Sponsored

Aftermarket air intake system recommendations?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If you bought a JT for speed or to save on gas... you bought the wrong vehicle.
Not the point for me. I bought it for the utility it offers, and fun, but I still want the best MPG it is capable of.

In fact, one of the several reasons this is my first Jeep, is the better MPG it gets compared to previous generation Wranglers.
Sponsored

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Instead of a CAI look at bed covers if you dont already have one and it fits your needs. Improved aero may help. I dont have one on my gladiator but I picked up a 10-12% real world increase on my old ram when I installed a hard cover on it.
Agreed. Im picked up .4 to .8 L/100 km once I added my tonneau. I wont expect that from an exhaust or intake. To convert that into mpg on the high side it was 8/10th’s of a mpg. And its handy!

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
mopar intake with afe pro guard 7. with this and the pulsar, Im getting better than stock mpg now, with 37’s. Gears and exhaust next.

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket air intake system recommendations? 7A0A4A44-49E2-4C95-A757-E9780BAEE13D
Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket air intake system recommendations? A505A938-EA73-48AF-B40E-0852FD87FF85
Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket air intake system recommendations? D63146A1-655A-4440-B4DD-2440FB0CEB97
Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket air intake system recommendations? A17A069A-152D-4182-A2BC-AB96F587195F

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Any noted difference in sound or throttle response going to the AFE dry cone filter?
Yes to more growl; no to any noticed change in throttle response/power

i did notice a throttle response improvement between stock and mopar intake, however. the Progaurd 7 is actually oiled. Its like a mix of the dry filter element and a KN all in one 7 layer filter. Its intended to filter really well over every last hp.

my thought process was that it should filter as well as paper and the size of the cone make up the difference in flow.

the intake growls more at lower rev and less throttle than with the KN panel. I have not noticed any perceptible change in power up or down between the change, which is right where I wanted to be. More filtration and maintain power.

i may swap back and forth between the Blue 5r for the street/commuting and the 7 for wheeling trips. I plan on doing an oil analysis on a 5k interval on the Pro Guard 7 and posting results.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've never been a fan of the CAI's, just didn't seem to be any real benefit. After reading this, and looking at the pictures, I'm planning to get one of the Mopar units. I like the larger tube, with the baffling removed. I like that I can use the included washable filter, or the standard paper filter. I don't plan to cut the hood and install the intake piece right away, maybe after it's out of warranty.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I've never been a fan of the CAI's, just didn't seem to be any real benefit. After reading this, and looking at the pictures, I'm planning to get one of the Mopar units. I like the larger tube, with the baffling removed. I like that I can use the included washable filter, or the standard paper filter. I don't plan to cut the hood and install the intake piece right away, maybe after it's out of warranty.
Awesome. Keep us posted. Ability to put the paper filter in was my number one reason for choosing the mopar. In looking at the Holley, i think it probably would make the most power back to back on a dyno of any on the market. The SB is proven to lose power. I think the mopar is the best compromise of all advantages, with no disadvantages.

it comes with a dry panel filter, looks similar to what the AFE grey dry filter is. I have not used that one. I had a KN in my stock airbox i used; then the afe. the grey material mopar filter is definitely thicker than the red material KN uses; but id imagine its still flowing fine.

it definitely works. This intake, combined with the Pulsar, im now getting better mpg on 37’s than i did stock.

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
So I have done this at least 10 times. Im 59 and was doing this in the 80s. CAI, Exhaust systems. KnN filters on at least 15 trucks. NEVER a .001 MPG gain. So why did I do it over and over. I like the way it sounds, Looks and I like to do stuff to my trucks and continue to play with my JT now to extreme levels. So don't let all of us deter you from doing something to your Truck you want to do. Just know it will not help MPG..

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
So I have done this at least 10 times. Im 59 and was doing this in the 80s. CAI, Exhaust systems. KnN filters on at least 15 trucks. NEVER a .001 MPG gain. So why did I do it over and over. I like the way it sounds, Looks and I like to do stuff to my trucks and continue to play with my JT now to extreme levels. So don't let all of us deter you from doing something to your Truck you want to do. Just know it will not help MPG..

incorrect. the way STFT logic works inside the closed loop system means any time you remove an actual restriction, you gain power and efficiency Within closed loop operation. This is the reason why your transmission will downshift less. These fuel trim values carry over to your WOT operating tables via LTFT until STFT goes to zero. You have now added more fuel, and more power, because you forced the ecu to compensate for more air. When tuned, this benefit is (in a sense) magnified because you have better optimized fuel and ignition timing schedules. We can simply look at airboxes in other 3.6 motor iterations and see the motor in ours has room to accept more intake.

I’m getting 21 on 37’s and 4.10’s, up from 18 stock. So yeah, it works, especially when stacked with a tuner.

Last edited:

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
KurtP Congratulations. Ford spent 1.2 Billion designing the Ecoboost and and only got +2. They should of put that system on instead.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
KurtP Congratulations. Ford spent 1.2 Billion designing the Ecoboost and and only got +2. They should of put that system on instead.
between the two of us, Ive worked for an engine calibration company.

the OEM has more things to consider than pure power and efficiency.
-noise
-marketing targets
-packaging
-ease and cost of manufacturing
-octane requirements that allow for piss poor gas
etc, etc, etc

they designed ecoboost to increase torque of smaller engines in a way that performed as well as possible on the specific EPA tests with the overhead margin in safety they deemed required. They also dont use open loop tables or LTFT. They run in a constant state of closed loop via live wide band.

And while ecoboost owners see improvements from changine components and programming, we arent talking about ecoboost

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
mopar intake with afe pro guard 7. with this and the pulsar, Im getting better than stock mpg now, with 37’s. Gears and exhaust next.

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket air intake system recommendations? A17A069A-152D-4182-A2BC-AB96F587195F
OH WOW...

The outlet on the MOPAR airbox is significantly bigger.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
OH WOW...

The outlet on the MOPAR airbox is significantly bigger.
i was shocked, frankly. The pipe diameter is larger as well, and the resonator chambers are removed. As you look, you can see the actual airbox is larger too

i decided to get the mopar intake after seeing how much larger the airbox and outlet were on my woman’s GC3.6.

you’ll hear a lot about Mopar engineers making the stock intake. It casually leaves out that Mopar engineers also designed this one....only this time there were no NVH restrictions.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the aFe Pro5 filter (the Blue version) on the stock intake and I plugged up all three resonating chambers on the stock induction tube. I also went the extra mile and dremeled off all the ribs in the inner lining of the stock air box.

I do notice a difference in intake sound with those chambers plugged, more growl. As for performance my "Butt Dyno" doesn't feel a difference.

For those wondering, I used rubber stoppers to plug the resonators on the stock induction tube.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I'm running the aFe Pro5 filter (the Blue version) on the stock intake and I plugged up all three resonating chambers on the stock induction tube.

I do notice a difference in intake sound with those chambers plugged, more growl. As for performance my "Butt Dyno" doesn't feel a difference.

For those wondering, I used rubber stoppers to plug the resonators on the stock induction tube.
i respect that you didnt ask me, but that is a really bad idea......just put the pipe on or pull those things out.
Sponsored