Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Could care less about electric or 392 cause I couldn't afford either of them. Fine with the 3.6 unless they can come out with a decently priced Hemi option as discussed before on threads

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Honestly it doesn't sound that good. Torque, sure sounds awesome, but that turbo 4 cylinder is gonna suck hauling around the motors and batteries after they are drained. Small trips, cool. The tow rating is probably going to be awful. I dunno. Turbo 6, v8, diesel are the only ways to go imo, unless I'm completely missing something.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I hope they dial it up many notches over the wrangler 4xE (relatively speaking). That Kia EV6 (family crossover) is pulling 3.4 to 60 and can charge to 80% in 18 minutes. I thought I'd have another decade of watching people anxiously waiting for their EVs to charge. Apples and oranges but progress is happening at break-neck speeds across all segments. The long available Ford PowerBoost F150 combines their stout TT 3.5 with supplemental electric, that truck absolutely rips.

If in 2.5 years they simply release a gladiator 4xE with a slightly up-fitted Wrangler 4xE platform to compensate for weight, load etc. it will be the laugh of the EV/Hybrid midsize truck segment. I hope they just go full EV to compete with the upcoming lightning and inevitable ranger EV let alone Rivian. They have a ton of ground to cover but if they nail it, it will be the coolest EV truck out there for sure.

Jeep is in a unique situation to carry their heritage and design language into a full EV offering and actually get away with it because we'd expect and desire exactly that. No need for a jetson's interior. Give us a rugged screen, a bunch of tactile knobs and enough juice to send us down the quarter in mid to low 11s. I hope they don't drop the ball on that opportunity. Given there is so little they have to re-imagine outside of the powertrain, it is concerning that they are so dang far behind.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I hope they dial it up many notches over the wrangler 4xE (relatively speaking). That Kia EV6 (family crossover) is pulling 3.4 to 60 and can charge to 80% in 18 minutes. I thought I'd have another decade of watching people anxiously waiting for their EVs to charge. Apples and oranges but progress is happening at break-neck speeds across all segments. The long available Ford PowerBoost F150 combines their stout TT 3.5 with supplemental electric, that truck absolutely rips.

If in 2.5 years they simply release a gladiator 4xE with a slightly up-fitted Wrangler 4xE platform to compensate for weight, load etc. it will be the laugh of the EV/Hybrid midsize truck segment. I hope they just go full EV to compete with the upcoming lightning and inevitable ranger EV let alone Rivian. They have a ton of ground to cover but if they nail it, it will be the coolest EV truck out there for sure.

Jeep is in a unique situation to carry their heritage and design language into a full EV offering and actually get away with it because we'd expect and desire exactly that. No need for a jetson's interior. Give us a rugged screen, a bunch of tactile knobs and enough juice to send us down the quarter in mid to low 11s. I hope they don't drop the ball on that opportunity. Given there is so little they have to re-imagine outside of the powertrain, it is concerning that they are so dang far behind.
I think in another 2-5 years they will have made some significant jumps. But It will be curious to see.

ilmostro

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
As much as I want a 4xE JT, I'm ok with this. I've almost got mine the way I want it and will be happy to wheel it for a few years before starting all over again.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Jeep has said ALL models will have some sort of electrification by 2025.
There will have to be some sort of major mods for the JT to go full EV as mentioned already. So more likely 4xe. Which if anything like the current version in the JLU, pass. Horrible transition from EV to ICE, very coarse. As for an all in full EV, unless battery packs get a helluva lot lighter, another pass from me.
The EV tech is changing and evolving quickly, so time will tell.

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
I’m all in for full EV. I agree with staying_tuned, Jeep is definitely in a unique position to create a loyal following in the EV truck space. They would have to maintain the Jeep ”feel” and character. They seem to be able to capture that pretty well, staying true to their roots. Half of what they sell is a capable vehicle, the other half they sell is the community and the idea of Jeep. An EV truck with all that can’t miss, but two years doesn’t seem very long. I’d like to see something really unique before I lay down another 60K.

sfurash

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
Occupation
CPA
I think the Wrangler 4xe was a disappointment, 21 miles give or take on full electric, then poor mileage when you run in gas mode due to small engine heavy weight
In this day an age jeep could have done better.
No way would the current system work efficiently in the gladiator.
Now as to a hemi, I hope jeep puts the 5.7 in the Gladiator as that would be perfect and could be done for a reasonable upcharge especially if they let you spec the truck your way with only what you want, unlike how they do it in the Wrangler.
Even if they limit it to the Rubicon and Mojave I'd be ok.
If the hemi was a 10k engine option it would work for me

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
If the hemi was a 10k engine option it would work for me
Don't do this. Powerstrokes and Cummins and Duramaxs are 10k upgrades. 10k for a 5.7 gas over a 3.6? If you're flush with cash on account of your grandpa's murder just pay for the swap.

As for the 4xe... there is no way in hell i'm sacrificing my manual transmission for anything short of full electric. plug-in hybrids are not cool (few exceptions), they are tiny batteries with tons of weight sold to raise a manufacturers CAFE averages. Short commute to work with a plug at the office and mostly round town driving on weekends? You'll save tons on gas. Road trips and medium/long commutes with no office plug? worse than the standard 3.6 on gas and upfront costs is a LOT more.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
not interested. I need my Jeep to be mechanically simple and easy to repair and swap parts. I don’t mind the other car to be fully electric but leave my Jeep alone.

how would you do full electric with a solid axle ? just look at the rivian which is cool but it won’t crawl properly every

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I'd rather wait for a full electric - perhaps momentum from Ford will push Stellantis a bit....
Agree completely. Go EV or go home. I like my Pentastar. And it's really cool to have a diesel option. Hybrid? Meh...

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Anyone actually have a 4xe? We do, it is amazing at everything but road trips and high speed highway cruising mpgs and I am all In on a gladiator 4xe since it's basically an electric supercharger on the engine.

It reserves batteries so it's always quick, it never actually goes to 0 it basically keeps 10% in reserve to always get you off the line quicker and help accelerate etc. The torque is a monster and unless you constantly are looking for the time it kicks from pure ev to hybrid it's basically unnoticeable. It's really only noticeable when you are trying to floor it while accelerating from partial throttle instead of accelerating smoothly.

The other nice thing about the 4xe is that it can work with basically any engine that uses the 850 transmission. The electric motor takes the place of the torque converter so it's really more of a packaging problem and not a drastically different design between a 2.0 and a 3.6. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3.6 version of the 4xe or hopefully a better turbo'd engine option with a 4xe add on.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Gosh, I figured there'd be more excitement about getting 15 miles of range on EV mode at $0.13/mile after you've been plugged into a wall all night long and then falling back on a tiny 4-banger turbo at $0.14/mile after that. Especially when you get to pay $8k more money up front and then you get an opportunity for a five-figure battery replacement when powertrain warranty is gone. Are you guys asleep? You need to call Jeep and demand this now!

Inconvenience and expense doesn't have to be the wave of the future. We can get it now if our voices are loud enough!
Sponsored