Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 3.6L is under powered for the JT?

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Like most, I’d be interested in a Hemi V8 just for the “more power” part of me. Truth is that my 2012 JKUR 3.6 with 4:10 gears and 35” BFGs really is enough. The extra engine tweaks and 8 speed trans will add some to the driveline I have now so I feel good with the Pentastar and think it is fit for the intended purpose.
Sponsored

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Like most, I’d be interested in a Hemi V8 just for the “more power” part of me. Truth is that my 2012 JKUR 3.6 with 4:10 gears and 35” BFGs really is enough. The extra engine tweaks and 8 speed trans will add some to the driveline I have now so I feel good with the Pentastar and think it is fit for the intended purpose.
I really wish they'd give us a Hemi V8 option. Even if it's a small Hemi or something, just give me 8 cylinders and some decent HP!

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I really wish they'd give us a Hemi V8 option. Even if it's a small Hemi or something, just give me 8 cylinders and some decent HP!
They've already said why they won't put a Hemi in from the factory, it would require them to stretch the front end to keep federally required crumple zones. I'm looking forward to the diesel option coming up, and the possible 3.0T I6 that could replace the 3.6 eventually.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
They've already said why they won't put a Hemi in from the factory, it would require them to stretch the front end to keep federally required crumple zones.
Did they say this about the 5.7 or was it a response to a question about the 6.4? I seem to remember a video where they were asked about the 6.4, but didn't address the possibility of the 5.7 L.

Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Did they say this about the 5.7 or was it a response to a question about the 6.4? I seem to remember a video where they were asked about the 6.4, but didn't address the possibility of the 5.7 L.
It was in reference to both hemi engines. Putting one in would make it nearly impossible for them to meet crash safety standards in the front.

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
They also state that the diesel will cover what people want from a hemi (more low end torque) at some point. While I realize you get more than that from a Hemi than that, I think what they're trying to create is a crawler that spins bigger wheels with ease.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on what you are doing and your definition of under powered. My GC Trailhawk with 3.73s weighs 200 lbs less than a stock JT Rubicon. I tow small trailers and lots of gear over landing. I find the 3.6 plenty powerful with the 8 speed. But I’m not towing heavy trailers or trying to spin tires. I have a JT Rubicon on order and have driven them. I think the 3.6 is fine it you want to tow a 2-4 thousand lbs and you’re not looking for a race car.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking to tow 5000 lbs somewhat comfortably (tall cargo trailer, mostly).

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm looking to tow 5000 lbs somewhat comfortably (tall cargo trailer, mostly).
I agree with that expectation, that's about what I'm planning as well... gotta leave room for family + dogs in the truck itself.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My gut tells me the JT with 3.6 is not gonna like a 5K, tall trailer.

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
As has been the case with my JKU and towing... going in with realistic expectations makes it all a lot more tolerable. (c:

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I don't think any midsize truck would like a 5k tall trailer. Just say'n.

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
It wasn’t that long ago that full size trucks with V8s were making sub 250hp and weighed about the same as the gladiator. We worked them like rented mules and I never remember thinking they were underpowered. My how times have changed.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I would love to see a Gladiator and Wrangler on the same dyno on the same day. Would be interesting to see if Jeep changed any of the stock tuning for the pickup truck application. It sure feels a lot different to me having just stepped out of a JLU and into a JT. Power delivery, engine note, etc. is different.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
On paper compared to my 2014 Silverado with the 4.3 v6 makes 285hp and 305 ftlb of torque and weighing in at approximately 5140 lbs curb weight. In the other corner the Gladiator specs at 4650 at base trim. Im ordering a sport S with manual so this comparison is fine for me. Both trucks have 3.73 gearing. I don't anticipate any issue.

Math shows about 18lbs/hp and about 16.9lbs/ftlb of torque for the Silverado. I tow a exceptionally heavy pop-up camper that has a Max GVRW 3800lbs then load up the truck with firewood and coolers toss bikes and a canoe on the camper. Fairly certain the camper is over weight. Never any issue compared to hauling with the v8 avalanche before. Also no issue pulling a John Deere 1010 about 4000lbs plus trailer.

The gladiator looks to be fairly comparable with 16.3lbs/hp and 17.5lbs/ftlb. Noting lower numbers are better so it does lack some torque but with the low first gear it should be able to get moving pretty well.

Aside from pulling the camper a couple times a year I don't feel like I would have a problem. Also note that I have not driven a gladiator as of yet so I can make hypothesis based on research and past experience.

IMG_20171006_180400.jpg
IMG_20170721_152313.jpg
Sponsored