this?

I've only seen centerforce videos on this... Nothing independent
I just heard from Centerforce the lead time is about 2-3 weeks to ship once I pull the trigger, which should be very soon . Debating between standard and dual friction right now. Few questions out to Centerforce. They’ve been great btw. I’ve got a garage lined up to do the install. My thinking is that you only live once and why wait to upgrade something you literally use every time you drive?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Bbannongmu go dual friction.
Better for towing.

......It's easier spending someone else's money
thanks. Ha! I agree. I’m committed to upgrading. The difference in cost between them is negligible. Definitely focusing on value over cost and want made in USA.

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
I just got this letter from FCA today.

20200504_152120.jpg

Nick

Threads
Reaction score