Sponsored

Dealer is amazed that I would lift a brand new Gladiator...

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Possibly, but I've dealt with these guys for quite a while now. Multiple vehicles. I mainly just never count on FCA/stellantis or any other manufacturer to actually take care of their product. Plan for out of pocket, and if they cover it great, if not, so be it.
That’s your choice. Some of us expect different after laying out the amount of cash these things cost. YMMV…
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It seems logical that a lift would negate suspension warranty claims, gear upgrades would eliminate axle warranties, but unrelated systems should not be affected.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Jeep is my daily driver. I don't want to deal with chasing down chassis and/or steering issues if I can avoid it. So it stays stock.

Because while a life won't "void a warranty" the dealer would be within reason to deny a claim that related to steering, suspension, driveshafts, or U joints. If you want to own that, then fantastic.

If my Jeep was not my daily driver, then I'd be fine with it. Its all about expectations and understanding the implications of your actions.

The fact that the OP has a pedestal lift in his garage tells us that hunting down steering or suspension issues is not something he's afraid of.

For every guy like the OP, there is a novice mall crawler who puts a 4" spacer lift on his truck (kind of kidding) with all stock suspension parts, then gets pissed when the dealer won't cover a warranty claim that the truck doesn't steer right.

I'm exaggerating to make a point. But its perfectly reasonable for the manufacturer to refuse to warrant an item or items that are impacted by an item that you have changed or replaced.

Its also unreasonable for a dealer to refuse to honor the warranty on items that are not affected. The idiot with the 4" spacer lift should still expect his power windows to be covered. for example.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer notified me before purchasing that lifting required a special surcharge to be included in the warranty.
This came up when working through the final options when I made my purchase ... it basically stated that any lift made to the vehicle would not void warranty. I paid it ... I had no idea if it was a Jeep thing or a dealer thing (probably dealer) ... but given Jeeps history of avoiding/voiding warranty I'm glad I did and have it documented. To each there own ...

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
It really varies dealer to dealer. Mine said as long as I didn't go forced induction, engine swap or axel swap then we were all good. If you have multiple options in your area do research on the dealers before you take it in.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Nice but that's never going to void your warranty. I only had 27 miles on mine and had 35's and lift on it. I ordered everything while I was waiting to sign the paperwork. Dropped it off at the shop the next morning, Had 35's put on on the drive home from the dealership.
My third party warranty would be covered up to a 2.5" lift as that's what can be installed from Mopar. So adding 35's isn't out of the question but the dealer to void a warranty.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It seems logical that a lift would negate suspension warranty claims, gear upgrades would eliminate axle warranties, but unrelated systems should not be affected.
Magnussen Moss Warranty Act of 1975 is your friend. A lift could invalidate a suspension claim, or even a claim on a CV joint. If you wanted to get absolutely nit-picky a larger than OEM wheel could invalidate a differential claim. An exhaust could invalidate an engine claim if the dealership is willing and able to demonstrate the change in back-pressure caused the failure, which is almost unheard of but not impossible. A supercharger will definitely invalidate any engine claims.

None of those things should impact any other systems and invalidating a claim on a warranty should put a note on that vehicle's VIN in the mnfr's system that future claims of the same type will not be honored (can't just take your 4" lift off and drive it to another dealer to have your CVs replaced), but it will not affect the status of the warranty as a whole, or your ability to make claims on parts that cannot be directly tied to your modifications.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
My dealer notified me before purchasing that lifting required a special surcharge to be included in the warranty.
What crooks

Coriolanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
That’s your choice. Some of us expect different after laying out the amount of cash these things cost. YMMV…

I bought mine when they first came out. The sales manager at the dealership already had his Rubicon with 37's and decked out. For the items I have had it in for they covered every single one. Including the death wobble that was caused by MY AFTERMARKET UPGRADED STEARING DAPNER. Yep they simply put a new OEM back on there for nada.
I guess the economy has changed that much since 2019

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
... I mainly just never count on FCA/stellantis or any other manufacturer to actually take care of their product. Plan for out of pocket, and if they cover it great, if not, so be it.
I share the same mentality as you. Although I have left my JT stock (for now), I have a 2014 JK that I started modding the day I brought it home, and I knew there were things that I was going to have to take responsibility for. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people can't afford to pay out of pocket for repairs, just like they can't really afford to purchase the vehicle in the first place.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I share the same mentality as you. Although I have left my JT stock (for now), I have a 2014 JK that I started modding the day I brought it home, and I knew there were things that I was going to have to take responsibility for. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people can't afford to pay out of pocket for repairs, just like they can't really afford to purchase the vehicle in the first place.
Anyone that modifies their vehicles before the factory warranty is expired (excluding cosmetic things of course) should be aware that those components are now their responsibility. If that’s not acceptable, the vehicles shouldn’t be modified until after the warranty is gone. One way to mitigate some of this, is to have major projects done by a reputable Jeep shop, who will warranty their own work. I do most of my own work, but paid to have suspension and gears done. It cost more, but the shop now warranties the project and parts through those vendors. Please don’t take this the wrong way. Doing your own modification and upgrade work is great, but it’s on you to deal with any problems that result. If you don’t want those problems that absolutely happen, don’t modify suspension or drivetrain. Skid plates and lights don’t void anything, just two examples.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If it were not for warranty, I'd just buy used. And skip the depreciation. I expect a new vehicle to have warranty coverage, because I'm paying for it with a new (or even certified pre-owned) vehicle. I've been there done that with modifying vehicles and paying out of pocket. This time, it's nice to just leave it alone, and let them cover it when stuff breaks. As much as I drive, the 36000 mile warranty is gone in less than 2 years anyway. I can wait that long. Nothing wrong with the pay to play mentality. I've done it too. This time, I'm not messing with it. I've already made it a year. One more to go.
Or to put it another way, if I do modify it, I'm going to modify it with stuff with a warranty. I don't want to pay out of pocket for repairs on a new vehicle again, because a big part of the purchase price was the warranty.

It just comes down to the amount of risk one is willing to take.

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Possibly, but I've dealt with these guys for quite a while now. Multiple vehicles. I mainly just never count on FCA/stellantis or any other manufacturer to actually take care of their product. Plan for out of pocket, and if they cover it great, if not, so be it.
I’m the same, but was actually amazed how Ford serviced and supported my Raptor with transmission issues. It was a nice surprise. Also they preemptively added warranty for the cam phaser issues some where having with the 3.5.
Wasn’t enough to keep me Ford, but was nice to see!!

OP
OP
Zachattack50

Zachattack50

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT
Occupation
Small business owner
Right, but I assume the Raptor was all stock. I would expect that with a stock truck. Still nice to have a good service dept for sure.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Whether the purchaser can or can’t afford the product has nothing to do with them expecting the manufacturer to live up to its end of the agreement they enter into when one purchases a new product.

The buyer agrees to whatever purchase price he negotiates and the manufacturer agrees to back that product through a warranty service for a set period of time.

The fact that you can or cannot afford to buy the vehicle, can or cannot afford to pay for a covered repair, or choose to pay for said repair even though its covered by the manufacturer/dealer are all irrelevant individual matters.
Sponsored