Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Lol. I'll show them! I will spend $100k on a Tesla to shift $7,500 of my taxes onto everyone else. :giggle: That'll teach 'em good.
It's interesting that you lay the blame on the individual paying less to the government, who borrows to make up the difference, rather than the government that chooses to spend so much money irrespective of the taxes collected.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
It's interesting that you lay the blame on the individual paying less to the government, who borrows to make up the difference, rather than the government that chooses to spend so much money irrespective of the taxes collected.
It's the liberal way; government is good, people are bad. That's why we have to have government tell us what to do, and take/spend our money for us. Left on our own, we'd do stupid crap like...buy Jeeps and mods and crap.

I'm gonna go take a ride down to 4WP in my $45k unsubsidized Tesla to pick up some parts, and think about how government could have saved me from making such foolish purchases.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Companies build in the $7500 into the MSRP. The risk is on the buyer to qualify for the incentive. The bill is always footed by the buyer. Dealers can actually help determine if a buyer will qualify. If not, the dealer will then try to get you to lease it... they will get the incentive. If the buyer is smart they will get the vehicle discounted and then calculate a lower lease payment. And what is the first rule of business lobbying? The risk is on the buyer.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
It's the liberal way; government is good, people are bad. That's why we have to have government tell us what to do, and take/spend our money for us. Left on our own, we'd do stupid crap like...buy Jeeps and mods and crap.
What I find interesting is the underlying beliefs it tends to betray. The argument that paying less taxes means that it comes at the expense of another, rests upon the assumption that govt has a prior claim to all income.

The other place I've seen such an argument, oddly, is from some libertarians. Joyride's argument actually falls more in line with them. They see anything that increases the deficit today as a future liability on taxpayers. Which is true, but the situation only exists because of the spending.

By the same logic, an annual tax refund is also at the expense of the taxpayer (and not just those who get more than they paid). After all, refunds almost always arise from arbitrary deductions and tax credits. (To be fair, some people DO argue to eliminate all deductons/credits and a lower tax rate, although this would change nothing with respect to spending.)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The other place I've seen such an argument, oddly, is from some libertarians. Joyride's argument actually falls more in line with them. They see anything that increases the deficit today as a future liability on taxpayers. Which is true, but the situation only exists because of the spending.
As a rabid lunatic libertarian, I deny that association. So rabid that I voted libertarians for presidents for the past few decades.

By the same logic, an annual tax refund is also at the expense of the taxpayer
My company gets a big R&D credit and a few other deductions. I suppose I'm stealing food from hungry kids by investing in new technology and services for our customers.

I absolutely love your point on this, and will steal your words to use again:
"...rests upon the assumption that govt has a prior claim to all income."

Yup.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
As a rabid lunatic libertarian, I deny that association. So rabid that I voted libertarians for presidents for the past few decades.
Rothbardian here. :like:

Funnily enough, the place I've most often see that view from libertarians is over at EP Autos. Odd to say the least.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Well this thread was an interesting read.

I'll take a Mojave Glad 4Xe in Gecko Green

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
It's not about blaming the individual, it's definitely a dumb government plan, but there's a lot of individuals around here who have no idea that it's being funded by the rest of the country, who seem to think it's just their own money. It's not.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
It's not about blaming the individual, it's definitely a dumb government plan, but there's a lot of individuals around here who have no idea that it's being funded by the rest of the country, who seem to think it's just their own money. It's not.
Do you reject tax refunds as well on principle?

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Do you reject tax refunds as well on principle?
I haven't ever claimed a tax credit for any item bought, such as energy efficient fridge or what have you, if that's your question. All that tax credits do is inflate the prices of the goods they're trying to help people buy.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I haven't ever claimed a tax credit for any item bought, such as energy efficient fridge or what have you, if that's your question.
While the tax credit is certainly relevant to the discussion of a 4xe Gladiator, the nature of the credit isn't, so I'm heeding the request to refrain from politics.

I would be happy to discuss elsewhere, although it seems that there is not an appropriate forum offered here or on the sister site.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
While the tax credit is certainly relevant to the discussion of a 4xe Gladiator, the nature of the credit isn't, so I'm heeding the request to refrain from politics.

I would be happy to discuss elsewhere, although it seems that there is not an appropriate forum offered here or on the sister site.
The only part of the discussion I actually cared to have here is the part where people believed it's "their own money coming back" which it absolutely is not. :beer:
Sponsored