Sponsored

Factory trail camera install?

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Wow, more power to you for taking this project on but definitely something I will not be adding. It's a fun feature but not worth potential interior squeaks, creaks, rattles......
Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I may take this on, however, I don't know if I will follow the original wiring harness. An option may be run power and video wires separately. I will have to go back through the instruction in detail.

Also, will this have the lens cleaner? I honestly think that is what puts this option over the top. A camera in the front is bound to get dirty over and over.

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
Am update on how my project to install the trail camera is going. the trail camera is installed, but not operational as of today. this is because i need to have the sales coder for this to occur. this is being worked on. the parts for the washer side of this project will be here on tuesday. the problem is that i will not be able to install this until the middle of the month. except for the cost, it has been a easy project to complete.

OP
OP
mtpilatus

mtpilatus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the update. I think I am with Flexin on running a separate wire for power and video.

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
Am update on how my project to install the trail camera is going. the trail camera is installed, but not operational as of today. this is because i need to have the sales coder for this to occur. this is being worked on. the parts for the washer side of this project will be here on tuesday. the problem is that i will not be able to install this until the middle of the month. except for the cost, it has been a easy project to complete.
Bryan, I know the information is already here for the most part but when this project is complete do you think you could make a list of the inventory of parts that were required to do the full install. This might be a good "Sticky" for owners contemplating doing it in the future. By the way great job!
Also, did you ever determine whether one needs to buy another washer pump or utilize the one already present. Thanks again.
Dave

Sponsored

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dave
to answer your question, the washer pump is different. i believe it has two outlets. by reading the description on the washer system, it says it goes backwards and forwards. however, the one part that is still on back-order is the Reservoir. my hope is the non-trail cam pump and the trail cam pump is the same size. if it is then it should fit the one i have now. once this project is all complete and running, i will write up a complete document with pictures of all of the parts, and connectors. my thought is that maybe someone can figure out a better way to obtain the wiring such as the bus can wiring, video cable and the connectors other than buying a complete interior wiring harness.

Last edited:

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
Dave
to answer your question, the washer pump is different. i believe it has two outlets. by reading the description on the washer system, it says it goes backwards and forwards. however, the one part that is still on back-order is the Reservoir. my hope is the non-trail cam pump and the trail cam pump is the same size. if it is then it should fit the one i have now. once this project is all complete and running, i will write up a complete document with pictures of all of the parts, and connectors. my thought is that maybe someone can figure out a better way to obtain the wiring such as the bus can wiring, video cable and the connectors other than buying a complete interior wiring harness.
Thanks Bryan!
I think there are many people that are interested in the OEM trail camera install. In the end few may attempt but your information will be invaluable for those of us who do try. I appreciate and look forward to your reports. Hopefully, the dealership can/will get you the correct sales code for this option.
Dave

scuuuud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Abarth, 2017 WRX, 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
@bryanklay has taken this thread to an entirely new level. Thank you for your hard work and I look forward to see the end result And subsequent write up!

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i am sorry about not keeping everyone updated on this install. i have installed all of the washer hoses, the new pump wiring and the washer pump for the front washer. i am not sure why they have a separate washer bottle, but the pump fits perfectly in the washer bottle that i have and the pump has two outlets. i am now at the point of trying to activate the CVPM. the main piece to this is that i need a 3 position sales code. this code could have 2 letters and one number. i am working with the dealership to help me obtain the code. the reason i believe that you need this code is because the tech has to reconfigure the Body Control Module (BCM) to send signals to the CVPM and the radio. i also have another option that i am working on that should give the the sales code as well. i have been in contact with Zautomotive and am waiting very patiently to receive back an answer. however, this is going to take a while because i am finishing up with my students at the end of the school year. however, if there is someone that can obtain this faster that i can that would be great. over the month of June, i will do a complete write-up on this idea and include pictures.

a strange thing happened once i installed the wiring and that was the headlight with washer became available and i now have the trailer hitch zoom as well which is not supposed to be. this is because i have a manual transmission and the 8.4 radio. the statement on the jeep website states" not available on vehicles with both the manual transmission and the 8.4 inch Uconnect touchscreen without the forward facing trailcam" and i have not fully activated the trailcam yet. let me tell you that i have tried a few different ways.

OP
OP
mtpilatus

mtpilatus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
I wonder if the headlight washer will become the trail cam washer when fully activated.

Sponsored

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yes i believe it does.

pughboy2

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Installed the front trail camera from ZAutomative.

BF464948-6EB5-40CF-A5CE-AFB9E676A944.jpeg

CD8B4FFE-DB5C-46D2-BBF5-282345277810.jpeg

4AC610AD-1B82-4B88-9E38-2490DA6506FD.jpeg
This looks like the most affordable option. Anybody tried with the 7" U-connect setup? Web says you must have the 8.4 but my Tazer seems to have the ability to activate the cargo camera in my 7" unit?

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This looks like the most affordable option. Anybody tried with the 7" U-connect setup? Web says you must have the 8.4 but my Tazer seems to have the ability to activate the cargo camera in my 7" unit?
My understanding is that the 8.4 is the only one with the extra input you need to add the cargo cam. The Tazer may offer it as an option, but if there's no where to plug into the 7" radio then it won't work.

pughboy2

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Okay. I've not pulled the radio yet because i didn't want to take my dash apart (again) for no reason (LOL!). According to the install instructions, it appeared to be inserting pins into the factory plug. I would assume would be universal because you can upgrade from the 7 to the 8.4 but i could be wrong there too. I guess the real question is are there pins corresponding with those locations on the back of the 7 radio. I'll only know that if i pull the unit and see. I remember seeing somewhere that the trail camera was now an option on the 7 radio but, again, I'm possibly wrong on that too. As always, I appreciate the feedback.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Okay. I've not pulled the radio yet because i didn't want to take my dash apart (again) for no reason (LOL!). According to the install instructions, it appeared to be inserting pins into the factory plug. I would assume would be universal because you can upgrade from the 7 to the 8.4 but i could be wrong there too. I guess the real question is are there pins corresponding with those locations on the back of the 7 radio. I'll only know that if i pull the unit and see. I remember seeing somewhere that the trail camera was now an option on the 7 radio but, again, I'm possibly wrong on that too. As always, I appreciate the feedback.
We recommend having your dealer look into this for you. If you would like any additional assistance, please feel free to send us a private message and we'll be happy to help!

Alison
JeepCares
Sponsored