Sponsored

Cost to do a Hemi 5.7 or 6.4 swap in a Jeep Gladiator?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
$35k turned into $50k for me, and I couldn’t justify it.
It is a big nut to justify all at once when you basically can be buying another new Gladiator for the same amount of money.

Owning a Gladiator or even a Wrangler is not for penny pinchers and expect to be enjoying it, but Youtube influencer channels make it seem like a economic norm when the rest of us do not have the luxury to offset those types of costs and hide behind sponsorships that many of those do.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Why would one need new axles if you do a hemi swap?

The extra power? The diesel has 400+ torque. So the stock axles should hold up fine to the 5.7.

It is interesting that the gladiator has ~8.5” ring gear and the grand Cherokee has 9”.

But heck, older Dodge Vipers used an aluminum d44 center section with the thick ring gear. The WJ 4.7L HO used essentially the same center section as the viper.

Who’s to say, it’s all screwy it seems.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If I were to do a hemi swap, I personally, would forego the axels till if/when needed.
I have no desire to race mustangs and Camaros at stoplights, have a Z06 for that, and learned long ago, there’s no loss in pride winching out of situations opposed to grenading axels.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A base 5.7L swap would be cool. The 8 speed and 5.7L was my favorite part of my old Ram. Such a great combination, IMO. Smooth power delivery and great fuel economy for the vehicle size.

I’m not a fan of frivolous trade-ins, but if Jeep did a Hemi option with a Rubicon in ‘23+, I might consider a trade-in.
I agree with you. I don't really want my Gladiator to be FAST. I just want power to be effortless. A 5.7 will do that.

With any luck we will get the turbo straight 6 soon. That should solve the problem pretty well with more power than a 5.7 and similar torque to a 392.

Why would one need new axles if you do a hemi swap?

The extra power? The diesel has 400+ torque. So the stock axles should hold up fine to the 5.7.

It is interesting that the gladiator has ~8.5” ring gear and the grand Cherokee has 9”.

But heck, older Dodge Vipers used an aluminum d44 center section with the thick ring gear. The WJ 4.7L HO used essentially the same center section as the viper.

Who’s to say, it’s all screwy it seems.
I would imagine it partly has to do with how much you plan to abuse it. If you plan to launch it in 4Lo on a regular basis, you might break something.

If you bought it so that you had performance while rolling, then most likely no problem.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I'm considering a Hemi swap in my JKR. For all intents and purposes you can source a used 5.7 complete engine with harness and computers for $3500-4500. A used 4x4 8 speed run around $1500. For my needs a conversion harness for a JK is $1300. Mounts, exhaust, plumbing relocation, efan, regear and custom drive shafts will run another $4000-6000. All in I can do it for $13k, give or take a grand. Labor is free for me since I'd be the one doing it.

Now, to do all new crate engine, trans, tcase pretty much doubles the cost of those parts alone.

So, yeah, I can see a shop charging $35-50k to do a conversion with new parts. If they're using used drivetrain parts then that's a rip off.

Sponsored

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
Exodus 4x4 --- range from ~32k to 70k+ --- all depends on how many pockets you have to empty I guess. Looks like can even empty one of those Michael Jackson Beat It video jacket's worth of pockets. ;) For me, on the list of "lottery money" things to do. But as noted, once you've opened this Pandora's Box, add 1 ton axle upgrades, etc. probably looking at easily spending 80 - 100K.
Exodus has a good YouTube video on the different levels of swaps and it covers when and why to swap axels

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
I agree with you. I don't really want my Gladiator to be FAST. I just want power to be effortless. A 5.7 will do that.

With any luck we will get the turbo straight 6 soon. That should solve the problem pretty well with more power than a 5.7 and similar torque to a 392.
I'm hoping the turbo 6 becomes a swap option soon also. I had rather swap than trade and loose all my other upgrads

Reactions: N83

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping the turbo 6 becomes a swap option soon also. I had rather swap than trade and loose all my other upgrads
I was thinking of a trade rather than a swap. A motor like that is still going to be a $30,000 swap.

I assume Gladiator resale has taken a hit with $5/gal gas. But if you could get a decent price for the Jeep and then buy new from somewhere like Gupton at 7% off invoice.

