Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
It is a mess and not in Jeep or other manufacturers control. It will take a while to straighten out the supply chain. Just found out from Centerforce that my aftermarket clutch is about a month away due to a redesign and Chinese Flu delays.
Awe yeah! I cannot wait to see your install and review.
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Just found out from Centerforce that my aftermarket clutch is about a month away due to a redesign and Chinese Flu delays.
Do you have any insight into why or what Centerforce is changing on their clutch? I'm really curious if it is an improvement or a fix.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any insight into why or what Centerforce is changing on their clutch? I'm really curious if it is an improvement or a fix.
All I got is an email stating that they were making adjustments because the factory specs were inconsistent. Looking forward to getting the clutch and get tuning it installed so I can share my thoughts.

KAT$JT

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
~ 2020 Punk'n Metallic Rubicon JT ~ 2019 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack ~
Occupation
Director of IT
Vehicle Showcase
Since the only change they made so far is bleeding the lines, I didn't notice much. Maybe it feels like the clutch is grabbing quicker and holding stronger at let-off, but that may very well be my imagination as well. I'll report back once the clutch has been replaced.
Well that took awhile, but it's done. It took 2 weeks for the dealership to get the parts, then another couple weeks to get a loaner for me since they wanted two full days to get the job done. But the new clutch assembly has been installed. I have it back and have driven it for a few days. It is grabbing and letting go quickly at the top range of the clutch; right when I start pushing down it disengages the engine and the same at the let up. I find that I am shifting more smoothly now, and my butt-gauge feels like the truck is pulling stronger on acceleration, but that may be my imagination. My dealership, never able to complete a job in one visit, had my truck for a half day today to fix the rattle they introduced fixing the clutch. Turns out an exhaust hanger bolt was not tightened down, so it was a quick fix. I'm a Happy Camper now.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I called my local dealer (bought JT from them) last week to schedule clutch recall, they put me in for this morning. Dropped it off, went to work, they had it done by that afternoon. No leak, and they installed the sleeve. On the drive home, clutch felt good, and didn't notice the usual "blip" (feels like a misfire) when first getting on the throttle after an upshift. Maybe too early for a full eval but at first glance things look good. I realize the protective sleeve might not be a fix for the root cause but given what we have available I was very pleased with the service and turnaround time, and good to know nothing's leaking. Thanks Fosscars NH.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I called my local dealer (bought JT from them) last week to schedule clutch recall, they put me in for this morning. Dropped it off, went to work, they had it done by that afternoon. No leak, and they installed the sleeve. On the drive home, clutch felt good, and didn't notice the usual "blip" (feels like a misfire) when first getting on the throttle after an upshift. Maybe too early for a full eval but at first glance things look good. I realize the protective sleeve might not be a fix for the root cause but given what we have available I was very pleased with the service and turnaround time, and good to know nothing's leaking. Thanks Fosscars NH.
Did you hit them up on the steering box TSB while you were there?

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
didn't notice the usual "blip" (feels like a misfire) when first getting on the throttle after an upshift.
Say you went up from 2nd to 3rd, a blip right after getting into 3rd or after being in 3rd and building a few revs?

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Say you went up from 2nd to 3rd, a blip right after getting into 3rd or after being in 3rd and building a few revs?
I haven't paid too close attention to which gear it occurs in, but it's not immediately after the shift. It's after building some revs. But not too long after the shift. It's infrequent. Also seems to happen less if I'm a little heavier on the throttle.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Did you hit them up on the steering box TSB while you were there?
I did. They ordered the parts and I'll drop it off in a few days. Looking forward to feeling the difference now that I've got used to the current steering after 8k miles.

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Updated post with more info:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:

In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:
If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-1-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-2-png.png

jeep-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-clutch-recall-overheat-3-png.png

Original post:

EDIT: The pressure plate in the Aisin D478 is being recalled but dealers do not have a fix yet. I assume this applies to ALL manuals, and Jeep has put a stop sale on all 6 speeds for the time being. I checked mine this morning and sure enough, risk of fire or basically a bell housing "explosion" when the clutch plate shrapnel goes flying through. To check your VIN go here https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

This was the recall info posted when I looked up my VIN. I assume this applies to the JL/JLU as well since its the same transmission. Maybe Jeep will swap us out with a better clutch now and junk the original setup....especially with the Bronco about to roll out with a 7 speed. It never made any sense that our tow rating was so drastically affected from the auto, maybe the speculation about a weak clutch was correct.

Untitled.png
had my oil change and they ordered the part for me. just have to come back and get it done. was told it takes 2 hours. hoping to get a loaner

Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I haven't paid too close attention to which gear it occurs in, but it's not immediately after the shift. It's after building some revs. But not too long after the shift. It's infrequent. Also seems to happen less if I'm a little heavier on the throttle.
That could just be the variable valve timing.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
That could just be the variable valve timing.
Could be. Though I never felt this before on 2 previous Pentastar JKs and I assume those had VVT too. But no doubt the programming has changed since then too.

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have the similar symptom when shifting from 2nd to 3rd around 3k rpm. Sounds like the plate is rattling/buzzing but only when truck is warmed up (driving for an hour or so)

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Or it could be an extremely lean tune , stop start ,lightweight fly wheels ,rev hang . all are killing the manual experience !
Sponsored