Sponsored

Anyone guinea pig these winches from Amazon?

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Never understood how people can spend $50K+ on a Jeep and buy utter bottom of the basement Chinese garbage winches made from pot metal. And every spec they list is fake/made up and the winch will be 100% non-functional after a year out in the weather.

A Factor 55 UltraHook costs almost as much as this winch. :LOL:
I bought a cheap winch because I’ll use it six times in my life.
Never understood why people spend 1k on a winch and never use it.

btw, I paid 48,100 for my Overland eco, so I guess I don’t fall into your statistics anyways.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
Never understood how people can spend $50K+ on a Jeep and buy utter bottom of the basement Chinese garbage winches made from pot metal. And every spec they list is fake/made up and the winch will be 100% non-functional after a year out in the weather.

A Factor 55 UltraHook costs almost as much as this winch. :LOL:
This sentiment comes up in many threads and shows a real lack of imagination. Yeah, likely not a lot of a gladiator owners are eating soup out of the can. But there is also something to be said for not overspending on something you might never use (for a casual off-roader). If someone markets a $1k rescue shovel and you run out to buy it because you know, “only the best for your truck”, suit yourself. But if you then say you can’t imagine anyone not buying that shovel, well, as the kids say “that’s a weird flex” where you’re just exposing yourself to be a sucker. There is no rocket science in the internals of a winch. We’ve had the “gears and a motor” tech figured out for some years now. No reason to spend $1k on a winch for a lot of people that just a want one as insurance for a one-off situation. You want to buy brand name at a premium, excellent.
The Factor55 ultra hook comment is funnier still, it offers no benefits over many other offerings, and in fact doesn’t fully cover your synthetic line from UV, which reveals even more of “a more expensive thing must be better” mindset with not a whole lot of evidence to back it up. It’s just a block of aluminum with a metal pin and a hole. Oooh, we added a hook, $350 please! Despite not buying one of these hooks myself, I am still able to understand how some people might buy that product by, you know, comprehending that everyone’s situation, risk tolerance and needs are different. You want to make a more refined suggestion when someone asks about a cheaper product, great, you don’t have to be condescending about it. OP might be in a better financial situation than you, just doesn’t want to waste his/her money when maybe there is a good option for less.

OP
OP
FKN Slayer

FKN Slayer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sarge Green Gladiator
Occupation
Sam's Club Receiving associate
This sentiment comes up in many threads and shows a real lack of imagination. Yeah, likely not a lot of a gladiator owners are eating soup out of the can. But there is also something to be said for not overspending on something you might never use (for a casual off-roader). If someone markets a $1k rescue shovel and you run out to buy it because you know, “only the best for your truck”, suit yourself. But if you then say you can’t imagine anyone not buying that shovel, well, as the kids say “that’s a weird flex” where you’re just exposing yourself to be a sucker. There is no rocket science in the internals of a winch. We’ve had the “gears and a motor” tech figured out for some years now. No reason to spend $1k on a winch for a lot of people that just a want one as insurance for a one-off situation. You want to buy brand name at a premium, excellent.
The Factor55 ultra hook comment is funnier still, it offers no benefits over many other offerings, and in fact doesn’t fully cover your synthetic line from UV, which reveals even more of “a more expensive thing must be better” mindset with not a whole lot of evidence to back it up. It’s just a block of aluminum with a metal pin and a hole. Oooh, we added a hook, $350 please! Despite not buying one of these hooks myself, I am still able to understand how some people might buy that product, you know, by comprehending that everyone’s situation, risk tolerance and needs are different. You want to make a more refined suggestion when someone asks about a cheaper product, great, you don’t have to be condescending about it. OP might be in a better financial situation than you, just doesn’t want to waste his/her money when maybe there is a good option for less.
That is exactly how I am looking at it. I'm not going to be hardcore offroading, ever. I might use the winch for pissing around in my yard, pulling logs or something. Why spend 2k for that? If I spend $3-400 and it's a POS, lesson learned. I'm not going out saving lives with it or risking my life. That $300 hook is bad ass though...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The Factor55 ultra hook comment is funnier still, it offers no benefits over many other offerings, and in fact doesn’t fully cover your synthetic line from UV, which reveals even more of “a more expensive thing must be better” mindset with not a whole lot of evidence to back it up. It’s just a block of aluminum with a metal pin and a hole. Oooh, we added a hook, $350 please! Despite not buying one of these hooks myself, I am still able to understand how some people might buy that product by, you know, comprehending that everyone’s situation, risk tolerance and needs are different. You want to make a more refined suggestion when someone asks about a cheaper product, great, you don’t have to be condescending about it. OP might be in a better financial situation than you, just doesn’t want to waste his/her money when maybe there is a good option for less.
Pretty well said.