Even better would be if the new engine becomes available before a complete redesign of the Wrangler/Gladiator so we can swap all of our accessiries/mods over to the new one. ha.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
if you hemi swap it, just being basic and thrift minded, are you going to become that big of a moron that you're going to MAT the fucking pedal till it blows the diffs, the axles and then the transmission, If this what's going to happen then you should have idiot Justin Bieber money and go balls out on the build max everything! built Dana 60's, bullet proof axles, built trans. build it like the biggest idiot in the world couldn't break it,!!!

but if which I'm sure 99% of us have a decent amount of common sense!! we do own and wheel these things! were not going out there to beat it till it breaks every time we push the start button! so in the idea of moderation, do the swap and up grade as things wear or if something does break, too many beers with buddies doing burn outs, you know that works!!

Hell, I'd be the first idiot to break something going from stoplight to stoplight! for sure! I'm good on the tree and the greenlight! drag racer at heart! Every Friday I'd have my Nova at the track.

being sensible might get a swap quicker and cheaper, is there kits out there yet, I haven't looked, later on I'd do it for sure, 6.4 or 5.7 head cam combo, fun!

and I know about this stuff, my street car all steel 70 Nova SS, should go 11.30's all motor, used to have 2 nitrous kits on it too, never been close, the rear ends all original, just replaced the wheel bearing in the 90's and 2000's bought from the 2nd owner he owned it since 74,

Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
You can do HEMI swap for 35K and keep everything else stock up to 37inch tires: would upgrade shafts if doing 38s and/or hard rock bouncing and full axles only if going 40s AND wheeling. If you just hang on pavement and Forest roads you can do your 40s with the stock axles and I cannot see how that’s an issue with the HEMI. I am now 18 months on my HEMI with 4.10 stock gears and 38x13.5 nittos where I upgraded to RCVs and Yukon shafts when these tires came on about half a year ago. Prior to that just rocked 37s stock plus engine

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
You can do HEMI swap for 35K and keep everything else stock up to 37inch tires: would upgrade shafts if doing 38s and/or hard rock bouncing and full axles only if going 40s AND wheeling. If you just hang on pavement and Forest roads you can do your 40s with the stock axles and I cannot see how that’s an issue with the HEMI. I am now 18 months on my HEMI with 4.10 stock gears and 38x13.5 nittos where I upgraded to RCVs and Yukon shafts when these tires came on about half a year ago. Prior to that just rocked 37s stock plus engine

Here's owner experience right here,

I'm assuming you paid to have the swap done, you have any pics of it or a thread somewhere??

I'd like to see your build,

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I mentioned what I had in an earlier reply. More in depth is, I have the stock Rubicon axles and transfer case. I had the 5.7 hemi installed by Exodus 4x4, geared at 4.88 and I started with 37's. I tow a 3800 lb. camper on vacations, which usually consists of 1600 to 1800 miles round trip.

First trip was to Colorado, Ouray area. Wheeled all week and drove back home. Last trip was to Moab and back with the camper and again, wheeled all week this time on 38's.

If a person just uses common sense I think these axles will hold up to a 38" tire and with some upgraded shafts will take some abuse without failing. Now once one goes over 38's and starts rock bouncing all bets are off and it would be time to go with heavy duty axles.

Until then I would wait on axles and see what type of wheeling you do and replace or upgrade as or when needed.

P90Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Launch Edition, 2011 JKU Rubicon
I'm sure someone has already answered this question somewhere. What is a good estimate of what it cost to do a Hemi 5.7 or a 6.4 swap in a Jeep Gladiator? Also any places near Indiana that will do this?

Thanks
You're generally looking at $35K minimum and very much more for higher hp configurations. This came highly recommended to me and I'm seriously considering it for my '20 JTR. 425hp and 365 ft lbs torque. Less than $7500.
https://www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com/2018-20-Stage-I-425HP-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-24-Door-and-2020-’21-Gladiator-Supercharger-Kit-wCalibration-EO-Pending_p_150.html

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
You're generally looking at $35K minimum and very much more for higher hp configurations. This came highly recommended to me and I'm seriously considering it for my '20 JTR. 425hp and 365 ft lbs torque. Less than $7500.
https://www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com/2018-20-Stage-I-425HP-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-24-Door-and-2020-’21-Gladiator-Supercharger-Kit-wCalibration-EO-Pending_p_150.html
Know those risks. I love my Magnuson, with what I know about the 3.6 now, I wouldn't do it again.
Sponsored