First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
I'll buy a hybrid if they give me one with a manual transmission, like Honda used to with the CR-Z and Insight. Of course, they won't, so no hybrid for me.
Full electrics only have one ratio, so manual/auto wouldn't matter there. I'm gonna be buying sticks until I have to buy full electric. I have nothing against full electric vehicles though, so when they price me a full electric Gladiator with the range I need, I'll be ok with it. I'm just not buying an ICE vehicle with an automatic.

I wonder what the hybrid is going to do to the payload though? Those batteries are heavy. It probably won't hurt towing capacity, and might even help it, but it's gotta have an effect on payload. They'll have to do some re-engineering, that's for sure.
I totally feel you on the Stick. I was very specific in wanting one. And I plan on keeping A glad for some time. But I want to go the forced induction route to add some power. So I am debating this big expense on the Jeep, and also make it more "high-strung" in maintenance and costs. While I have friend with the e-force kits on various rides with awesome results, there is an allure of getting that power boost, as well as silent and almost "free" electric jeepin miles. Especially as it won't be a big expense vs what I got with an added supercharger.

I absolutely love my 6MT but wondering in 5 years+ what's the cost of fuel and such gonna be that has me keen to have gotten the hybrid in the first place. While a boosted glad absolutely tickles me, the responsible side doesn't want to ignite a burn barrel of money for a daily that is super spendy to operate. Especially when the alt is every bit as capable as I need it to be, but easier to live with for the long haul.

🤔
Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
4xe only comes in 4 door trims (Sahara, high altitude, rubi), so window switches mean nothing. But the 2 other giveaways, seatbelt/rollbar and (more importantly) cargo light button I side headlight knob, give it away! I'm excited, tho it's already been affirmed by jeep that it will come to fruition. The caveat is, when? I've read 2 time frames: end of this yr as 2022, or mid/end 2022 as 2023.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I totally feel you on the Stick. I was very specific in wanting one. And I plan on keeping A glad for some time. But I want to go the forced induction route to add some power. So I am debating this big expense on the Jeep, and also make it more "high-strung" in maintenance and costs. While I have friend with the e-force kits on various rides with awesome results, there is an allure of getting that power boost, as well as silent and almost "free" electric jeepin miles. Especially as it won't be a big expense vs what I got with an added supercharger.

I absolutely love my 6MT but wondering in 5 years+ what's the cost of fuel and such gonna be that has me keen to have gotten the hybrid in the first place. While a boosted glad absolutely tickles me, the responsible side doesn't want to ignite a burn barrel of money for a daily that is super spendy to operate. Especially when the alt is every bit as capable as I need it to be, but easier to live with for the long haul.

🤔
Yes. My wife is in the market for a Wrangler, and only wants a manual transmission. But she tested a 4xe and really liked it. But it's only on Rubicons and Saharas so far, and the hybrid package adds a mighty hefty premium too, so it's more than she wants to spend on one. I think hybrid is the only way she'll go for an automatic. She just wants a basic Willys Sport. No frills other than AC.

Last edited:

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes. My wife is in the market for a Wrangler, and only wants a manual transmission. But she tested a 4xe and really liked it. But it's only on Rubicons and Saharas so, and the hybrid package adds a might hefty premium too, so it's more than she wants to spend on one. I think hybrid is the only way she'll go for an automatic. She just wants a basic Willys Sport.
Your wife sounds like a cool lady!

And that’s a pretty sensible deal. As if your looking for a few-frills row-your-own, the price premium to go auto, add the extras with the 4xe and all that, probably not gonna make sense. As that price upgrade is a lot of fuel for a great many years and a lot of “stuff” that wasn’t on the want list anyway.
If you’re looking at a loaded up auto, or possibly diesel, theres a neat play to go 4xe.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Has it been determined (or guessed) that the Gladiator version of the 4XE would use the 3.6 as a base? I mean, it has to, right?

Sponsored

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Has it been determined (or guessed) that the Gladiator version of the 4XE would use the 3.6 as a base? I mean, it has to, right?
I so hope so. I’m less enthused about a turbo 4 in the gladiator, vs some decent v6 torque backed by electric.

I won’t immediately dismiss it, but may not rush as quickly.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Jeep implied that there were cooling issues with the 2.0 while towing.

While the electric motor would help, for extended trips towing under load, the ICE would likely bear the brunt of the workload.

