Sponsored

Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock?

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
Someone on this Forum recommended these. I am impressed with the build quality and ease of installation. Seem very secure.

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg
Yep, mine's been solid after a few trips, no rattles, nice heavy quality. I just included the key as part of the main fob ring so any servicing will have the key handy.
Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately, with the JT you have to clip out a section of the grill to have full access to the lock cylinder. I looked at a few install videos and didn't like how they butchered the grill. The JL's have larger grill openings and works better on them.
Mopar's comes with a new grill. I was suppose to get one, my salsemen said he ordered it back in Feb when I picked up Mojave but I think he is full of BS and never ordered it...The cones on the new grill are slightly different...This was for mojave, not sure if it is different for your trim.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Mopar's comes with a new grill. I was suppose to get one, my salsemen said he ordered it back in Feb when I picked up Mojave but I think he is full of BS and never ordered it...The cones on the new grill are slightly different...This was for mojave, not sure if it is different for your trim.
You can install a JL grill in the JT but it is a three-piece system and spendy. If you just get the JL center section with the kit, the JT grill sides won't match it. The kit is really meant for the JL (unless things have changed since I last researched it a few months ago). All JT grills are the same no matter the trim. Smaller "honeycomb" openings vs the JL.

That is why I just went with hood latch locks. Too much BS.

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
I've been contemplating hood locks for quite some time, not that I have anything to take under the hood. I've watched many videos of Gladiators and JL's being stolen quietly and quickly. Nearly all thieves reach into the engine compartment and do something (cut horn wires?). Then open the hood, do something near the fuse box or battery. Then they seem to be able to use their scan tool or laptop to unlock the Jeep and get it started basically instantly. If a hood lock stops this and encourages them to move on, I'm all in.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I don't care. My truck is garaged 90% of the time and I generally don't go places where people will screw with you.

However, a friend of mine has a hood lock that uses the standard latches, but installs in the center of the hood. All you see is a small cylinder in the top of the grill cutout. Its very discrete. I actually thought it was for a block heater for the first few years he had it.
I installed the locking replacement hood latches that bring some peace of mind when I cannot be in close proximity to the vehicle. Nothing will keep the determined thief out, and these are nearly indistinguishable from the original latches.

JKR Bump 1.jpg

Sponsored

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Gladiators and JL's being stolen quietly and quickly. Nearly all thieves reach into the engine compartment and do something (cut horn wires?). Then open the hood, do something near the fuse box or battery. Then they seem to be able to use their scan tool or laptop to unlock the Jeep and get it started basically instantly.
Thus the thought that a third horn further back in the engine bay may save the day.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You can install a JL grill in the JT but it is a three-piece system and spendy. If you just get the JL center section with the kit, the JT grill sides won't match it. The kit is really meant for the JL (unless things have changed since I last researched it a few months ago). All JT grills are the same no matter the trim. Smaller "honeycomb" openings vs the JL.

That is why I just went with hood latch locks. Too much BS.
I might go with hood latches too (eventually), for now Mojave is 100% for fun and enjoyment both on and wheeling off road, every night she gets tucked away in the Garage. I use my 2003 STS for choirs aroud town and elsewhere --- AND it has a hood lock too! :) They invented them quite some time ago, maybe Jeep will catch up eventually.😉

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I installed the locking replacement hood latches that bring some peace of mind when I cannot be in close proximity to the vehicle. Nothing will keep the determined thief out, and these are nearly indistinguishable from the original latches.

JKR Bump 1.jpg
What Brand did you use for the lacthes?

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74

I live in a very rural area so on a daily basis, I don't worry too much about those "prying eyes". But as I stated earlier in this thread, I installed Raptor locking steel hood latches and a Mopar locking gas cap anyway. When visiting my elderly Mother who lives in the city, it is added piece of mind.

But to tell you the truth, I worry more about my entire truck being stolen on those visits. It can be unnerving! 😧

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

I live in a very rural area so on a daily basis, I don't worry too much about those "prying eyes". But as I stated earlier in this thread, I installed Raptor locking steel hood latches and a Mopar locking gas cap anyway. When visiting my elderly Mother who lives in the city, it is added piece of mind.

But to tell you the truth, I worry more about my entire truck being stolen on those visits. It can be unnerving! 😧
Better keep the doors on! I guess that's why these are called "prized possessions,"

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
All JT grills are the same no matter the trim. Smaller "honeycomb" openings vs the JL.
Oops. Let me rephrase that. The JL grill openings are smaller than the JT. Sorry for any misinformation.

Here is a pic of the Mopar hood lock kit. Again, the application is for the JL.

Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? 1659186632091

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
What Brand did you use for the lacthes?
Look at my post... you can actually see the locks in the pics, the material and design is exactly like the OEM latches. Mine use a barrel key vs a blade key. The ones with the blade key can be picked with just about anything.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military