Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Yes. I trimmed mine as pictured, along with the mentioned SB scoops:

IMG_2290.JPG
Doesn't make nuch sense to suck through that tiny hole lower in the airbox when they have this massive availability.

Deleted member 22728

As I have said......repeatedly.....my training, my experience, etc.

IMG_2290.JPG

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Hi folks , thought I would give real world examples of what my JTRD does with a couple mods. First thing I did was to add a ProVent 200 new style catch can. It has pulled about a litre of crap, oil, water and sludge from my lovely diesel. I currently have 26k on my truck so my"one litre" of crap has not been ingested by the intake, turbo and valve train. Did this mod right away, and sorry guys FCA engineers are controlled by the bean counters. The Centrifical separator only does so much. Want to see how bad they are, pull the rubber tube off the intake tube. It will be full of oil. Next immeadiate removal was the plastic cover on the engine and the rubber noise boots. Gone before I left the dealership just hold heat in, not what our diesels need. Maybe for winter use, but I have never had them on my engine. Next thing to do, open the bottom on the hood vents and make them real and functional. The heat coming out of mine summer and winter would scare you!
I pull a bunch of trailers since new. My boat the heaviest at 3500lbs. I have never seen my temperature above the middle mark on my dash! Hot day Cold day and everything in between. I have pulled at 100 degrees out and at -20 she just purrs. Oil changes every 5000km religiously. Shell Rotella T6 sinthetic only. Just what FCA wants. I am a retired heavy equipment diesel mechanic. Bypass oil system coming soon. PS. I run a Clayton 4.5 inch lift on front 3.5 inch on rear with upper and lower control arms and Currie Rock Jock Tie Rod and Drag link. All this stuff is super beefy. Lots of theory on this site and lots of neat ideas. What I have done is working and I want my truck to go 500km plus. And it will!!! Cheers all.
@JT4000 Do you have any additional tips, pics, info on the ProVent install? Thanks!

Sponsored

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
Hi guys, have been under the weather with COVID for a week and have not been on the forum. First thing I want to address is someones comment on my temps being 220-240 in the middle of my gauge. I have a Canadian truck. My gauge is right at 100degrees celcuis in the middle. That's 212 degrees in American Fahrenheit. Verified with my dealer Friday during a service. My truck has never seen 100 celcius. I runs 94-97 always. That is nowhere near 220-240. That is a fact with my now 30k engine. Just clarifying to whoever commented on my trucks temp gauge. I just got off another forum and was asked for photos of my catch can installation. I will post some into the future. We are in the middle of our 4th blizzard in as many weeks up here.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Hi guys, have been under the weather with COVID for a week and have not been on the forum.
I just got off another forum and was asked for photos of my catch can installation. I will post some into the future.
Thank you for self quarantining yourself from the group. šŸ˜‰
Seriously, glad youā€™re feeling better!
Iā€™m looking forward to the catch can write-up
Take care

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Hi guys, have been under the weather with COVID for a week and have not been on the forum. First thing I want to address is someones comment on my temps being 220-240 in the middle of my gauge. I have a Canadian truck. My gauge is right at 100degrees celcuis in the middle. That's 212 degrees in American Fahrenheit. Verified with my dealer Friday during a service. My truck has never seen 100 celcius. I runs 94-97 always. That is nowhere near 220-240. That is a fact with my now 30k engine. Just clarifying to whoever commented on my trucks temp gauge. I just got off another forum and was asked for photos of my catch can installation. I will post some into the future. We are in the middle of our 4th blizzard in as many weeks up here.
Glad you are doing better! Pics can wait until the spring thaw :)

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
Hi Guys, I just noticed 1979Wagoneers post on his intake boot mod. I have done the same thing but for a different reason, same result though. My airbox was filling up with ice and snow during snow storms. Happened driving and also if the truck was parked into the wind. You notice a significant decrease in power. I pulled mine into the garage and low and behold the lower air box FULL of snow and Ice!! Cut the tube that pulls air from the right hand grill and then removed material from top inlet. You can feel the engine breath better and yesterday and today in huge snowstorm no snow and ice in the lower airbox. FCA Engineers, I thought you had severe weather tested our trucks. Cold is not severe weather, cold and wind and blowing snow is. NUFF Said!

