Sponsored

For those that have the bad steering box...let's talk.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I’m just going to do it myself. My last couple dealer stops have been less than confidence inspiring. Kinda sad when I hear trained mechanics tell me blatantly wrong information.
I would but the kit is like $650 from whichever dealer posted it on here. I'd rather just double check their work if they're willing to give the parts for free.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Do you know it's not? I let the dealer decide.
. . .
Dunno, but I figured why not?
As I read the TSB, it states:

The customer may describe one or more of the following:•Steering wander.•Vehicle has a lead/pull to the right or left.

If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.

So, my answer is, it is based on customer-described symptoms, which I, the customer, do not have.

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
I took mine in and acted dumb about the TSB. I told them it kind of wanders, pulls to the right slightly at highway speeds, and has what I would consider to be “excessive play” when hitting a bump. Their answer was to replace the steering stabilizer and “re-adjust” the steering gear. They told me that if it still gives me issues then I can bring it in and have it looked at for a TSB.

The problems are still there, they are pretty insignificant (probably because I’ve been driving Jeeps for 15 years) but it’d be nice if my $45k JT would track straight down the road.
It's a little bit of a drive for you, but I had a fantastic experience at Kearny Mesa CDJR, specifically, Service Advisor Bill (FYI, there is also Billy and Will there as well). I brought in a copy of the service bulletin and highlighted the symptoms I had. They verified the symptoms and ordered the parts. I had to take it in a few days later once the parts arrived. In my case, it made a HUGE difference - dead spot, pulling to the right, and wandering went away. Good luck!

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
I needed to go to a local dealership and while there, I asked the service tech about it. I told him how I had to continuously correct the path of the vehicle on the interstate. He said there was an issue, but they had to test drive it and parts were on back order. Told me to make an appointment and come back for them to test drive it. I thought they were supposed to replace it if I described the condition. I have had mine 2 1/2 weeks and doesn't have 900 miles on it.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mines drives great I got no issues or do I have to over correct. I can take my hands off the wheel at 70 and it will drive straight as a arrow. I'm at 15,000 miles on mine and unless it gets bad I'm not messing with it. I'm currently on 2.5" lifted and Rubicon take off suspension added to the front and the Rubicon fox shocks on 315 70 17 BFG KO2s. Also added the fox steering stabilizer up front. At is sits it's riding like and driving like a dream

Jeep Gladiator For those that have the bad steering box...let's talk. PXL_20201022_101128407.PORTRAIT~2

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
As I read the TSB, it states:

The customer may describe one or more of the following:•Steering wander.•Vehicle has a lead/pull to the right or left.

If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.

So, my answer is, it is based on customer-described symptoms, which I, the customer, do not have.
That's fine that yours is fine - just don't accept less than perfect steering because others have convinced it's a JEep thing or a solid axle thing. This truck should absolutely steer and handle like any other truck out there, including Silverado/Chevy/Colorado, Ford, any of them.
If it doesn't steer and handle like any other truck, full size or small, then it's not right.
These should handle perfectly. There's no "it's a Jeep thing" and no "it's how solid axles are" - both are BS.
Mine handles just like any truck I've owned, maybe better than my Ford, and just as well as my other cars or Grand Cherokee.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I went through them. Excellent customer service. My parts should be ordered by the end of the month.

I'm still waiting for parts. Been almost 4 weeks now. @JeepCares has been looking into this for me. I would definitely contact them about the dealer misinformation that you all have had.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Mines drives great I got no issues or do I have to over correct. I can take my hands off the wheel at 70 and it will drive straight as a arrow. I'm at 15,000 miles on mine and unless it gets bad I'm not messing with it.
My sentiments exactly.

MARSSIVPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Mines drives great I got no issues or do I have to over correct. I can take my hands off the wheel at 70 and it will drive straight as a arrow. I'm at 15,000 miles on mine and unless it gets bad I'm not messing with it.

This Exactly!

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
I just ordered a 2021 Mojave today. Are the 2021’s coming stock with the corrected steering?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a 2021 Mojave today. Are the 2021’s coming stock with the corrected steering?
Yes.
Anything after sometime on 8-14-2020, and all 2021s will have the new steering gear.

(that's been confirmed by JeepCares on this forum)

PS - thanks for keeping goods moving to stores - I see truck driver in the occupation.
If it's in a store - it got there by truck.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Thank you. I’m thankful to have a job. Also thank you for the answer to my question. Can’t wait to get this thing.

wpscheel

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
So in March my family went to Maui and I rented a JL and I did most of the driving. Being a longtime Jeep owner I thought it handled great however my sister and her husband both took it for a spin and both said they would never own one as they cannot keep it in their lane. Wasn't a problem in the least for me. In fact we used it to drive the full loop Road to Hana which consists of over 600 hairpin turns, numerous single lane bridges and mostly cliff edge driving. I was never concerned but they sure were. So much that they almost didn't ride along.
Now I have a '20 Mojave and feel like it handles great. Better than any Jeep I've ever owned and like some others here, prefer to not have anyone wrenching on my Jeep if at all possible. My question now is, since I do have the "bad" gearbox but it seems fine to me right now, has anyone experienced this and then had the steering degrade over time to the point that they wanted to get it swapped out or if its good for me now, will it maybe stay in this condition and not warrant the swap?

OP
OP
Stonesolo

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
So in March my family went to Maui and I rented a JL and I did most of the driving. Being a longtime Jeep owner I thought it handled great however my sister and her husband both took it for a spin and both said they would never own one as they cannot keep it in their lane. Wasn't a problem in the least for me. In fact we used it to drive the full loop Road to Hana which consists of over 600 hairpin turns, numerous single lane bridges and mostly cliff edge driving. I was never concerned but they sure were. So much that they almost didn't ride along.
Now I have a '20 Mojave and feel like it handles great. Better than any Jeep I've ever owned and like some others here, prefer to not have anyone wrenching on my Jeep if at all possible. My question now is, since I do have the "bad" gearbox but it seems fine to me right now, has anyone experienced this and then had the steering degrade over time to the point that they wanted to get it swapped out or if its good for me now, will it maybe stay in this condition and not warrant the swap?
Good question....

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
It's a little bit of a drive for you, but I had a fantastic experience at Kearny Mesa CDJR, specifically, Service Advisor Bill (FYI, there is also Billy and Will there as well). I brought in a copy of the service bulletin and highlighted the symptoms I had. They verified the symptoms and ordered the parts. I had to take it in a few days later once the parts arrived. In my case, it made a HUGE difference - dead spot, pulling to the right, and wandering went away. Good luck!
That may be worth a shot, and only double the amount of driving I have to do. Thanks for the heads up!
Sponsored