Gorilla Glass

Dkronke

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I wish I didn't have it...I'm still not sure why it would need to be calibrated. What is the difference between folding the windshield or replacing it?
I just had my windshield replaced yesterday. I have the camera on mine, but was able to use the cheaper 3rd party glass since I never use it and keep the forward collision warning turned off. I cut the handle off of the plastic cover for the camera and used that to cover up the camera before the glass went on. Looks decent from the front, and gave me a place to put my toll tag.

IMG_1405.jpg
Sponsored

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
Welcome to the world of exploiting insurance the way they exploit you. I picked up on things like this about a decade ago first with tires. I drove into NYC every day and had a smart car and I purchased wheel and tire insurance because, well, if you drive in NYC and you don't like tire payments that exceed your car, well, it makes sense. First time I bought it on a Smart Lease, $200 for the life of the lease, second time $400 for the life of the lease (still way more than paid for itself), third time, no longer offered. Sales guy said it was entirely unprofitable.

These people are doing math on a huge level and can easily overlook things like problem areas on specific vehicles or regional challenges (like NYC road debris+snow, etc.). Some insurance companies are going to be smart enough to be like, "Damn we've replaced a lot of windshields, we need to create an exception for the Jeep make" and others are too small/bad to notice and they're still making money on the entire big picture of windshield repairs.

I very much shop insurance for how it impacts my specific vehicle and I think I just found a top thing to consider on the Gladiator when I finally take the plunge.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I just had my windshield replaced yesterday. I have the camera on mine, but was able to use the cheaper 3rd party glass since I never use it and keep the forward collision warning turned off. I cut the handle off of the plastic cover for the camera and used that to cover up the camera before the glass went on. Looks decent from the front, and gave me a place to put my toll tag.

Jeep Gladiator Gorilla Glass IMG_1405
That's a pretty interesting way to handle the calibration issue. While I could live without the Forward collision, I'm not sure I want to give up adaptive cruise control. I don't use ACC often, but in certain circumstances it can be a handy feature (Although I've survived for many decades without). I'm thinking I'll get the glass replaced without performing the calibration procedure. If it still works properly after the glass install, then all is well. If it doesn't, I may disable and cover the sensor as you have done.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I've gotta say... That seems like an option box to leave unchecked... The benefits don't seem to outweigh the annoyance alone, but the annual windshield cost is a long term and significant increase in cost of ownership.

Dkronke

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I've gotta say... That seems like an option box to leave unchecked... The benefits don't seem to outweigh the annoyance alone, but the annual windshield cost is a long term and significant increase in cost of ownership.
True, and I might have changed my mind if I knew how much more expensive the windshields were before I bought it. But, I do like the blind spot monitoring and cross path detection. I've just never used cruise control in the year I've had it, and turned off the forward collision monitoring/warning in the first month because the beeping annoyed me.

Sponsored

Cromation

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner, 2011 F-150
Occupation
Cyber
Whelp, I've had my JT for a total of 3 days and got a solid 6" crack on the passenger side of the vehicle and a dime sized chip on the driver side that luckily has not produced a crack yet

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Since the FCW ACC is in the box and not attached to the windshield what is there to calibrate? You don't have to re-calibrate every time you raise or lower the windshield. Anyway I never had cracks in my CJs or JKU. They were too slow to keep up with anybody!

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Still happy?
Yeah, it’s actually taken some fairly good rock hits and no crack yet. Don’t want to jinks myself though. As with any film, it will get divots and scratches, but easier/cheaper to replace it than the glass.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
I thought people would like to see this.

May have to look into this. Got a rock top right on my windshield yesterday, and we watched as the chip turned into a 2 foot crack across the thing. To say the least, I'm not impressed.

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Dang, I must have a miracle factory windshield...I've had my JTR a little over 1.5 years and zero cracks. I have been working from home since I got the JT due to the COVID hysteria, but we have still taken quite a few trips to Utah and drive all over the mountains here on trips all the time. I'm interested to see how long I can go!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I went less than a year. The tiniest little chip that had to be pointed out was deemed to be the source. It was up high about 2" from the top, centered in the driver area.
Glass replaced with OEM/factory - and when I clean it now I keep going over it again thinking I have missed bugs or spots or something and no, it's many dozens of tiny little chips you can actually feel with your fingernail or a toothpick.
I am waiting for one of them to expand. I should number them and start a pool - which one turns evil and tries to spread into other chips' territory first.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I went less than a year. The tiniest little chip that had to be pointed out was deemed to be the source. It was up high about 2" from the top, centered in the driver area.
Glass replaced with OEM/factory - and when I clean it now I keep going over it again thinking I have missed bugs or spots or something and no, it's many dozens of tiny little chips you can actually feel with your fingernail or a toothpick.
I am waiting for one of them to expand. I should number them and start a pool - which one turns evil and tries to spread into other chips' territory first.
Yeah, I have plenty of little chips and pock marks and stuff. I had safelite come out for a couple of them, and they told me that these are not likely to turn in to anything and that there isn't much they can do with the ones that I have...now I just don't even bother to call them and no actual cracks yet. :fingerscrossed:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I don't know how my new windshield survived the rock hit it took about a week ago.... Probably only due to it hitting the passenger side not the driver's side. Not a O.E.M. glass replacement but still has the Jeep Easter egg in corner. The rock was about the size of a baseball I seen it coming bouncing between two trucks missing both of them straight into mine then across the top.
What really needs to be made is a ballistic glass windshield. Having had a 7.62 AK rounds impact your windshield and stopped can and will get your blood pumping. The DoD needs are slowing down now quite a bit after the pull out of A-Stan and Iraq.

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
I remember having one crack in my old tj windshield. I was hoping by living in South Carolina and the pretty decent roads we have around here I could go a year or two without having a windshield replaced. Alas, I took a little tiny rock to the passenger side on Tuesday and have a nice chip and 10” crack. Thankfully this state has a no deductible windshield replacement law and I’m getting my windshield replaced by my insurance for no deductible and shouldn’t be any rate increase. I called safelite after getting my appointment setup and was able to change the glass to the gorilla glass. Here’s to crossing my fingers and hoping they can actually get it. I’ll update if it happens.
Sponsored