Sponsored

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
That is exactly how I am looking at it. I'm not going to be hardcore offroading, ever. I might use the winch for pissing around in my yard, pulling logs or something. Why spend 2k for that? If I spend $3-400 and it's a POS, lesson learned. I'm not going out saving lives with it or risking my life. That $300 hook is bad ass though...
I am in the same boat, got the Zeak 13k winch, but have not had the need to use it, so no real input on it yet. I guess it went in just fine, includes both a wired and a wireless remote (both worked perfectly) and fired up without issues. The one thing I remember is that the control box is only meant to be mounted with the wires coming out the back (towards the grill). Was going to be a very tight fit, if at all. So I turned the box 90 degrees such that the wires are coming out on passenger side. But, the mounting brackets that the control box is attached to, and that themselves attach to the metal bars on the winch, aren’t designed for that. So I had to fabricate small extension pieces. This isn’t really a quality issue, just the way I wanted my control box mounted. I’ve heard these cheaper units can be light on grease inside, so I opened it up with the intent of using some mystic grease, but it was fully packed with grease, so no need.

For the shackle, I went with this one. Pretty funny to me that Factor55 decried hooks as unsafe and then added one to their ultra hook. But that’s neither here nor there. I liked that the one I got keeps the line loop covered when stored against the fairlead.
Agency 6 Billet Winch Shackle - Lightweight Aluminum Winch Attachment for Synthetic Line - 19,000 Pound Load Limit - Made in The USA with US Certified Materials - Black https://a.co/d/h0lYgn2

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Ya, using some cheap POS Chinese winch is so imaginative.

The OP didn't say anything about possibly never using it. I'm responding to what he portrayed as actually using the winch.

We've had gear and motors forever; ya tell that to the Chinese company stamping gears out of pot metal, using the cheapest solenoid and electronics that they could possible create. Then slapping a bunch of fake specs and rating on it.

I'm only appearing to be "condescending" because Americans insatiable appetite for the cheapest garbage to come out of Communist China has to stop. You know we are headed to a war with them right? I study China in the military, at a classified level. Buy from anyone else besides China.

Most people these days don't even park their cars in their garages anymore. Their garages are filled from floor to ceiling with Chinese junk. In the end, half the stuff breaks within a year or two anyway, you'd be ahead of the game if you purchased something good that lasts a long time (buy once cry once).

Anyone that needs a good rarely used winch should get something like this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Ton-Ratchet-Puller-Amsteel-Blue/dp/B00455VCTY

USA made, super tough/durable, can winch any direction (I carry one as a backup winch and to use laterally or from the rear), you're not supporting the Chinese Communist Party, can work with any vehicle, and you can pass it down to your grandchildren.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR-HVY 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
Ya, using some cheap POS Chinese winch is so imaginative.

The OP didn't say anything about possibly never using it. I'm responding to what he portrayed as actually using the winch.

We've had gear and motors forever; ya tell that to the Chinese company stamping gears out of pot metal, using the cheapest solenoid and electronics that they could possible create. Then slapping a bunch of fake specs and rating on it.

I'm only appearing to be "condescending" because Americans insatiable appetite for the cheapest garbage to come out of Communist China has to stop. You know we are headed to a war with them right? I study China in the military, at a classified level. Buy from anyone else besides China.

Most people these days don't even park their cars in their garages anymore. Their garages are filled from floor to ceiling with Chinese junk. In the end, half the stuff breaks within a year or two anyway, you'd be ahead of the game if you purchased something good that lasts a long time (buy once cry once).

Anyone that needs a good rarely used winch should get something like this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Ton-Ratchet-Puller-Amsteel-Blue/dp/B00455VCTY

USA made, super tough/durable, can winch any direction (I carry one as a backup winch and to use laterally or from the rear), you're not supporting the Chinese Communist Party, can work with any vehicle, and you can pass it down to your grandchildren.
That is a very nice come-along, way nicer than the trash I get to use at work, lmfao.

A quality manual option for sure.

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
you're not supporting the Chinese Communist Party
I hope you realize all the lil dollars you directly or indirectly send that way anyway...
Or how many people come and study etc on their dime
Buy from anyone else besides China.
*Yet it seems the governments are still not able to do so(chips, solar, etc), same as not supporting Russia etc. they still keep doing it, even when their citizen speak as you do. Maybe write another letter.

Anyway, as to wheeling. For example, good old Matt... I am sure he could afford the very best WARN and I am sure he is a proud American. He got by doing recoveries for years in an XJ and Trucks with no winch, now he is still not running the gold American made standard...

Sometimes it is good to check reality and take a deep filtered breath through your pants...

