Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Mine said it's the mopar vehicle protection team I need to talk too. A
So I am currently on hold ugh.
Did they give you a phone contact for vehicle protection team, or just pass the issue along internally?
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Ok... I'm about to disappoint a few folks.... The OEM take off coils(2022 JTRD) are the same as the 2021.

Front coils=
6377AA
6378AA
Front shocks=
68341421AF

* same upper bump stops as @22EcoDs

To report I haven't had any jarring bottoming out or any bottoming out that I have noticed. I do see a little "dirt" on the bumpstops, But that could of happened anywhere / anyway .. I have not done any testing. But to put things in perspective, I only have about 350 miles on her and they are all easy highway miles, dealership to home. *NOTE: I had the lift installed prior to delivery, so I can not compare the difference in the ride.

Pics show:
1. OEM Takeoff Springs (off vehicle in the crate).
2. OEM Takeoff Shocks (off vehicle in the crate).
3. Upper Bump Stop and Lower Bump Plate as they were when I took delivery after lift was installed.
4. Upper bump stop as it was when I took delivery after lift was installed, ***Notice the "collar" attached to the bump stop. (looks the same as @22EcoDs without lift installed).
5. Lower bump plate as it was when I took delivery after lift was installed.
6/7. Just for more info for comparison, the measurement of the travel distance between the lower bump stop plate and the upper bump stop housing lip.(3-11/16")

*** @PackMule looks like you might be onto something concerning the collar... mmmmm

Pics attached.....

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep-L:R-FrontCoil#s
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep-L:R-FrontShocks
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep-Left-Upper:LowerBumpStops

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep-Left-FrontBumpSto

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep-Left-LowerBumpPlate

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep=TravelDistance:BumpStop-Far

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep=TravelDistance:BumpStop-Close

Last edited:

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Yup... 6376AA, 6377AA, and 6378AA are the springs used in the 2021's, ... at least on Rubicons. Hopefully a '22 Rubicon owner like @SargeDiesel can check and report their spring numbers. 6377AA might be ok for a Sport, but questionable on a Rubicon.

'Cause if they DIDN'T stiffen the springs for 2022 Rubicons, and just put a neck collar on the bumpstop, like a whiplash patient, I don't think I'd trust this "fix"
confirmed I have a "whiplash" patient in my driveway ...Ha Ha HA !!

Maybe you can explain..(take away that I have the lift installed, I would be just like @22EcoDs , same springs and a "collared" bump stop on my JTRD.. How would a collar fix anything ? I can see it would stop the bottom plate from contacting the metal lip of the upper bump stop housing, but now it seem it would just hit the plastic collar.... if hard enough, couldnt it crack... Am I missing something, how is this a fix... Also looking at the bulletin posted, is says only the 2021 Rubicon with the 26R package will be covered in the fix... how is that.. if everything's the same on the 2022 (except the collar?)... Why are some getting a lift installed for free instead of having the collars installed ? because if it turns out the Mopar lift is the fix, people like me shouldn't be penalized for purchasing it ourselves..IMO

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD

Maybe you can explain..(take away that I have the lift installed, I would be just like @22EcoDs , same springs and a "collared" bump stop on my JTRD.. How would a collar fix anything ? I can see it would stop the bottom plate from contacting the metal lip of the upper bump stop housing, but now it seem it would just hit the plastic collar.... if hard enough, couldnt it crack... Am I missing something, how is this a fix... Also looking at the bulletin posted, is says only the 2021 Rubicon with the 26R package will be covered in the fix... how is that.. if everything's the same on the 2022 (except the collar?)... Why are some getting a lift installed for free instead of having the collars installed ? because if it turns out the Mopar lift is the fix, people like me shouldn't be penalized for purchasing it ourselves..IMO
So many good questions... I was going to ask the collar question too. I could see if they put a Mojave style gas bump in there, but not a little plastic ring. Mine has been at the shop since Wednesday... no idea what they are doing this time... Since the first shop could not "replicate" the issue I took a local Service Tech on a drive and showed him the problem. But based on earlier posts I am losing confidence that this will get a real resolution. That collar looks like some Engineer googled "how do you stop a car from bottoming out" and then applied the same fix he found to a top of the line off road machine.

My money on @Rock Krawler Suspension and their 1.5" Diesel leveling springs... Hoping for more info!

Sponsored

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Great set of pics @SargeDiesel ! Really helps a lot.

A couple of notes:
1) It looks like the design of the new bumpstop collar is meant to flex outward and get pinned in-between the strike plate and lip of the spring retention tube collar at full compression. That might deaden the blow a bit so it's not metal on metal, but how long until that wears out?
2) @SargeDiesel measures 3 5/8" from strike plate to said tube collar lip... as compared to OP's and other 2021 owner measurements of 2 1/2" to 3" (ref: post #24 and on at this thread).

