First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
My 3.0 rips, yes turbo lag is there but tolerable. Did a highway excursion last weekend, saw 27.5, dash, upon my return. Got 18.5 mpg on a 6 hour jaunt through the ADKs towing a 16.5 ft deep V Tracker w/50 hp Merc, kept trans in manual mode through the mountains. Couldn’t be happier, not one hiccup in 5,000 mi.

If you go test drive one, be prepared to bring it home

D56DD472-6927-404C-BF7A-FBA64CB0BD80.jpeg
We did test drive the 3.0 prior to our 3.6. Very very nice. But the premium to get into it was quite the touch here in Canada.
Was around $7000 Canadian, which converts to about $5600 USD..
Sponsored

eyekode

First Name
Salem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, WRX, Miata, Sienna
Occupation
Software dev
I voted EV, but I'm mixed.

It would have to be a killer powertrain for it to make sense. 400+ mile range unladen in my opinion, which would translate to half that when towing or offroad.

They'd also have to offer battery packs you can bring and strap on for an extra... 50mile range or whatever.

If they didn't accomplish that, then it wouldn't be worth it.
I agree an ev truck needs 400+ miles range to enable towing.

I'm not sure they need a range extender. But a portable generator fits fine in a truck bed :)

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
For me it would be the standard, off the shelf mass produced, 5.7 Hemi. Not the 392.

They could even be de-tuned a bit, say 360 hp/ tq to squeeze out one mpg or two for CAFE. We'd all be happy. MPG hit shouldn't suffer too much, and honestly with how expensive, yet unique Gladiators are, people would happily pay.

Also I would not put the 5.7 in the Wrangler. Leave that as is with a 392 option, but include the 5.7 as the upgrade engine for the Gladiator.

The Gladiator wouldn't eat into Ram sales. It would eat in to Tacoma, Ranger, etc sales.

Convertible truck, best in class towing, payload, best in class off-road ability, end-less aftermarket, strong brand sentiment, a V8, yeah you got a winner.

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Believe it or not the JT has eaten into the full-size market, there are full-size half tons being traded in on them. But it’s not much……yet.

Sponsored

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
I voted 392, but specifically I would want the truck version, not the fancy-pants SRT version. Dependability and simplicity is the goal here.

The other options are too complicated and unreliable/unproven.
This. Thank you.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
I chose the Turbo 3.6 just because I thought it might still be offered with a manual transmission. Odds are very much against a manufacturer testing/converting a current manual much less developing a manual option with a new engine.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Nobody voted for the old 4.0. And in fairness, you didn't include the rpm that the 260 lb-ft comes in at.
The 4.0 I6 is not the torque monster some people make them out to be.

The first gen 4.7L V8 (the wimpy 235hp one) makes more torque at 1,200 RPM than the 4.0 does at it's peak.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
no need for the 5.7 if they keep offering the diesel.

If they drop the oil burner, then by all means, replace it with the 5.7.
Diesel would never work for me. Too many short trips, it would carbon up and be a horrible B for maintenance.

Diesels work well for those that drive long distances every day. Otherwise, they are trouble. Plus all the environmental stuff, DEF and EGR valves, are always causing issues. Much luck if you are a short tripper with a diesel.

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
The 4.0 I6 is not the torque monster some people make them out to be.

The first gen 4.7L V8 (the wimpy 235hp one) makes more torque at 1,200 RPM than the 4.0 does at it's peak.
Fair enough, but the initial comparison was to the pentastar 3.6.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What a bunch of mud slinging at the 4.0 inline. No it's not a fire breathing HP monster or a V-8 or as much torque as a D.F. it's biggest fame is long living as in life cycle in years and miles by staying in low rpms. Hmm the 4.0 oil leaks that they will do after quite a lot of miles most are not a big deal to fix rear main seal oil pan valve cover and timing chain cover. My LJ "uses" aka leaks .7 qt between oil change. But it's got over 250000 miles on it. With my oil change cycle of 3500-5000 miles average 10w30 synthetic oil. Now MPG wise definitely better in my JT but my MJ did get good MPG when I was driving it all the time (other than in Europe higher speed driving) it was around 25-28 MPG before I took it to Germany.

Oh I'd like the thought of a hybrid/EV if it would be capable of being drove around 400 miles at least. My work commute is over 100 miles so that 25-40 miles electric don't cut it for me, then add most types of roads travelled.
I could see the Jeep Renegade becoming a EV/Hybrid in a year or so I might be interested in one if it would meet that criteria for driving. (As a commuter vehicle) that would be nice too due to hybrid/ EV plug in places at work.;)
Now the B.S. story of how much better it is for the environment vs ICE is not the whole truth. Electric power ( generation via coal, gas, nuke) hydro, solar and wind small portion then manufacturing the batteries and end of life recovery of the batteries makes it questionable on better. ;)

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
4xe. Drove one and was impressed with the power. The turbo and battery should work well at high elevation as well. Fuel economy is a benefit.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I'm not unhappy with my 3.6L. Especially with the 8 speed auto and the 4.10 gears. But given the choice I would take a V8.

I believe if Jeep made the 5.7L an engine option, say for $2-$3 thousand, across the entire JT line they would sell a bunch of them.

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Turbo 3.6, jus for the sake of fuel economy. But If there was a 5.7 manual with a big enough clutch that would be a rock solid option for a daily and for towing.
Sponsored