Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Too bad that in the same state that they build Jeeps, you get an extra $200 tax per year for your license plate, if the vehicle can be plugged in to charge. It doesn't matter if you can go 10 miles on a charge, or 400.

For that reason, I would never consider this.
You do know why, right? EV's don't pay any of the taxes on fuel that are charged at the filling station. Federal, State, and local taxes are currently $.464/gallon for gasoline and $.524/gallon for diesel in Ohio, and the gummint will make damn certain that they get theirs, one way or the other. They missed the boat with cigarettes ("Hey, where is our tobacco tax money?" "You made everyone quit smoking, so there is none, duh!") and don't want it to happen again.
The hybrid gets caught up in this, though. You're right.
Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Post edited....after rereading. I now understand. wouldn't the saving in gasoline cost exceed $200 tax at 50mpg? Never mind the battery only aspect.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Too bad that in the same state that they build Jeeps, you get an extra $200 tax per year for your license plate, if the vehicle can be plugged in to charge. It doesn't matter if you can go 10 miles on a charge, or 400.

For that reason, I would never consider this.
Short sighted if your hybrid saves you more than $200 annually in fuel charges...taxes donā€™t go away - pay at registration or at the pump - either way youā€™re going to pay.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Short sighted if your hybrid saves you more than $200 annually in fuel charges...taxes donā€™t go away - pay at registration or at the pump - either way youā€™re going to pay.
I already have an plug-In hybrid (Prius Plug-In). It gets 10 miles on a charge before the gas engine runs. Without plugging it in, it gets an average of 50 mpg. So I'm saving 1/5 of a gallon of gas per charge. That saves me $0.45 in gas (at $2.25/gal), but it requires 2.3 kWh to charge up. At $0.20/kWh, it cost me $0.46 in electricity. So, I'm paying more money by charging the vehicle than I would pay in gasoline at the pump. I wish I could save that $200, but I can't.

At $4.00 a gallon, I might be saving, but I would need to charge it over 588 times a year to make up that $200 tax. It takes 2.5 hours to charge by the way.

For those who have a non plug-in hybrid, Ohio charges those vehicles an extra $100 per year for their license plates.

This is a relatively new tax that they added in January 2020.

Last edited:

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
I already have an plug-In hybrid (Prius Plug-In). It gets 10 miles on a charge before the gas engine runs. Without plugging it in, it gets an average of 50 mpg. So I'm saving 1/5 of a gallon of gas per charge. That saves me $0.45 in gas (at $2.25/gal), but it requires 2.3 kWh to charge up. At $0.20/kWh, it cost me $0.46 in electricity. So, I'm paying more money by charging the vehicle than I would pay in gasoline at the pump. I wish I could save that $200, but I can't.

At $4.00 a gallon, I might be saving, but I would need to charge it over 588 times a year to make up that $200 tax. It takes 2.5 hours to charge by the way.

For those who have a non plug-in hybrid, Ohio charges those vehicles an extra $100 per year for their license plates.

This is a relatively new tax that they added in January 2020.
These are the numbers I've been looking for. The dealerships always say "well, it all depends on how much your electricity cost and that varies by municipality, and anyway, you cannot equate mpg with KWH." Translation: they have no clue. I always suspected that EV's were not as magical as people think, now I have data!

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I can answer any questions about KWh and electric cars.

Also someone above mentioned 50mpg. Thatā€™s not accurate 50MPGe is definitely not 50mpg. No Jeep in the traditional format could ever achieve such a thing due to the horrible drag coefficient etc

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
We also don't know the specs on the Gladiator battery, as it could very well be different than the Wrangler battery. Gladiator weighs more and has different program requirements, especially regarding towing and cooling. The back of the cab is also different... if the battery is housed under the rear seats like it is in the Wrangler.

The battery might be the same as the Wrangler's, it might also be bigger, and it might even be packaged on the chassis totally differently. Might not even have the same range.

SB_Punk

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Federal LEO
Hard pass. All the electric issues, aux battery on the diesels leaving folks stranded at stop lights for example, I bet these things are going to be a nightmare.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I'm just glad to hear it confirmed! Availability in 2022 (hopefully) would work well for me as I have some other expense priorities over the next year or so (building a new house).

I was initially apprehensive about the sewing-machine 2.0L backing it up, but after reading posts from 2.0L-owners in our sister site, I think it would be great off road and get decent mileage when not on electric-mode. No, not 50 mpg, but 2.0L owners are seeing ~20-25mpg with lifts and bigger tires, so that is good enough for me. They're reporting great performance off road with the turbo-four banger.

I really wanted the diesel...but for me, my commute will be too short to allow regens to happen and I'd probably be one of those who the diesel is not the best choice. With a JT 4xe, my commute would be 100% electric and I'd have decent range with the 2.0L for road trips. Win-win.

I know this is not for everyone, but it is a great option for me! The countdown is on...:time:
šŸ”Œ:jk:

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm excited for this option, and by the time I'm ready to trade the current JT, these will be out for a while, so Jeep will have time to work out some bugs or other issues that may occur. I do wonder about how the heavy battery will affect payload, so maybe that'll take some extra development time. I'm sure Jeep wouldn't want to release it if payload is so low it becomes unattractive as an option. But maybe this isn't going to be a big deal, I don't know, I'm not an engineer

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I had to google the Prius, but apparently 50 mpg is without the battery power. The claimed MPGe is ridiculous, something like >130 mpge. The site also claimed 25 miles on a charge. I'm sure it's all over the place depending on the year and specific model given how long they've been selling them.

I know every state is different but I **think** the electric vehicle charge is biennial in SC and only $60 if it's partial, $120 if it's full electric. It's a start, but we also have/had one of the lowest gas taxes in the country.

Something to consider but not a deal breaker for me.

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
The tow rating of 4xe Wrangler is the same as non-4xe, 3500 lbs.

Payload rating is supposed to be roughly the same as non-4xe as well. Around 1100-1300 lbs or so.

That doesn't mean that the Gladiator tow and payload ratings will remain similar with 4xe, but it does show that they are shooting for the 4xe to not be compromised on towing and payload.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I can answer any questions about KWh and electric cars.

Also someone above mentioned 50mpg. Thatā€™s not accurate 50MPGe is definitely not 50mpg. No Jeep in the traditional format could ever achieve such a thing due to the horrible drag coefficient etc
Actually the Prius get 50MPG for the gass engine alone. Not MPGe.