First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Im thinkin you would need at least the four tube model.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I am with you on this, What sensor was being read that indicated the system had a problem, and had to pull boost/power? If its not any of the temp indicators as previously thought, than what is it?
You should be monitoring EGT, IAT, Oil temp, boost and regen it helps to monitor coolant temp but those on mine seem pretty stable.

Oil temp above 240 = reduced boost I can hear the VGT pulling boost down. Then above 260 it will derate.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Our maybe that's the same thing? šŸ˜€
I did the muffler delete, and theres room in that area to install a cooler without problems. If you hit it up that high (just under the bed floor) then you will have a bunch of other things to worry about

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
That might work for power steering but no way it will work for oil cooler.
i think you guys are over thinking this. You are trying to average out temperatures and keep things from peaking. From my experience my oil temp is in an acceptable range 80% to 90% of the time and only peaks out when speeding up long hills or pulling heavy stuff and even then when you dial it back the temps level out within a few minutes.

Seems to peak quicker if in a regen cycle.

And this is driving in desert heat of 110.

If you guys are dumping that much heat into your oil that often that you need a completely redesigned cooling system to shed all the heat you are generating during normal operation, you have bigger things to worry about then just high oil temps, I can only image what your EGR temps would be and the other stress on systems pushed that hard.

another option by derale

https://derale.com/product-footer/f...ail2013-10-28-09-53-271988233111/13250-detail

14 oz capacity is half a quart, add 2 in series and you now have an extra quart of oil helping dump heat.

Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
You should be monitoring EGT, IAT, Oil temp, boost and regen it helps to monitor coolant temp but those on mine seem pretty stable.

Oil temp above 240 = reduced boost I can hear the VGT pulling boost down. Then above 260 it will derate.
Op said they were all normal though ?

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
i think you guys are over thinking this. You are trying to average out temperatures and keep things from peaking. From my experience my oil temp is in an acceptable range 80% to 90% of the time and only peaks out when speeding up long hills or pulling heavy stuff and even then when you dial it back the temps level out within a few minutes.

Seems to peak quicker if in a regen cycle.

And this is driving in desert heat of 110.

If you guys are dumping that much heat into your oil that often that you need a completely redesigned cooling system to shed all the heat you are generating during normal operation, you have bigger things to worry about then just high oil temps, I can only image what your EGR temps would be and the other stress on systems pushed that hard.

another option by derale

https://derale.com/product-footer/f...ail2013-10-28-09-53-271988233111/13250-detail

14 oz capacity is half a quart, add 2 in series and you now have an extra quart of oil helping dump heat.
I find it interesting that neither of the coolers you post links for have any BTU ratings?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Where are you all buying your line fittings from? Jegs? Summit?

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I saw that too, not many did on the derale site, even the more conventional ones. Wonder if it's a call and ask thing.

here is a PS setup aka 10oz one, that says it will drop temps 25 degrees.......

https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid-coolers/power-steering/20565-detail

But yeah, in general the specs seem to be all over the place with no hard tech data.
It always makes me wonder why they don't list it......Is it so bad that nobody would buy it?

I think that style of cooler works great for a small system like power steering where you can double the oil capacity and they are pretty bulletproof. I have my doubts about a cooling a 9qt oil system trying to shed 260hp engine, turbo, and egr heat.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, but i also get nervous about using a conventional style cooler mounted under the truck with the thin fins and rows ready to pack up with mud and road grim and get a hole in because i drove over some brush the wrong way.

At least the extrude tube one have some meat to them and no fine fins to clog.

End of the day no great solution, ideal if something could be mounted up front but there is no room and without calling a mfr or trying different combos yourself it's all just hearsay.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree, but i also get nervous about using a conventional style cooler mounted under the truck with the thin fins and rows ready to pack up with mud and road grim and get a hole in because i drove over some brush the wrong way.

At least the extrude tube one have some meat to them and no fine fins to clog.

End of the day no great solution, ideal if something could be mounted up front but there is no room and without calling a mfr or trying different combos yourself it's all just hearsay.
I'm with you on the vulnerability of the tube/fin coolers. Should I install one, I'll be putting a flap guard in front of it and also plan to hose it out just like I did on my peterbikt so dirt would never have a chance to build up.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Great thread with lots of info. Thanks to all.

I have also recently had a derating issue, however it is not specifically due to the typical items mentioned so far.

I have had a JLURD mostly stock and now a heavily modified JTRD. Between the 2 about 40K miles. Towed a 4K trailer with the JLURD. No towing with the JTRD. Never a derate Untilā€¦

The JTRD has recently derated twice. Both times after about 4 hours of drive/run time. Once in the National Forest going slow and once on the highway. Both times derate happened then engine light and messages pop up. Various messages related to all different systems. Temps for all systems within normal range. Oil 240 or below and so on. Iā€™ve seen oil many times higher when towing and pulling grades without derating.

So I started doing many test and inspections under the hood after driving to find whatā€™s getting hot. The conclusion I came too was the Power Steering pump directly under the fuse box and ECM was one of the hottest things under the hood. Some of the wire harnesses leaving the fuse boxes practically touch the PS pump.

To verify I relocated the wire harnesses as much as possible and added heat shield between the pump and wiring. The derate hasnā€™t happened since.

Other findings during testing and inspections were. Engine RPM was the biggest factor with engine temps, not ambient air temps. On a recent 9 hour highway drive ambient temps around 100 degrees a rain storm suddenly appeared for about 50 miles of the drive. This storm dropped ambient temps by about 25 degrees. This difference in temperature had little to no effect on engine temps. I was very closely monitoring engine temps at this time due to derating a few days before. If the RPMā€™s were steady at 1900 the oil temp stayed steady at 230 regardless of ambient air. My experience at this time was engine above 240 would cause derating.

My conclusion was engine temps above 240 coupled with the power steering pump in close contact with fuse box/ECM and the shoe horned ED under the hood plus my many mods all contributed to the derating.

Iā€™m hoping my problem is solved long term. However I do have an oil cooler in hand with an oil by pass kit on the way that I hope to install this weekend.

I donā€™t think Jeep could cool off the ED any more do to EPA rules. If the engine runs cooler, emissions go up. I do wish they would have controlled the temps more.

And I still love having the ED in my Jeep.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation