Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Yes but it's still valid.
My '99 TJ when brand new would float long before the water got near the intake and you would lose traction in the rear. (It was awesome)
The 30" is "cover your ass" arbitrary number to cause the least amount of damage from the factory perspective. 1000 factors go into what you "should" ford in any given situation.
Historically, it's the bottom of the headlights. If you look at where the intake is under the hood, you can see why that's a good rule.
Had this been tested on the Gladiator?

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Had this been tested on the Gladiator?
Not sure what you are asking.
I had my stock overland with the, what, 31"s in water about as deep as the video of the blue JT on last page except on a flooded asphalt road for a slightly longer duration to go recue my brothers flooded panel van and had no water inside and the the Jeep most definitely did not float like the TJ.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Yes but it's still valid.
My '99 TJ when brand new would float long before the water got near the intake and you would lose traction in the rear. (It was awesome)
The 30" is "cover your ass" arbitrary number to cause the least amount of damage from the factory perspective. 1000 factors go into what you "should" ford in any given situation.
Historically, it's the bottom of the headlights. If you look at where the intake is under the hood, you can see why that's a good rule.
I wouldn't do bottom of the headlights without first verifying where the auto transmission vent is.

It's good on a Gladiator, but on a '99 TJ it's at the top of the bellhousing behind the torque converter.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I wouldn't do bottom of the headlights without first verifying where the auto transmission vent is.

It's good on a Gladiator, but on a '99 TJ it's at the top of the bellhousing behind the torque converter.
It was a manual ;)

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
It was a manual ;)
I figured yours was a stick.

I had a '98 TJ with an auto. I got a little too daring with the water holes at Silver Lake Sand Dunes one time. Gave me a good excuse to extend the transmission vent while the transmission was out for a rebuild. :LOL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I find it ironic that they extend the differential vents up way high - and let the transmission and transfer case suck dirty water.
Why extend just part of the drive train vents?
There should be a bracket under the hood with a row of vents.

Last edited:

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I find it ironic that they extend the differentia vents up way high - and let the transmission and transfer case suck dirty water.
Why extend just part of the drive train vents?
There should be a bracket under the hood with a row of vents.
1659725813796.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that'll work, but the factory should do such a thing.
A bit much bling and size for my tastes, but if one wants fancy and to brag about a billet vent LOL but that works and puts them all in the same risk plane (or lack of risk compared to factory)

Maybe I'll do like I did with my aux switch wires - make a bracket and a tidy row of vent hoses

Why do they vent the differentials above axle level and leave the transmission and transfer case vents under the floor?
AMC did that in the 80s with the Eagle - front differential was up under the hood even with the air filter - transfer case and transmission still vented below the floor. Made no sense other than cost. Cheap to run a 3' hose up into the engine bay and stick the vent in the top end of the hose. But the transmission and transfer cases have no places - no nipples for a hose (can we say nipple here and not get banned?)

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
A bit much bling and size for my tastes, but if one wants fancy and to brag about a billet vent LOL but that works and puts them all in the same risk plane (or lack of risk compared to factory)

Maybe I'll do like I did with my aux switch wires - make a bracket and a tidy row of vent hoses

Why do they vent the differentials above axle level and leave the transmission and transfer case vents under the floor?
AMC did that in the 80s with the Eagle - front differential was up under the hood even with the air filter - transfer case and transmission still vented below the floor. Made no sense other than cost. Cheap to run a 3' hose up into the engine bay and stick the vent in the top end of the hose. But the transmission and transfer cases have no places - no nipples for a hose (can we say nipple here and not get banned?)
Well they do have a mock one way check valve that should prevent water rushing right in. Maybe thats enough in the OEM's eyes.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow

I’ve seen a kit that chains all the breather tubes together and routes them into the air box, presumably for someone with a snorkel since EVERYTHING would then be all the way up as high as the air intake. Effectively taking your breathers all the way to the roofline.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation