Sponsored

Is the diesel gladiator worth it?

maxds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Camping here in the foothills of TN with my max tow gas Gladiator. We ended up nearby another Gladiator (diesel). We actually both came down from way North same route. We compared war stories. He was towing a 5000+ trailer and said it was doing good in these hilly parts. He was getting around 16 mpg. My gasser was getting about 12 or less on the mpg chart. We didn’t talk overheating but he seemed very pleased with how it performed so far. Plus his diesel didn’t have the max tow, which isn’t an option on diesel it seems.

My gas max tow never heated up even on some steep long climbs though the foot hills in TN. The roughest climb was after stopping in Corbin KY off interstate 75. Literally a mile climb back out of the valley entrance ramp. I maxed out at 55 mph trying to climb out lol. That was the worst I encountered. But it didn’t over heat.

I have nothing to compare towing to. This is my first trailer and “truck”. But so far I’m pleased with it. Except the gas mileage.
Sponsored

ölbrenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 2500HD LBZ 4x4, '19 Model 3 LR RWD, Jeep soon?
TFL has had a brand new F-150... overheat while towing well under max specs....
F150 was over tow spec/rating, TFL didn't RTFM it's all in their video.

Last edited:

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
You can always add a HEMI for more power and better fuel economy over the 3.6L w 37s

RayC

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel
I have a Willys EcoDiesel and really love it. MPG is noticeably better than gas and torque is insane. Can’t even feel am towing anything and I tow my boat and mid-sized travel trailer in FL. There is an up-charge for the Diesel and you won’t get any ROI for quite some time no matter how good MPG is. But then again…who buys a Jeep thinking on the ROI? LOL. I do have to say, in hurricane season, the Diesel makes the difference for me. Not having to listen to my mother in law calling and saying: “there is no gas anywhere, you need to go find gas”…it’s priceless! I can always find Diesel despite any gas shortage.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
F150 was over tow spec/rating, TFL didn't RTFM it's all in their video.

Actually they weren't and they just got a B.S. response from Ford which they also outlined in a recent video.

Sponsored

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
There are a lot of opinions here, but I would encourage any diesel prospects to consider the opinions of the people who actually own the diesel rigs. Forums are a very vocal place. If people have issues, they'll sure say so. The most useless advice usually comes from somebody who has an opinion of a vehicle that they've never owned.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
There are a lot of opinions here, but I would encourage any diesel prospects to consider the opinions of the people who actually own the diesel rigs. Forums are a very vocal place. If people have issues, they'll sure say so. The most useless advice usually comes from somebody who has an opinion of a vehicle that they've never owned.
Diesel owners are probably going to promote diesel. Gas owners are probably going to promote gas. Neither of those facts makes anyone's opinion any less valid.

DocMcStuffins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I think the saying goes... "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"

Douchey I know, but it is true in this case. I don't give a flying #@$% about milage. It is all about smiles/miles. Edit... I actually have looked at the milage before and have been disappointed cause I expect it to get 50miles/gallon like all the hype.

Every time my brother-in-law who is regularly in a supercharged/geared JL 3.6, he is amazed by the ride/power of the stock JTRD.

Last edited:

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Plus his diesel didn’t have the max tow, which isn’t an option on diesel it seems.
The diesel is essentially max tow. It gets the upgraded cooling fan, alternator, etc.

Only thing it may not have is the wide axles and trailer hitch zoom.

If a rubi diesel, then you have all the above plus wide track axles with the stronger cast knuckles. (Still maybe no trailer hitch zoom)

ölbrenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 2500HD LBZ 4x4, '19 Model 3 LR RWD, Jeep soon?
Actually they weren't and they just got a B.S. response from Ford which they also outlined in a recent video.
Yes that recent video is the one I posted. Where both Ford says and TFL admits they were over spec due to not RTFM. They were quite a bit overweight and over SAE speed and grade.

Sponsored

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I ordered a diesel because of the extra power and no need to regear. I had a JKUR on 37s and I was getting 12mpg... I'll be putting on 37s when I get the jeep and I'm excited to possibly see 20mpg with 37s.

$4k on a $65k msrp jeep (actually $57k from Mall of GA Jeep) is a no brainer. I was tired of the 3.6 pentastar needing to rev to 4500 rpm to feel any power... I test drove a diesel and was immediately sold. Also I'm never going to tow with it, so I don't care if it overheats when towing.

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
The diesel is essentially max tow. It gets the upgraded cooling fan, alternator, etc.

Only thing it may not have is the wide axles and trailer hitch zoom.

If a rubi diesel, then you have all the above plus wide track axles with the stronger cast knuckles. (Still maybe no trailer hitch zoom)
I have the Overland Diesel and it has the trailer hitch zoom. I think that comes with factory tow package.

rpres62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Mostly hunting and trail driving in the desert and forest in AZ. Not really doing much extreme rock crawling. I have a lot of upgrades into this one and would hate to start all over again but if the diesel is worth it I will. Mainly o hate not having 7-8 gear on the freeway with really bad fuel economy.
i am I the same though process you are. I have had a 3.0 ecodiesel andwas very happy with it. I have driven diesel hd pickups for many year an love the power and economy. Its to bad they didn’t offer the 5.7hemi in the gladiator!

rpres62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Correct. Last month, I towed a huge 8.5x24' enclosed trailer with a 7' interior roof line fully loaded with an ATV, UTV, and camping gear on a 250 mile trip one-way in temperatures around 90F with a high dewpoint (making for a miserable heat index). Granted this was coming out of the hills of Kentucky and into the corn land of Indiana. But nevertheless it was really hot outside and I was literally maxed out on payload and towing capacity. My truck showed coolant temps of <230F for 99% of the trip, with trans. temps <220F. It never over heated and never derated power. Cruised in 7th gear most of the way which is amazing.

I think the thing that gets these trucks hot is high altitude. TFL has had a brand new F-150 and a brand new Silverado overheat while towing well under max specs lately. In both cases, the trucks had the most powerful engine/transmission combos available and were equipped with towing packages. Still, they overheated and derated.

So to say that there is an inherent problem with the Gladiator EcoDiesel is just not accurate.
The diesel makes great power at 2000 rpm, if you’ve not had a diesel and you think the 3.6 is superior to it your nuts. The only thing the 3.8 out performs is the old 3.8

Racerxray1

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Rubicon JKU, 2019 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Retired
I just took delivery of my diesel rubicon and absolutely love it. I just came out of a 17 JKU that was running 37’s and geared with 4.88’s. There is absolutely no comparison. The diesel feels like a v8 Compared to my v6. No issues running in 90+ degree weather running the ac. I haven’t towed with it yet but that is next. Going to wait until I get 1k miles before I tow my 20’menclosed trailer carrying my Can Am X3.
Sponsored