Towing Capacity - Lets get serious here...

1. 5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2010 Liberty Limited 185K miles
    Liked:

I've been thinking about this problem you showed us. I'd be pretty sad about those scratches. My wife also, on a new car. Mostly you can buff out pretty easily, but who wants to? If my JT looks like that after a little jaunt, man I'll be pissed. I hope you just ran into some oily or waxy shrubs. Did you get into paint on any that day?

Big-Foot likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Big-Foot

Big-Foot Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
    Liked:
    Fabricator
    The paint (clear coat) too a fairly heavy hit. About half of what was visible in the picture were scratches, some just streaks. The bad thing about today’s paints is that they are almost all using water based basecoat and a solvent based clearcoat. The clears are very thin. The base is even thinner. You have to rub them out carefully, checking the cloth or bonnet frequently for signs color.
    I got almost all the scratches out. There were some on the mirror caps and front fenders that remain.
    The JT is also going to be even longer than my JK Unlimited - which is somewhat handicapped when it comes to ground clearance when crawling. I have a 3” lift and factory tires (31’s). I have about the same climbing break-over clearance as a stock JK. I wonder if I will have to do a 3” lift and 35’s on a JT to get the same basic break-over clearance since it is a good bit longer than the JKU?
    Well - I guess that isn’t really going to matter if they don’t put some more snap under the hood...

5JeepsAz likes this.
  3. 5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2010 Liberty Limited 185K miles
    Liked:

The length and turning radius... Yep.

The breakover, guess we'll learn how to approach, nav, and exit all over again.

It's a pickup, light if empty. Gonna bounce and spin if not careful.

As for the paint, I've been out in the desert and lots of that washes off like you said. It's a huge concern though, thinner clear coat. I'll check it. Once was seven layers or something like that!

4. smlobx

smlobx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 EcoDiesel, 2016 F-350
    Liked:
    When they come out I suggest you take your trailer to the dealership and connect it to one with the 4:10 gears and see if that suits you.

If it doesn’t then wait for the diesel. It will pull that little trailer without any problems. I’ve got the diesel in my GC and have towed bigger trailers that you have...the additional benefit of the Gladiator is that it will have a longer and wider stance than my GC which would further aid in stability towing down the road.

5. OP
    OP
    Big-Foot

Big-Foot Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
    Liked:
    Fabricator
    I do have a great dealer that would let me try towing my trailer, but unfortunately it’s in flat land country at less than 1,000’ - so - it would be tough to tell how well it would or would not do in the mountains or altitudes above 3500’ where the 3.6 really struggles.
    I will not ever own another EPA Diesel, so that’s off the table. It might work for others though..
    I’m hopeful that Jeep will do a bigger gas engine or turbocharge the 3.6...

6. smlobx

smlobx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 EcoDiesel, 2016 F-350
    Liked:
    I seriously doubt that will ever happen.
    If you don’t care for a diesel then you should just buy a regular F-150 with the regular 3.5 Ecoboost and drive that with a few options. At least it will be narrower than the Raptor and with a few suspension upgrades it can be made very capable...

7. koala

koala Active Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle(s):
    JKU
    Liked:
    Yup I agree, me thinks the 7650 is going to turn out to be maybe true on paper only and will not be the case in the real world (at all).

8. bangolia

bangolia Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 JKU
    Liked:
    Quadratec already has accessories for the gladiator including an aftermarket hitch.

E1DFD9E3-1561-44BB-8628-5679D7C9E1AA.png

9. OP
    OP
    Big-Foot

Big-Foot Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Fabricator
    I would think that the Max-Tow package would already include the hitch receiver and 7 way connector. Hopefully would also include an integrated trailer brake controller.

10. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    There's an awful lot of Pentastar bashing going on in this thread.

Over the last 15 years, I've towed everything from farm tractors to 4x4 pickup trucks to ATVs to boats and everything in between with V6 engines that had less power than the Pentastar does. And the three Pentastar engines I've had over the last 5 years have never disappointed me when pulling a trailer at all. They actually are very strong and get good fuel economy while working.

As far as the turbo goes...be careful what you ask for. Those little turbo motors are very expensive in more ways than one, and they have poor reliability, which is likely the reason why Jeep will sell you the turbo in a Wrangler but not a Gladiator.

5JeepsAz likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Big-Foot

Big-Foot Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Fabricator
    I think you need to tow a high profile trailer in the mountains.... Heck, even without a trailer at. Over 3500’ the 3.6 feels like you’re dragging an anchor.
    Ford has had outstanding success with the Ecoboost engines. Today’s water cooled turbos don’t have near the troubles that oil cooled ones had years ago.

12. Matstock4

Matstock4 Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Chevy Silverado Z71, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
    Liked:
    The FastLane boys will likely throw the JT through the Ike gauntlet challenge. I'm very very curious to see how that goes down!

Karnaj, Professor57 and Big-Foot like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Big-Foot

Big-Foot Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Fabricator
    You’re right - they will.... I just hope that Jeep gives them a truck that isn’t specially prepped or “tuned”... Their reviews and tests of the Raptor Pickup were spot-on.