So how do they get 2022's to more than 3 1/2" of uptravel with the same springs as 2021's? Did they cut the tube length back? Stiffer shocks? (that should only affect dampening, not lift). Different spacing on the spring seats? ???

[Edited to answer my own brain fart: His pics and measurements are AFTER he installed the Mopar lift, so that would have given him more uptravel.]

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm hoping that they changed the spring rate and shock valving on the '22's. From reading all of this. The compression damping is on the soft side.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
LOL...
My wife has been threatening me to don one of those whiplash collars if I take her off road in my rig after we've hit bottom on surface streets.

fyi, if you read the fine print on the TSB, dealers need to have your vehicle inspected before they will install any forthcoming "fix". Maybe I should have her put that collar on and wear it to the dealer when I have my vehicle inspected. Maybe then they'd take this seriously.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
So many good questions... I was going to ask the collar question too. I could see if they put a Mojave style gas bump in there, but not a little plastic ring. Mine has been at the shop since Wednesday... no idea what they are doing this time... Since the first shop could not "replicate" the issue I took a local Service Tech on a drive and showed him the problem. But based on earlier posts I am losing confidence that this will get a real resolution. That collar looks like some Engineer googled "how do you stop a car from bottoming out" and then applied the same fix he found to a top of the line off road machine.

My money on @Rock Krawler Suspension and their 1.5" Diesel leveling springs... Hoping for more info!
Looks like the Mopar lift bottom bump plate is different than stock also, if I'm looking at 22EcoDs pictures right. On the Mopar lift, they look more cylinder shaped with a flat face , made out of metal. The OEM , looks more domed and made out of a type of rubber...

Last edited:

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security

A couple of notes:
1) It looks like the design of the new bumpstop collar is meant to flex outward and get pinned in-between the strike plate and lip of the spring retention tube collar at full compression. That might deaden the blow a bit so it's not metal on metal, but how long until that wears out?
2) @SargeDiesel measures 3 5/8" from strike plate to said tube collar lip... as compared to OP's and other 2021 owner measurements of 2 1/2" to 3" (ref: post #24 and on at this thread).

So how do they get 2022's to more than 3 1/2" of uptravel with the same springs as 2021's? Did they cut the tube length back? Stiffer shocks? (that should only affect dampening, not lift). Different spacing on the spring seats? ???
I really would like to understand that. I am curious about the tube length, was it cut back?

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military

A couple of notes:

So how do they get 2022's to more than 3 1/2" of uptravel with the same springs as 2021's? Did they cut the tube length back? Stiffer shocks? (that should only affect dampening, not lift). Different spacing on the spring seats?
Thanks.. good pics make a world of difference and sometime can explain thing better than words..... Glad they are helpful !

Last edited:

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ill try and squeeze my tape measure in there this afternoon.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
FYI I can confirm those are the same bump stop extensions I had in my Mopar 2" lift. I have since removed them in favor of the terraflex 1" extension. Which is about 5/8" shorter. I did this after measuring over and over, and found that on the 21 eco diesel because tubes up top are longer, and I am running only 35" tires, and the shocks are only 1" longer than stock, it didn't make sense to run 1 5/8" extensions but rather 1"

With that configuration and a hair longer jounce pads at top (trimmed metalcloak bump stops) with a 1/2" spacer above the spring and the metalcloak lower spring isolators. My uptravel before bump contact is 3 1/8"

But I am really curious if Jeep made a change to the tube length. If that's the case I understand why they would need to do lift kits for the 21's

Pic of the Metal Cloak Lower Coil Isolators installed.
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_2961

Terraflex .5" spacer installed above the spring.
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_2962

Pic of the Metal Cloak bumpstop jounce pad trimmed
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_2987

Pic of the shocks after I bottomed out both front wheels evenly over a speed hump in my neighborhood.

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_2989

Notice, even with the bump stop extensions / and trimmed metal cloak jounce pads I still have well over 1.25" of shock stroke left, so no chance I'll bottom those out.... (which is good)

Also you can see the terraflex bump stop extension 1" here.
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_2986

You will also see i intentionally bent the brake bracket up a bit, this makes sure at full articulation the brake lines are not being stretched in any way.

Based on the changes I see from Jeep (the jounce pad changes) I think I am happy with the corrective changes I have made.

FYI the metal cloak lower isolators made the biggest difference IMO. Because there is no spring bow any more the spring rate feels slightly higher reducing the bottom out condition.

Last edited:

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
Well since I am basically back to stock with my front bumper and winch removed, and the plastic bumper on... thought I would share a measurement picture for the peanut gallery. Yep that is 2 1/2.

Also the dealership gave me a similar line that the others have heard... I called JC again, and got the "We will have to research this" line again.

Measure.jpg

Last edited:

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My metal tube is just over 5&1/2 inches. I couldnt get a good pic of it. But I did get my bumper height and shock number. Again, this is a stock 22 S Looks like I have the same distance to stop as @OrangeCJ . Do my shocks differ from 21 S?
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads 1642198932701
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads 1642198954729
Sponsored