Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a sample of my hand calculated ESS numbers (from my JLU). Notice the signficant dip in MPG for several weeks when my ESS system quit working. As soon as the dealership finally got it fixed, MPG went right back up again. I'm a believer.

I understand crotchety old men who are reluctant to change. Hell, I'm one of them. But if the new tech actually DOES something beneficial, then I can learn to love it.

ESSworks.jpg
Not worth the saving!!!! Ridiculous BS that's mandated by all the granola tree huggers.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Not worth the saving!!!! Ridiculous BS that's mandated by all the granola tree huggers.
$20 per month in my pocket. That's money for my water bill, or a half tank of fuel, or lunch with the wife at Chili's. I'd say it's well worth it.

At these fuel prices, every 1 MPG you save is a big deal.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I saw a video today where a guy showed his Ford truck window sticker. There was a line item for a $50 option for "ESS removal". Very interesting.........

I wonder if that is real?

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
AFB8D8D5-A531-4771-9CFD-CC5DB35ADF92.jpeg

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I saw a video today where a guy showed his Ford truck window sticker. There was a line item for a $50 option for "ESS removal". Very interesting.........

I wonder if that is real?
I have seen some OEM’s discount for missing features such as ESS during the pandemic, but I’m not sure about paying an extra $50 for it not be there though.

Sponsored

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
I yanked the main and aux batteries and replaced with dual battery configuration so I don't get stuck with a dead battery. The backup battery has been used a couple of times now. Never stranded.
Did you opt to the Genesis system or swap to duals and run like Redarc SBI or something?

Is there another system that will let me disable the stupid feature that slams my Gladiator into park when I have it in reverse, then open the door? These "features" are ridiculous, and cost me money to get back to normal. Toyota interiors might be outdated, but don't have either issue :\

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Another zombie lives!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Did you opt to the Genesis system or swap to duals and run like Redarc SBI or something?

Is there another system that will let me disable the stupid feature that slams my Gladiator into park when I have it in reverse, then open the door? These "features" are ridiculous, and cost me money to get back to normal. Toyota interiors might be outdated, but don't have either issue :\
AutoPark is a safety feature that is mandated by Jeeps Legal Department. The ESS is a government mandate. There are ways to work around them, but they cannot be removed or disabled.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
First thing I do when I get in my vehicles with ESS is push the Anarchy button.

Srsly though, I find it annoying. I will engage it when I am at a long light or a train crossing and won’t be going anywhere for a while.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
I used the Hell Roaring dual battery isolator with the Genesis battery tray. All solid-state. And I removed the old battery cables that Genesis leaves taped off.

Sponsored

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
AutoPark is a safety feature that is mandated by Jeeps Legal Department. The ESS is a government mandate. There are ways to work around them, but they cannot be removed or disabled.
That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Jeep "feature" I guess. How are people working around it

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
ESS is OK for gasoline but not for diesel turbo. I noticed ESS stops the engine even after driving hard on a highway and coming to a stoplight after taking the exit. Turbo temps still show excess of 500F and engine still shuts off.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Don't like it. Annoying and I always have an "Oh Crap!" moment when it kicks, thinking something is wrong with my Jeep.

I hit the disable button first thing after starting.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
I would hate is less if it didn't seem to cause issues with the secondary battery and the battery was easy to access. I hardly ever use mine.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I’m on day 3 with ESS and I love it for some reason. I think it’s so interesting. But on my way home today I was pondering why it’s was called ESS when it’s called Automatic Start Stop....

Then I realized what that acronym would be lol
it only stops and starts the engine. Everything else stays on.
Sponsored