First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I spoke with insane diesel about their bypass filter and oil cooler. They said they have seen great results on ecodiesels. They also said that the Saint. George dealer is installing them for customers because they have seen so many issues.
I’m currently at the dealer getting my last free oil change so I brought it up because I worry about my warranty. I spoke with a manager who said they haven’t seen any oil heating issues. He went on to say that if my dash light isn’t coming on it’s within normal operating temperatures. I told him I see 250+oil temps which he thinks is perfectly fine. He even said, the vehicle is doing what it’s supposed to do. Shocking that anyone who works on cars thinks that oil temp is acceptable but I guess that’s what you get from the dealer.

In other news they expect a fuel pump solution in August or September
Sponsored

azaustin

First Name
Willliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2014 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
I‘m watching the Insane Diesel setup closely. Thanks for the information about the Dealer in St. George. I’m assuming your referring to the Jeep Dealer. I get up that way from time to time and will give them a call. We just camped in Hurricane (which is about 20 miles East) last week on the first leg of our trip. Until I can figure out how to get the oil temps down a little, I can’t really feel comfortable using the full power of my Ecodiesel. That’s a shame.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I spoke with insane diesel about their bypass filter and oil cooler. They said they have seen great results on ecodiesels. They also said that the Saint. George dealer is installing them for customers because they have seen so many issues.
I’m currently at the dealer getting my last free oil change so I brought it up because I worry about my warranty. I spoke with a manager who said they haven’t seen any oil heating issues. He went on to say that if my dash light isn’t coming on it’s within normal operating temperatures. I told him I see 250+oil temps which he thinks is perfectly fine. He even said, the vehicle is doing what it’s supposed to do. Shocking that anyone who works on cars thinks that oil temp is acceptable but I guess that’s what you get from the dealer.

250 is pretty high, but oil burners are designed to run hot because they are more efficient that way. Not saying Jeep's margins are tight but you shouldn't compare expected gas temps with oil burner temps.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

That's the sump temperature. The shear forces can mean oil in the rod bearings is higher, as is oil sprayed at piston bottoms.
Whether or not that's "too hot" depends on the oil itself - some may have a higher thermal breakdown temperature. Some oils will start to break down in that 250-260 range, some will go higher.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the sump temperature. The shear forces can mean oil in the rod bearings is higher, as is oil sprayed at piston bottoms.
Whether or not that's "too hot" depends on the oil itself - some may have a higher thermal breakdown temperature. Some oils will start to break down in that 250-260 range, some will go higher.
The full syth 5w-40 they recommend that meets MS-12991 has a flash point of 419 degrees Fahrenheit. Not trying to say flash is the same as thermal breakdown, just state a value at which absolute failure of oil occurs. Seems most good diesel oils all float around 419 to 450 in temps. Rotella T4 for instance flashes at 451F.

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 1686097561664

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that's flash point, a different animal, but the threshold of thermal breakdown is when the light parts, often some of the protective chemistry of the oils, begin to vaporize, reducing the oil's lifespan and eventually its ability to protect.

Doesn't mean it stops protecting just that it's been weakened and the more time it spends at that temperature or above, the less effective it is compared to when it was new.
It's something I watch even on gas engines -if the oil gets hot for a length of time, I won't go as long between changes.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that's flash point, a different animal, but the threshold of thermal breakdown is when the light parts, often some of the protective chemistry of the oils, begin to vaporize, reducing the oil's lifespan and eventually its ability to protect.

Doesn't mean it stops protecting just that it's been weakened and the more time it spends at that temperature or above, the less effective it is compared to when it was new.
It's something I watch even on gas engines -if the oil gets hot for a length of time, I won't go as long between changes.
Is there a ASTM # for breakdown temp? Seems like it would be a important value needed in the design of a motor that is intended to run hot. (seems the trend these days, hello turbo everything)

Seems as though most oil MFRs just focus on Flash Point ASTM. Us lay folk are left with crossing our fingers and crudely drawing a parallel to oils with high flash also can hold up better to prolonged high heat. But we don't have any empirical data to back that up.

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent

I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find out.
i agree, I feel like I have to baby it which sucks. I’d like to get an overland trailer but until I can get the oil issue resolved there’s no way I’d be comfortable doing that.

Sponsored

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Just buy the filter housing and filter from ID.
Tap the filter housing plug, add a bung to the oil pan, purchase your own cooler and hoses.
End up with a cleaner installation, better cooling, spend less money.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Just buy the filter housing and filter from ID.
Tap the filter housing plug, add a bung to the oil pan, purchase your own cooler and hoses.
End up with a cleaner installation, better cooling, spend less money.
Filter housing has two plugs already. People have added a cooling loop to this but it doesnt drop it enough to curb overheating issue.

At this point I am still leaning towards a radiator and some way to lower the thermostat temp. The oil overheating is an "acute" symptom. Lowering the coolant running temp will help to curb this by giving more overhead. The oil temp cant be 250 degrees if the engine is 195-200.....

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Filter housing has two plugs already. People have added a cooling loop to this but it doesnt drop it enough to curb overheating issue.

At this point I am still leaning towards a radiator and some way to lower the thermostat temp. The oil overheating is an "acute" symptom. Lowering the coolant running temp will help to curb this by giving more overhead. The oil temp cant be 250 degrees if the engine is 195-200.....
I was just stating a less expensive way to do the ID set up.
I actually have what I stated in my #7000 JT turning 42’s with 5.13 gears that I pull a 4K off-road trailer with. I haven’t had any oil temps above 242* since I installed the system.
The ID system I installed works great.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

azaustin

First Name
Willliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2014 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
This photo was taken this morning going up Lizard Head Pass between Ouray and Rigdeway. Oil temp was 266, 3rd gear, 40mph. It went to 267 shortly after this was taken. Please ignore the Kardashian thing on the screen. My partner was charging the iPhone and it somehow came up. The low speed really wasn’t a problem because much of that road has a 45 mph limit. In spite of the climb from around 8,000 feet to over 10,000, I averaged 15.6 mpg between Ridgeway and Cortez. Not bad pulling a 5,000lb trailer. Worst was Twin Falls to Nampa, ID, 10.1 mpg.

IMG_8778.jpeg
Sponsored