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Hi folks , thought I would give real world examples of what my JTRD does with a couple mods. First thing I did was to add a ProVent 200 new style catch can. It has pulled about a litre of crap, oil, water and sludge from my lovely diesel. I currently have 26k on my truck so my"one litre" of crap has not been ingested by the intake, turbo and valve train. Did this mod right away, and sorry guys FCA engineers are controlled by the bean counters. The Centrifical separator only does so much. Want to see how bad they are, pull the rubber tube off the intake tube. It will be full of oil. Next immeadiate removal was the plastic cover on the engine and the rubber noise boots. Gone before I left the dealership just hold heat in, not what our diesels need. Maybe for winter use, but I have never had them on my engine. Next thing to do, open the bottom on the hood vents and make them real and functional. The heat coming out of mine summer and winter would scare you!
I pull a bunch of trailers since new. My boat the heaviest at 3500lbs. I have never seen my temperature above the middle mark on my dash! Hot day Cold day and everything in between. I have pulled at 100 degrees out and at -20 she just purrs. Oil changes every 5000km religiously. Shell Rotella T6 sinthetic only. Just what FCA wants. I am a retired heavy equipment diesel mechanic. Bypass oil system coming soon. PS. I run a Clayton 4.5 inch lift on front 3.5 inch on rear with upper and lower control arms and Currie Rock Jock Tie Rod and Drag link. All this stuff is super beefy. Lots of theory on this site and lots of neat ideas. What I have done is working and I want my truck to go 500km plus. And it will!!! Cheers all.
No codes being thrown on the catch can? There are a bunch of wrangler threads with guys who have ecoD's and run catch cans and get codes. Seems there is a pressure sensor in the system that is very sensitive to change.

Sponsored

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
Hi guys, today is cold and clear so I took a few photos of the Pro-Vent Catch Can installation. And on the same topic about MIL's. Yes the truck runs most of the time with a MIL on. I run a Blue Driver through my phone and iPad and monitor my trucks vitals. With the Pro-Vent system the engine thinks its CCV is either disconnected or blowing to atmosphere. Have spoken the techs and they won't do anything, said they cannot "modify FCA parameters".Very odd that the computer will not reset itself seeing that the CCV is a closed loop from the Centrifical Oil Separator to the intake pipe. So I and they clear the MIL and I drive for 500km and the MIL comes back on. I would rather catch the crud than worry about a MIL on the dash. I will one day include a picture of my "jar of crud" that did not enter my intake system, turbo, and manifold, and combustion chambers.

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
The tubing is 1 inch I/D automotive hose. The elbows and straights are 1 inch PVC fittings and the clamps are clamps. The drain out the bottom of the Pro-Vent is 1/2 inch reinforced clear hose with a valve 10 inches from the bottom and then another dangling below it. I just crawl under and drain into a glass jar.

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
I used existing bolts on the top of the rad that were not used by Jeep for some reason, very convienient for us. The Pro-Vent is mounted on a piece of 1 inch by 1 inch "L" angle. The piece of angle over the rad has an ARCH cut/ground into the bottom to match the shape of the top of the rad shroud. Drill holes into the other side of the angle to mount the Pro-Vent clamp. be aware of the height of your hood. I kept the top tubes out of the Pro-Vent on the same plane as the one that comes off the engine. The tube to remove is the one from the front of the right hand cylinder head with the Centrifical Oil Seperater and it runs about 14 inches to the intake pipe.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Can you put a volt meter to the intake sensor to see what volt or resistance it's readings, then just patch in dongle that feeds that sensor the value it wants to see?

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
I have not had a chance to do any sensor testing. I have been trying to get the vacuum right for the darn computer by playing with the inner filter media. On some tech site I believe I read that the sensor measures oil mist as well so were all going to have "good luck with that" senario there.
Sponsored