The Pacifica hybrid uses the pentastar, so I think it would probably be fairly simple to adapt the 4xe to the 6 cylinder.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I so hope so. I’m less enthused about a turbo 4 in the gladiator, vs some decent v6 torque backed by electric.

I won’t immediately dismiss it, but may not rush as quickly.

If the JT gets a V6 hybrid, all the Wranglers guys be like

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Rubicon 4xe Hybrid Teased! 1623369072988

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The big deal is the wrangler 4xe is 375 hp and 480 ftlbs. We have one and it is ALL there and soooo smooth in its operation. I have spent close to 10 months tuning my supercharged Gladiator and it still has some things I am not happy with in the calibration. If I could get factory power and all I have to do is plug it in at night, count me in.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I'm curious why the JT doesn't get eTorque, unlike Most JL V6s and all V6 DT Rams. I know it isn't a game changer, but the huge electrical potential would be nice.

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Been lurking for a year since I got my JT. Finally made an account to post this.

facebook_1623348187458_6808815796048471286.jpg

Jeep made this their Facebook cover photo earlier today, and I think they're teasing the Gladiator 4xe with it. Look at the dash: the gauges, blue stitching, and passenger dash grab handle all confirm it's a 4xe. But here's the kicker: look at the driver-side door mirror. That roll bar is a Gladiator, not a Wrangler.

While I won't go as far as to say this is Jeep debuting it, it certainly seems to me like they're teasing it.
How in the world did you spot this? I get the rollbar and switches (obviously after staring at it forever), but the seat belt mounts for me are even tougher to spot.

Did you get a heads-up from an insider or are you an insider at Jeep? Otherwise you missed your calling as one of the following: Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple, Murdock, Hercule Poirot, Monk, Psychic Shawn, etc. I'd pick Psych Shawn, myself.

How long did Jeep futz with the side mirror to get that shot or did they just photoshop it? Does this mock-up exist or is the whole thing photo shopped? ;)

If this has decent electric range for the price, I am interested and excited. Ford, Hummer, and Jeep throwing down the gauntlet is great for everyone. We'll see how the others do.

edit: This is the best part, too....==> wrangler 4xe is 375 hp and 480 ftlbs.

Last edited:

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The big deal is the wrangler 4xe is 375 hp and 480 ftlbs. We have one and it is ALL there and soooo smooth in its operation. I have spent close to 10 months tuning my supercharged Gladiator and it still has some things I am not happy with in the calibration. If I could get factory power and all I have to do is plug it in at night, count me in.
Really?! I’ve followed your supercharger support and build and tuning, its all very impressive.
I’m glad I’m not the only crazy one thinking electric over supercharger. Especially when most all the parts I have on are bolt ons, a day of bolting on a supercharger vs a day of swapping off parts and not voiding my warranty and getting similar power is very tempting.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Really?! I’ve followed your supercharger support and build and tuning, its all very impressive.
I’m glad I’m not the only crazy one thinking electric over supercharger. Especially when most all the parts I have on are bolt ons, a day of bolting on a supercharger vs a day of swapping off parts and not voiding my warranty and getting similar power is very tempting.
Dont get me wrong, I very much like my Gladiator as is. The problem with being a professional embedded systems engineer is you are more sensitive to every niggle and unintended function. I knew early on that of I opened this box it would probably never shut, and stated such on this forum. After teying to be your average consumer,I could not take it anymore it was just to far out of bounds. I drive my wife's 4xe and they must of put their A-team on ot because both powertrain option merge seemlessly and the power is apparent and impressive. The NVH for a jeep is downright rediculous. I can round a corner in 4th and give it plenty of throttle and there is no clunky downshift or power surge/limit that happens, just smooth quiet acceleration, and boom 70 mph is on the screen. I even joked with my wife after the first week we owned it I need to find a wrecked one and make my own Gladiator 4xe. She gave me the don't even go there look.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
This is definitely encouraging news. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later, so I can take advantage of used car prices right now. My buddy just ordered a JL 4Xe Sahara with almost all the bells and whistles. He’s doing a lease for an effective price of $395/mo. Jeep is using the $7500 EV tax credit as a dealer incentive. He sold his current JL to another dealer for $10k more than he owed on it. Hopefully Jeep does the same thing with the tax credit for JT 4Xe. That would be way too hard to pass on.
Sponsored