Sponsored

CP4 Fuel Pump EcoDiesel Recall

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
M

My JT was built 2/17/22. No recall. My motor might have been built before the recall dates.
I doubt your motor was sitting around for 5 months, let alone the fuel pump.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I doubt your motor was sitting around for 5 months, let alone the fuel pump.
The motor was built in Italy.........so who knows.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Might want to review the thread. From the recall notice:

"The suspect period began on June 4, 2020, when 3.0L Diesel engines with suspect HPFPs were introduced into vehicle production, and ended on May 13, 2022, when 3.0L Diesel engines with suspect HPFPs were no longer used in vehicle production. The suspect period was determined using supplier and vehicle production records."

Presumably one was before May 13 2022, one was after
Something in this Recall Notice wording, and the subsequent delay/non-existent status of recall parts does not stack up logically.

The notice above implies that they've had good fuel pumps since May 13 2022 that they can put in new trucks to sell, but they don't have ones to put into or fix pre May 12 2022 trucks. ?!?

Either:
1) there was a bad batch, the new batches are ok, and they have a supply issue that they don't have enough to put into both new trucks and fix old trucks... so they are prioritizing building new trucks over fixing existing trucks that could fail on the road.... or...
2) there is an inherent design flaw in the CP4, they need to engineer a new solution, which would mean the inference that the post May 13 pumps are OK is false, they are just de-prioritizing a recall on the newer trucks in order to fix the older ones first given their higher probability of failing sooner.

... or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Something in this Recall Notice wording, and the subsequent delay/non-existent status of recall parts does not stack up logically.

The notice above implies that they've had good fuel pumps since May 13 2022 that they can put in new trucks to sell, but they don't have ones to put into or fix pre May 12 2022 trucks. ?!?

Either:
1) there was a bad batch, the new batches are ok, and they have a supply issue that they don't have enough to put into both new trucks and fix old trucks... which means they are prioritizing making new sales over fixing trucks that could fail on the road.... or...
2) their is an inherent design flaw in the CP4, they need to engineer a new solution, which would mean the inference that the post May 13 pumps are OK is false, they are just de-prioritizing a recall on the newer trucks in order to fix the older ones first given their higher probability of failing sooner.

This is my thoughts too.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Exactly what I see. Here's hoping we get a new design, and then our post-May brethren get a note saying they're getting a fresh swap too.
Yes... to be fair to FCA, they may not have enough real world data yet on the newer trucks to know if they have enough of a statistical issue with those as well. Im just speculating there may be a batch difference, but who knows why FCA made the cutoff at Mar 13?

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
But... to be fair to me and other owners...

I'm having to rethink my summer plans... not sure I feel comfortable driving my ecoD into the Montana backwoods by my self anymore...at least not without satellite comms and a couple days supplies... seriously, not being sarcastic here!

Gotta re-think my emergency bag.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
But... to be fair to me and other owners...

I'm having to rethink my summer plans... not sure I feel comfortable driving my ecoD into the Montana backwoods by my self anymore...at least not without satellite comms and a couple days supplies... seriously, not being sarcastic here!

Gotta re-think my emergency bag.
I know I was relieved to have made it home from our 3,000 mile AZ/SoCal trip last weekend without a failure......... We carry sat coms all of the time and travel alone 90% of the time.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I've made 3 long distance trips last year. From the south of Pittsburgh to Lake Powell Ut and back. From south of Pittsburgh to Denver and back. From south of Pittsburgh to Mountain Home Ar and back. Planning on a couple more long trips this summer. I'm sitting at 22,000+ miles.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I've made 3 long distance trips last year. From the south of Pittsburgh to Lake Powell Ut and back. From south of Pittsburgh to Denver and back. From south of Pittsburgh to Mountain Home Ar and back. Planning on a couple more long trips this summer. I'm sitting at 22,000+ miles.
Similar boat with ours. I work from home but we just hit 50k just roaming around the country these past 2 years and plan to head back out west this summer with it.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

Either:
1) there was a bad batch, the new batches are ok, and they have a supply issue that they don't have enough to put into both new trucks and fix old trucks... so they are prioritizing building new trucks over fixing existing trucks that could fail on the road.... or...
2) there is an inherent design flaw in the CP4, they need to engineer a new solution, which would mean the inference that the post May 13 pumps are OK is false, they are just de-prioritizing a recall on the newer trucks in order to fix the older ones first given their higher probability of failing sooner.

I think it's option 2. We are all gonna be on the shit list eventually.

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
Isn't there something where a dealer can't sell a car with an open recall? If that's the case that would explain Jeeps reasoning. They can keep selling the new ones.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Similar boat with ours. I work from home but we just hit 50k just roaming around the country these past 2 years and plan to head back out west this summer with it.
I'm close to 50k too. I'm not worried if I'm on an interstate, or in town. Heck, I'm taking off tomorrow from AZ to Montana, Gladiator following my motorhome towing my trailer.

As long as I have a buddy vehicle, or a cell phone can get me service in an emergency, I'm not worried.

Its going into remote locations, solo, no cell phone coverage, no tow trucks, that I'm needing to ponder what other emergency gear I should take in case my pump goes out when I'm remote.
Sponsored