Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
but the lowered IATs are great peace of mind

Along the topic of IAT, I mentioned on another thread that I've been experimenting with the factory air box and using a Scan Guage II to monitor IAT. What I've found is that when I disassembled and removed the rubber seal off the factory airbox, and the mini-snorkle that it attaches to, it results in a wide open hole in the bottom side of the airbox where fresh air can then enter. On the Scan Gauge, I've been seeing IATs that are 10-20 degrees F lower than before.

Since I don't drive my Jeep through rivers up to the headlights, this is a better setup for me. The factory airbox is very good at keeping water out, but very bad at letting air in.
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Why would the trans temp go up when the fan was on?
If I understand it correctly, the Tazer takes the transmission oil temp and adds X amount to trick the computer to turn the fan on.

You probably can't change the actual temperature point (say, 200 oil temp) to have the fan turn on.

ZoneArc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Manager, Solutions Consulting
Just following this through to a consensus ... am I right if I say the following:

1. Changes such as relocating horns, adding scoops, adding a mesh grill, etc offer no major reward (if any).
  2. The only long-term fix we can expect is an oil cooler to be released by someone.
  3. Using the Tazer and enabling Cool-Down-Mode before you start climbing big hills can prolong the time between defueling/limp mode.
  4. You should keep your vehicle at 40mph (max) on big grades when towing.
  5. At this time, no manufacturer is looking in to a cooling solution, so it's possible we may not seen one ever, or at least for a long time.

Am I missing anything?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Just following this through to a consensus ... am I right if I say the following:

1. Changes such as relocating horns, adding scoops, adding a mesh grill, etc offer no major reward (if any).
  2. The only long-term fix we can expect is an oil cooler to be released by someone.
  3. Using the Tazer and enabling Cool-Down-Mode before you start climbing big hills can prolong the time between defueling/limp mode.
  4. You should keep your vehicle at 40mph (max) on big grades when towing.
  5. At this time, no manufacturer is looking in to a cooling solution, so it's possible we may not seen one ever, or at least for a long time.

Am I missing anything?
I think you got it all. I’d add that the diesel still makes me smile when I drive it.

ZoneArc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Another thread on this topic on the forum indicates Bulletproof Diesel out of AZ is working on an oil cooler now with a possible September release date.

Sponsored

Hondo1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Oil and gas
Another thread on this topic on the forum indicates Bulletproof Diesel out of AZ is working on an oil cooler now with a possible September release date.
i believe the September date given was for a prototype to be beta tested.

ZoneArc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
i believe the September date given was for a prototype to be beta tested.
Good enough. Having a company in the beta testing stage this year is *something*. Means we could see a product by Q2 next year thats production ready and tested.

Andy@AAV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Occupation
Engineer
Question: does adding the tow package, which comes with “heavy duty engine cooling”, actually change anything on the diesel? I don’t think so, but can’t seem to find anything that says. I’m assuming that having the tow package is not a factor in those who are experiencing de-rating.

I’m on the fence with purchasing a 2022 and hoping they address this issue.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Question: does adding the tow package, which comes with “heavy duty engine cooling”, actually change anything on the diesel? I don’t think so, but can’t seem to find anything that says. I’m assuming that having the tow package is not a factor in those who are experiencing de-rating.

The diesel comes with the HD cooling.

OP
OP
jeepin48

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer

The problem still exists with the tow package. The diesels all come with the same cooling fan (HD 800-900 Watt cooling fan), axle ratio (wide for rubicon), and alternator.

If you live near big mountains or temps in the 100s it can be an issue. More so if you are towing and or have tires over 35s.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Interesting read (all 21 pages). I'm still in the research phase of buying Rubicon EcoDiesel, so I'm reading every thread and of course taking everything with a grain of salt.

I see this as a matter of relieving/removing the hot air under the hood.

There are a bunch of little mods that can have some impact on the cooling effort; think for there to be success its a matter of stacking all of these mods together. (vents, grill mod, fender liners, horns, bumper choice and placement of accessories to the front)

Ingesting a bunch of cool air is moot if you can not remove the hot air its competing with; hence the heat soak issues. On every build I have done I always add the largest trans cooler and oil cooler I can fit. The first person or company to offer these as bolt on/simple DIY solution will make some good money. In the meantime, we're going to have to get crafty and make it happen.

What's concerning/disappointing is that there appear to be a bunch of void warranty happy dealers out there. Historically, Jeeps have been one of the most mod friendly vehicles out there.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The problem still exists with the tow package. The diesels all come with the same cooling fan (HD 800-900 Watt cooling fan), axle ratio (wide for rubicon), and alternator.

If you live near big mountains or temps in the 100s it can be an issue. More so if you are towing and or have tires over 35s.
I thought somebody posted that their diesel had a 940w fan?

The largest you can get on a gas engine is 850w.

I do know that when my fan kicks on at high speed it's LOUD and moves a ton of air.

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I thought somebody posted that their diesel had a 940w fan?

The largest you can get on a gas engine is 850w.

I do know that when my fan kicks on at high speed it's LOUD and moves a ton of air.
I have the 940w fan on my EcoDiesel Rubicon, 2" lift running 35's. Since I live near a few mountain passes in Utah and have been playing around with the Tazer Mini Cooling Fan, it really does make a difference. But the engine will still produce more heat than the cooling system can disperse even with the fan on high.

All you people with Tazer Mini's should turn the fan on high ( right arrow - cc/cancel) buttons, before you start a climb, it makes a big difference helping the ram air get forced thru the engine compartment. I can tell I have it on because my transmission temp gauge reads 231°f as soon as I push the buttons. When off it goes back to displaying normal temps.

I've even gotten into the habit of raising the hood when I stop for fuel to shed some heat instead of it heat soaking everything.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
🛑🛑🛑🛑PLEASE READ🛑🛑🛑🛑

PEOPLE COULD WE ALL PLEASE CONTACT MISHIMOTO

cause i know they're a good brand and one of the best ones and if we could all contact them and tell them if they could start making radiators and oil coolers for the jeep gladiator 3.6 and ecodiesels cause they're never gonna make anything if we dont tell them what we need and want

please take take the time and fill out their product suggestion form :D
https://www.mishimoto.com/contact/

The more people that actually take the time and contact them they will most likely take us serious cause i know some of yall actually want to have a nice radiator and oil cooler to keep our engines nice and cool and have them stay happy and not run hot :)
Sponsored