Sponsored

Is the diesel gladiator worth it?

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
The diesel costs more, tows less, and is slower.

Prove me wrong.
Sponsored

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
The diesel costs more, tows less, and is slower.

Prove me wrong.
The calculations are 15-20 years to make up for the cost-savings on gas, so if you're going for diesel "for better mileage," you're doing it wrong.

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
The calculations are 15-20 years to make up for the cost-savings on gas, so if you're going for diesel "for better mileage," you're doing it wrong.
What ”calculations”? What mileage difference used for the assumption? What was the cost basis for diesel vs gasoline at the pump where this was made up? 15-20 years sounds laughable.

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
What ”calculations”? What mileage difference used for the assumption? What was the cost basis for diesel vs gasoline at the pump where this was made up? 15-20 years sounds laughable.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-jeep-gladiator-ecodiesel-first-drive-review/

Do the math with fuel prices and economy, and you'll see the value proposition works out to be about the same as the diesel Wrangler's, meaning you'll need to drive your EcoDiesel Gladiator more than 300,000 miles to save enough money on fuel to offset the $4,000 cost of the engine
At 15,000 miles/year that works out to 20 years. Maybe you can do the math to prove them wrong.

Last edited:

HighNoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
First Jeep for me. I have had trucks since the early 70’s and only bought because I wanted another truck. When I drove the gas model and it started all the gear hunting/downshifting that was a no go for me. The diesel drives effortlessly with enough power for what I need. Harley riders which the wife and I were have a saying “If I have to explain it you won’t understand”. Diesels are not for everyone and trying to explain to to a diehard gas person is not worth it. People do not pay more for less and the diesel is not less. I can also understand that most do not need more and the gas is fine to get the job done. On another note good fuel and oils are important with the engine upgrade.

Sponsored

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Its to bad they didn’t offer the 5.7hemi in the gladiator!
I don't know, the more I think about it the more I believe the EcoDiesel is superior to the Hemi. The Hemi makes significantly less torque and gets 50% less fuel economy.

Last night on the way home from a big car show, my cousin and I raced (in Mexico) from about a 40 MPH roll. His truck is a F-150 with the 5.0L Coyote V8. He's on 35" tires with aftermarket exhaust. I'm on essentially a 35" tire with a winch bumper and winch catching air. We were literally door to door until around 90 MPH when I had to let out for upcoming traffic. The only difference is that his engine consumed a lot more fuel during that run. ;)

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Motortrend is using 2.60 for regular vs 3.06 for diesel. Not all of us live in a place where gas is the cheaper fuel. Here, diesel is about 40 cents a gallon less.
It's about $2.99 for regular and diesel around here. A 3.6L pentastar wasn't even in the equation for me as I had it in my 2014 JKUR and it sucked. So I probably would have gone with a vehicle that required 93 octane and that's going for $3.59-$3.99 around here.

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
My only complaint with diesel is cold starting. I have had 4 diesels and only my Ram would start below -15 degrees Fahrenheit. I had a CRD liberty, a power stoke, and a blurtec Mercedes as well. People always asked why I never plugged them in at night. Well sometimes I have to park almost a mile from my house. No electrical outlets in the middle of nowhere. Now if I lived in Arizona it would be a different story. Id love a hybrid Mojave, but that will need to wait.

Sponsored

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Oh and payback on the diesel would be about two years for me. I drive primarily highway and 30,000 miles per year. I already have the automatic and average a little over 15 mpg. The Diesel would most likely get closer to 25 mpg.

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
Mostly hunting and trail driving in the desert and forest in AZ. Not really doing much extreme rock crawling. I have a lot of upgrades into this one and would hate to start all over again but if the diesel is worth it I will. Mainly o hate not having 7-8 gear on the freeway with really bad fuel economy.
A Mohave seems like an ideal fit for those of us in the Southwest.
The only advantage with diesel over the Pentastar is the incredible torque. But this torque may come at the cost of higher maintenance cost. Also, diesel would be a disaster if you don't use it on the highway much. It is ideal if 60-80% of your driving is on the highway and you commute long distances.
And unlike a gasser, you would need to monitor the regens, DPF filter soot level, watch out for water in the fuel (not a problem for us desert dwellers though) and monitoring turbo temps before shutting the engne off.

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
Oh and payback on the diesel would be about two years for me. I drive primarily highway and 30,000 miles per year. I already have the automatic and average a little over 15 mpg. The Diesel would most likely get closer to 25 mpg.
With primarily highway, and if you drive at 65 mph, you will easily see an average of 27+ mpg with EcoDiesel. MPG drops significantly at 70+ mph.

Pattar

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator JTRD, 1995 Ram 2500 diesel
All I gotta say is that I love my ecodiesel over the 3.6 jku that I had. The difference in torque makes up for the 20hp loss. I mainly bought the diesel because of the torque and I think of the increased mpg as a plus. I was getting 25mpg on a 400-mile trip going mostly 77mph. Where the 3.6l on this same would be consistently downshifting trying to hold its speed going in shallow inclines because the 3.6l makes most of its power on the top end while the ecodiesel has more low end power and torque.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
We had some pretty rough winter weather last year and my EcoDiesel didn't have any issues with the DEF system or fuel gelling. But I do use additives.
Sponsored