Sponsored

5.7 Hemi install

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
The cost of the swap is also for all the engineering that went into making everything in the Jeep work like oem, gauges, controls, emissions ect.
You can do an LS swap but nothing will work or look like oem, last time I looked the new LS swap motor with trans was over $20k, the 5.7 and 6.4 swaps are new motors and transmissions not junk yard take outs.
I'm not saying LS is the way to go, and I definitely would not pay 20K for a new one that didn't keep all OEM functions.

I'm all for free market pricing. Hopefully costs come down after R&D is recouped. I would be happy with a low mileage takeout and an extra 10-15K to spend on something else.
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
45 hours seems fair. I think it's probably less after you've done it a few times, but it isn't outrageous.

The last swap I spent more time on the wiring harness than anything else, but I was able to save a lot of time because I didn't have to fab anything.
I made my harness too. In hindsight I should’ve just paid the $1,500-2k for one. It took me forever.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
As far as costs go between Ls and factory crate motors goes. 5 years ago I did a LS 6.0 and 6L80E swap in my 2007 JKU. I used a diy kit and salvaged motor and trans.
I took off one week from work to work strictly on it, that got the motor and trans installed and running. A total of 5 weeks later and a total of $15000 I had a driving swap. That amount includes all parts and pieces plus an exhaust made from scratch at a local exhaust shop.
Then the next 5 years of messing with the tune and trying to get all of the little bugs worked out from getting 2 different computer systems to work nice with each other.

That price is from 5 years ago and I am sure everything has gone up some by now. So this time, I did not have to crawl in, on and around my jeep. Have to source all of the parts and pieces needed to do the conversion plus I now have a 3 year warranty on my engine and trans. Plus no gremlins popping up! All in a week.

Is $30000 a lot? Yeah, it is on the hard to swallow side but if you are looking at brand new on the lot between the diesel and the V6 I would probably had done the diesel. But I had already gotten the V6 and after the tires, wheels, bumper, winch, bed cover and blah blah I could not justify the added expense of the diesel along with the issues some are having plus the maintenance costs of oil changes and the other related costs that go with them.

In the end it is each ones own decision as to what to do and what their end goal is. Really no right or wrong way to go, its a Jeep and its awesome!

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
The 6.4L SRT crate engine is 8-10K from Mopar and comes with a warranty FWIW. I think labor hours on the swap are a flat 40 and you pay basically retail on all the parts that go into the swap. I need to check but I don’t think anything under the hood is stock except the battery. It’s a lot of money but to me worth every penny. My only regret is not getting a demon swap so I may do the stroker kit 🤣

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Damn thats a lot of money.

I'm not judging. If you got it and thats what you want I'm all about it but...
Jeep Gladiator 5.7 Hemi install friday-movie-daaamn

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Just some cosmetic upgrades to the engine bay. I never did like the engine cover that they put on the 5.7 unlike what they put on the 6.4's. So I got me some 3D printed emblems and painted them and improved the looks of the engine bay. Plus added a oil catch can, not sure if needed or not but had one laying around so thought what the heck.

5.7 cover.jpg

345.jpg

345_1.jpg

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Just some cosmetic upgrades to the engine bay. I never did like the engine cover that they put on the 5.7 unlike what they put on the 6.4's. So I got me some 3D printed emblems and painted them and improved the looks of the engine bay. Plus added a oil catch can, not sure if needed or not but had one laying around so thought what the heck.

5.7 cover.jpg

345.jpg

345_1.jpg
Very impressive. I certainly respect anyone with the mechanical prowess to do something like this.

I get excited that I can change my own oil......... :LOL:

Last edited:

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner

Jeep Gladiator 5.7 Hemi install 345_1

Any HP gains. Sure looks faster now!

GLDHE8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2007 JK, 2006 Daytona
Occupation
Retired Mechanic
Any updates on how it pulls the trailer? I am also looking at getting the 5.7. WE pull a 3000LB trailer the 3.6 really struggles when not on flat lands.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am more interested in the torque and that it will come in more at the lower rpms.

But thanks for your opinion.
I am not trying to break your stones in any way.

But it looks like a 5.7 swap is about $25k and gets you an extra 100 hp and 160 ft-lbs of torque.

But for only $5k more, you get the 6.3 with an extra 200 hp and 230 ft-lbs of torque.

So why get the smaller one?

I'm guessing that you have a reason. I'm curious. Fuel economy? Not looking for a hot rod, just something that goes well??

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I am not trying to break your stones in any way.

But it looks like a 5.7 swap is about $25k and gets you an extra 100 hp and 160 ft-lbs of torque.

But for only $5k more, you get the 6.3 with an extra 200 hp and 230 ft-lbs of torque.

So why get the smaller one?

I'm guessing that you have a reason. I'm curious. Fuel economy? Not looking for a hot rod, just something that goes well??
No intent taken.
Heck asking questions is the only way to get different perspectives.
Everything you stated. I was really going to do the 6.4 but then the election came about and I knew fuel was going to be going up. This is my daily driver, so 6.4 requires premium fuel and the 5.7 uses regular unleaded, so fuel cost came into play. Yes the 6.4 is about $5k more, to be honest I was starting to freak out on the amount I was already spending on the 5.7 so that played into it (I know at that point does it really matter). As for the hot rod, I love power and speed but my son has a 6.4 Scat Pack and that thing is a BEAST. I have no need to be able to play like that anymore lol, just get me in trouble. Plus the 5.7 runs pretty damn good and really that hp and torque only comes into play above 2500 rpms, torque and hp curves are pretty close until that 2500 rpm, and most of the time I am not over that in normal driving and offroading.

So, I am really happy with getting the 5.7 as it is doing everything I wanted out of the V8 and still sounds really good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Any updates on how it pulls the trailer? I am also looking at getting the 5.7. WE pull a 3000LB trailer the 3.6 really struggles when not on flat lands.
Pulled the trailer great from Kansas to Silverton Co. I was pulling a Jayco Hummingbird in the neighborhood of 3500 lbs. Never ran hot and I was averaging around the 10 mpg mark most of the time, 65 mph and A/C blowing cold, ambient temp. upper 90's. The passes I did not push it and did them at about 45 mph, no troubles. That was Monarch Pass both ways.
Very happy with it and runs really well too!

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Has anybody figured out what aftermarket engine/transmission skid plates work or can be made to work with the hemi conversions. That is a lot of unprotected real estate under there. I want to do something in aluminum and not really needing full underbelly skids. Hoping to make EJS this year.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Has anybody figured out what aftermarket engine/transmission skid plates work or can be made to work with the hemi conversions. That is a lot of unprotected real estate under there. I want to do something in aluminum and not really needing full underbelly skids. Hoping to make EJS this year.
I put the full motobilt steel pan under but was also considering artec after I scratched the oil pan.'Lt what you asked but my point don't be afraid of the full belly pan :)
Sponsored