Thank you for your service anyway!

Last edited:

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Any of you run a Rugcel, Zesuper, or Zeak winch? I know they aren't Warn or Badlands and you get what you pay for, but I also know how much or little I will be using the winch.

Yeah, pretty much sums it up right there. The OP knows exactly what he's asking for, and also knows exactly how many times he will use the winch in his liftetime, which is probably seven. Next time keep your politics out of it, nobody cares. Thanks for your service.

Sponsored

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have been using a Smittybilt X20 Gen2 10k winch waterproof wireless with synthetic rope. It has treated me well so far have had it for 2 years. Bought it on Amazon, though price has gone up a bit, currently there is a 30% discount as of today.

as for many comments in this particular thread:

Warn winches are mostly ASSEMBLED in the USA and later sourced all over the world. Only Warn VR winches is different because it was both manufactured and assembled outside of USA. This is why you can’t tag Warn winches as 100% “made in the USA.”

Smittybilt winches are made in China and other overseas countries. But they are not a Chinese company as people think. They are an American company and like the other American winch companies, they also manufacture their winches offshore.

Sherpa winches are made in Brisbane, Australia just like Runva winches. They manufacture high-quality, heavy-duty, yet reasonable winches supporting accessories, and snorkels. They always keep their designs and patents to the latest concept. They have a reputation for building the highest quality winches in the industry. Sherpa winches are tested, assembled, and designed in Australia so that they can meet the demands of that region.

keep in mind, even though American companies might have manufacturing plants outside of the US for tax purposes and such, there are standards that are enforced at these off shore facilities that need to be maintained and monitored to uphold to the company standard.

just as these winches are sourced all around the globe, so is the vehicles we drive, there is not one automobile that is 100% sourced, manufactured and built inAmerica. Most of the power plants in the gladiator is made in Mexico etc. don’t forget the chip shortage that held up a lot of vehicle production as well.

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
I have been using a Smittybilt X20 Gen2 10k winch waterproof wireless with synthetic rope. It has treated me well so far have had it for 2 years. Bought it on Amazon, though price has gone up a bit, currently there is a 30% discount as of today.

as for many comments in this particular thread:

Warn winches are mostly ASSEMBLED in the USA and later sourced all over the world. Only Warn VR winches is different because it was both manufactured and assembled outside of USA. This is why you can’t tag Warn winches as 100% “made in the USA.”

Smittybilt winches are made in China and other overseas countries. But they are not a Chinese company as people think. They are an American company and like the other American winch companies, they also manufacture their winches offshore.

Sherpa winches are made in Brisbane, Australia just like Runva winches. They manufacture high-quality, heavy-duty, yet reasonable winches supporting accessories, and snorkels. They always keep their designs and patents to the latest concept. They have a reputation for building the highest quality winches in the industry. Sherpa winches are tested, assembled, and designed in Australia so that they can meet the demands of that region.

keep in mind, even though American companies might have manufacturing plants outside of the US for tax purposes and such, there are standards that are enforced at these off shore facilities that need to be maintained and monitored to uphold to the company standard.

just as these winches are sourced all around the globe, so is the vehicles we drive, there is not one automobile that is 100% sourced, manufactured and built inAmerica. Most of the power plants in the gladiator is made in Mexico etc. don’t forget the chip shortage that held up a lot of vehicle production as well.
Thanks for the heads up on the Smittybilt winches, just ordered a gen 2 10k with synthetic line for $468.00. It’s been hard to find a deal on these lately.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I got a good deal on a smittybilt X20 Gen 2 10k and have used it a few times so far. Interestingly the warn winch mount I bought for it cost nearly as much as the winch but is just as critical a part given it supports the load and must fit precisely into the frame. The smitty built seems more than adequate and fairly well built.

Stojanowski

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Occupation
Bum
I bought this one at a good deal during Black Friday and worked well the one time I’ve used it so far. Very similar to the HF Badland. The cable for the the controller when using it as wired has the Badland logo on it. Fits great in the RR Arcus bumper.

ZEAK 13000lb Platinum Winch Synthetic Rope Winch, 12V DC Power Waterproof Winch for Towing Jeep Truck Off Road, 2 in 1 Wireless Remote https://a.co/d/j1bQUWa

93F812A5-7DDE-49C3-BAD7-F675BBA178D9.jpeg

FAE9B0BB-7547-45E8-8BEE-080FC44ED62C.jpeg

FD8CC88F-358A-4A7B-813A-E54BA58187B9.jpeg
How did you get the control box to fit on top. I just put on the arcus and was trying to install the winch but the cables out of the back were hitting the grill so it wouldn't fit.

Granted I am installing on a wrangler .. figure it's the same
Sponsored