Sponsored

If I had to start over... what I would buy again, what I would pass...

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I almost got slammed into yesterday on the drive home by someone swerving to avoid a street sweeper. With a HUGE sigh of relief, I avoided issue. But, it got me thinking, what I would do if I had to start all over again. I've bought a ton of stuff for my gladiator, which I use to camp, commute, rockcrawl, you name it. I'm also interested to hear what you would all buy again, and also pass. So, here we go:

What I would buy again:
Rock Hard Sliders
Rusty's shock and LCA skids
JKS lift 3.5"
Badlands winch
Mopar grab handles
Amazon console tray
Amazon sticky cubbies that hang from the shift area
BlackArmor Bedmat
Buggy Whips Light Whip
37" Baja Boss AT
stubby antenna
LED headlight complete
Oracle Taillight
Hitch Skid
Rigid Side Shooter pod for A pillar
Seatjacker (begrudgingly for its price)

What I would pass:
Lux Rock lights
Front bumper (Pritchett Canyon from barnes4wd)
Rear bumper (Magnum something, can't even remember where I got it)
4.88 gears (5.13 or bust)
37" Milestar Patagonias
KC Cyclones
Quadratec 4" Aux lights
LED bulb
Bulletpoint cell phone mount

If I really, really had to start over.... I might just pass the lift altogether and slap a 74weld portal axle kit on a Mohave and call it a day-- not only because it's cool and the "new thing", but to save the time of regearing and lifting. With kids, I just don't have time to build another vehicle.

3.jpg

unnamed.jpg
Sponsored

Animal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
CMMS Administrator
Can I ask why you wouldn't forgo the prichet canyon bumper from Barnes second time around?

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
Cool idea for a thread, thanks for sharing your hits and misses.

If I had to start over, I would have put on some of the exterior protection right away instead of waiting. I had a broken windshield almost right away and wish I had put on my grab gard windshield film kit right off the lot. Also, I put on PPF after a few months of driving, and so the paint already had some pits and scratches in it. That made it more expensive to get all that buffed out. Also ceramic coating would go on right away, it makes it so much easier to get the mud and dust off after going offroad.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
For the cell phone mount, it’s good and I love their customer service. But I just don’t use it with CarPlay. Phone is usually in my pocket.
I would pass on my bumper because If simply want something different. I’m not pleased with the way I painted it, it looks not so nice now. It’s perfectly fine otherwise.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd do exactly what I've done except I'd likely get the aluminum version of the front bumper instead of the ungodly heavy steel bumper. I might get snazzberry if it was available, though, I tried last time and missed it by a couple of days.
Otherwise, equipment, I'm not an extremist and there are no rocks or canyons requiring special equipment so I have no reason to get any of those things other than for show.
When I traded, I bought the same truck with added options and put most of what I had on the 2020 onto this truck. I might opt for the next step up in front springs would be the only real change. Very very happy with this truck. No regrets.
So I guess -
Aluminum bumper
2" Synergy springs instead of the 1" version
I'm thinking about a different phone mount now that I have a snow plow - to put the controller closer to me, and have one more robust than what I have.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Might have just gone for the AT Habitat, instead of going with a rack and rtt. And now alucab canopy and rtt combo. Then again, I might go with a power wagon and the AT Habitat. But if I did, I might have wished I had gone with a Gladiator instead. One thing's for sure, the Gladiator is the best looking pickup truck out there (with lift and 37s) IMO.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm…food for thought. I’d go buy a CJ or TJ beater and build it up.
My wife's aunt still drives the 80s Jeep her husband had. It's got some rust issues, but I'm keeping my eye on that or another, a square headlight version, sitting in a driveway south of me for the last more than 2 years. I might get stupid and go ask if they want it hauled out of their driveway.
Or, tell my wife's aunt to please remember me in her will LOL

I've got a 401 sitting here with nothing to put it in, so who knows.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I'm gonna be boring and say that I would do the same things lol. Only because that's exactly what I did already, except I went from a mopar lift and 37's to a teraflex lift and 40's. Everything else was identical

Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
I like everything about my Overland but if I did bag it, I would avoid Black even though I like it and I'd probably pony up for the diesel. I am happy with my mods.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Hmm…food for thought. I’d go buy a CJ or TJ beater and build it up.
There's a house up the road that has a classic Gladiator and 2 Jeep Forward Controls in their field that brings out the 🤤 and thoughts of the next project.

Hindsight I wouldn't change anything yet on the JTR, but have only had it 10K. If Gator came back, that would be awesome, but I do love the Sarge I have.

shredX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Diesel vs gas would be my only change. I'm currently on 37" MT's. I'm feeling like I'll go back to AT's when these are done. But... when I'm on AT's and I'm in the slop or in the rocks I wish I'm on MT's. If it was practical (and affordable) to have 2 sets I would. LOL