First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Looks great! Improves the off-road capabilities dramatically. With a build like this the last thing on the builders mind is where will the plywood fit. Great build. I predict a good percentage of Gladiators will end up with shortened beds.
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Improves the off-road capabilities dramatically.
Does it? Was the departure angle a big issue on the JT? With the large wheelbase, your largest obstacle is always break over angle, and this mod doesn't change that at all. Sure the departure angle isn't as good as the approach angle, and this does improve that... but when you use words like "dramatically" for a mod that doesn't even address the biggest issue with the JT I have to question it.

MoDean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2017 JK
Not my thing, but you do you. If wheeling is really the #1 concern I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just go for a JL

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm in the buy a JL crowd. Do what you want but not for me. I went to the JT from a JK cause I wanted a bed and loved the look. My JT does just fine off road. I know how to pick the right lines and tackle obstacles many wrangler drivers can't due to poor driving technique and I know when I should take a bypass route and not waste the time of everyone behind me on the trail because my ego was bigger than my brains.

abnormal 4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I don't have a Wrangler, I don't have a Gladiator, hell I don't even know if I'll buy a Jeep (some of the crap I read on here terrifies me)...I'm much more familiar with old Toyotas. But if I bought a Gladiator, I would be looking heavily into shortening the frame, the cab and the bed. I'd probably never do it, but there is not a vehicle I've owned that I have not modified in some way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
it’s unique and looks totally badass. dragging the ass coming off obstacles happens but is not a big deal I agree. another issue will be with the spare though lol. this reminded me of the old RUBITRUX JK conversions which had great proportions too.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its still got the huge wheelbase. Which is really more of a problem.
I believe our wheelbase is like 18" longer than an Unlimited.

If I wanted a more capable off road pickup truck, I'd look into the kit that converts a wrangler unlimited into a 2 door pickup truck.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Chop??!!! jkute2

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Its still got the huge wheelbase. Which is really more of a problem.
I believe our wheelbase is like 18" longer than an Unlimited.

If I wanted a more capable off road pickup truck, I'd look into the kit that converts a wrangler unlimited into a 2 door pickup truck.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Chop??!!! jkute2
funny you mention that I was just looking these up. put a HEMI in with some 40s and you got one hell of a truck

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Anyone playing with the idea to shorten the bed to reduce the overhang when wheeling ? The guys at Dixies did it and I am kinda intrigued.

Or, when wheeling just have a quick release and remove the box entirely and have a flat deck to replace it. Then you can put your 200# 43” tire and rim on it. May as well have a small crane to to lift the tire and wheel.😂

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I like the idea. I also really like that they moved the LCA mount inside the frame. Those and the rear lower shock mounts drive me nuts.

Shortening the bed 4 inches isn’t going to change the truck that much. In fact I know I have about 6 extra inches to work with where my RTT mounts, so it wouldn’t prevent that from working either.

Sponsored

SigSauerKraut

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Fuel Cell Engineer
Anyone playing with the idea to shorten the bed to reduce the overhang when wheeling ? The guys at Dixies did it and I am kinda intrigued.

I love it and I want it. I’ve only been able to get an estimate from one shop and they reported back that it would be $25k-$30k!!! For that kinda paper, I’d say not worth it. Maybe I’ll be getting some practice with body work in the near future. Anyone else get a reasonable quote or is this actually an accurate cost?

ZoneArc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Manager, Solutions Consulting
It's likely I do this in a few years. I'm having a hell of a time with my JT on 40"s come down ledges as I smash my JCR Rear bumper to hell and back every time. The departure angle and overhang is horrible. Once I start destroying stuff, at a certain point, it'll pay me to cut the rear frame/bed, etc and make adjustments to my roof rack to fit it all over again with the 18" I'll chop off the back.

I feel like there's a lot of people in this thread who also have limited or non-existent experience wheeling trucks. I spent most of the 90s wheeling a Toyota pickup and the same issue applied. The only solution was to bob that bed or build a flatbed which solved it.

SigSauerKraut

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Fuel Cell Engineer
Does it? Was the departure angle a big issue on the JT? With the large wheelbase, your largest obstacle is always break over angle, and this mod doesn't change that at all. Sure the departure angle isn't as good as the approach angle, and this does improve that... but when you use words like "dramatically" for a mod that doesn't even address the biggest issue with the JT I have to question it.
With a 3” lift and 37” tires, the break over angle is less of an issue than departure angle is for me. I’d absolutely love to have this done but the only estimate I’ve got so far is $25k-$30k and that’s just too much. That’s for a 10” bob which involves almost no sheet metal shaping. It should be a straight cut and weld.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
I'd say 1/4 of the 10k miles on my JT are off pavement. I've never had break-over be an issue on the trails I run, but I've had the departure angle be an issue going through washes a number of times.

While I won't chop my bed because I use the full length on a regular basis I could definitely see this being a useful mod. Looks pretty cool too.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Bob the bed and convert the rear doors to an extended cab and call me for an immediate deposit.
Sponsored