Coil spring part numbers

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
I dont get it. So the curb weight of the Rubicon is 400lbs. Heavier than the Sport S with Max Tow.
Rubicon 5100lbs.
Sport S Max Tow 4700lbs.

Both trims have the same GVWR at 6250lbs. Each Sport S wheel weighs 55lbs. Rubicon wheels that are 285 in size weigh approximately 80lbs.- 85lbs. I'm guessing. So that accounts for 150lbs. Difference. Where is the extra 350lbs. Difference between the Rubicon and Sport S? Body armor? How much do those side and rear rock rails weigh on a Rubicon? 100lbs. If that? Lockers and electronic disconnect sway bars another 50lbs. Maybe? What else makes the Rubicon heavier and taking away from its max payload capacity? Which, BTW, is less than the Sport S with Max Tow by exactly their difference in weight - 400lbs. Yet the Rubicon is equipped with beefier springs.

I am so torn between both trims which is why I havent pulled the trigger yet.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I dont get it. So the curb weight of the Rubicon is 400lbs. Heavier than the Sport S with Max Tow.
Rubicon 5100lbs.
Sport S Max Tow 4700lbs.

Both trims have the same GVWR at 6250lbs. Each Sport S wheel weighs 55lbs. Rubicon wheels that are 285 in size weigh approximately 80lbs.- 85lbs. I'm guessing. So that accounts for 150lbs. Difference. Where is the extra 350lbs. Difference between the Rubicon and Sport S? Body armor? How much do those side and rear rock rails weigh on a Rubicon? 100lbs. If that? Lockers and electronic disconnect sway bars another 50lbs. Maybe? What else makes the Rubicon heavier and taking away from its max payload capacity? Which, BTW, is less than the Sport S with Max Tow by exactly their difference in weight - 400lbs. Yet the Rubicon is equipped with beefier springs.

I am so torn between both trims which is why I havent pulled the trigger yet.
Wheels weigh the same, but Rubicon tires are about 10 lbs. heavier each. So that's 40 lbs. Then you've got rock rails, more skid plates, lockers, disconnecting sway bar motor, more interior options and electronics, steel bumpers, larger shocks, rear bed corner skids, etc. etc. It all adds up little by little to around 350-400 lbs. of extra weight, which is why the Rubicon has payload capacity that's 350-400 lbs. lower than Sport Max Tow.

Deciding between Sport Max Tow and Rubicon was a tough decision for me too. But, at the end of the day I brought my Gladiator home to use it for work more so than play, so the huge bump in legal payload on the Max Tow won me over.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been trying to find information on the spring rates for the mopar lift for a couple weeks and cant so far. Im in the same boat as another board member here where I will likely wait for OME to get their gear out. Everything they make is top notch in my opinion.

I have contacted MOPAR about whether the mopar lift will alter the tow capacity of the sport s w/max tow. My questions has been upgraded and sent to the service / development sections for an answer. Ill post it here when/if they do actually answer me.

Sponsored

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Anyone research and compare sport s max tow shocks to the rubicon fox shocks? Do the fox shocks allow for more travel? I also haven't come across if the rubicon spring does in fact give an inch or so of lift over sport s with max tow, anyone have proven answers yet?

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Can you tell me what side this spring is on please? I just swapped out to rubicon springs. I have a 450 and 451 and want to make sure it is on the correct side.
Passenger rear

Rdaharsh1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (Overland)
Anyone have the mopar torque values for. Upper/ lower bolts on Shocks? Upper/Lower sway bar bolts? Rear? Rear Track bar.

Sponsored

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Anyone research and compare sport s max tow shocks to the rubicon fox shocks? Do the fox shocks allow for more travel? I also haven't come across if the rubicon spring does in fact give an inch or so of lift over sport s with max tow, anyone have proven answers yet?
From what I've been reading the Rubicon Springs give around 3/4in to 1in height over the Sport S Max Tow springs, BUT the Rubicon springs are only 7 coils while the max tow has 8 coils on the rear. The max tow on the rear is also a progressive spring and a stiffer spring so adding weight to the bed of the truck will not result in the same "Sag" many Rubicon owners have reported. Rubicons are designed for flex and a softer offroad ride. Max Tow is designed to haul stuff. While the Rubicon is a few hundred pounds from the max towing capacity it's heavier and it's springs are designed to be softer.

Now I've already got a 2.5in level kit on order with a 3/4in spacer for the rear. I don't haul any trailers yet. I would like to do a rack and tent in the back. I also plan on doing a steel front bumper and a winch. That all factors into the ride height. The Rubicon springs would give a little extra lift and flex, but the max tow springs are going to be really good for carrying weight. A lot of guys with the max tow are doing a sort of hybrid setup where they run Rubicon springs on the front and leave the max tow springs in the rear and put a spacer on the rear to match the extra height up front. Then doing either a 1.5in spacer level up front or a 2 to 2.5in up front with the Rubicon shocks all the way around.

I guess if you bought the max tow for the 4.10 gears like I did and don't really tow that often doing Rubicon springs and shocks all around will probably be the way to go. If you tow then keep the max tow springs in the rear. Some guys that have done the Rubi springs all the way around on the max tow say the ride is very "bouncy" or "Floaty" and that's a bi product of having softer springs for off road. I will probably try the Rubi springs on the back and see how I feel. If I don't like the ride then it's not hard to swap them back to the stock ones.

I'll try and have some pics in a couple of weeks once it's all on.

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just wanted to update with a couple of photos. I went ahead and put the Rubicon springs on all the way around. Did some lite wheeling this weekend and it did fine, but I do notice a "Squishy" feel when going over dips or general driving around town. I am thinking about swapping back in the rear max tow springs to see the difference.
FYI it looks like it's squatting in the photo, but my driveway has a crown shape and it makes things look weird in photos. I plan on a new bumper and winch so the front will drop more once those are installed.

UIDy3naA.jpeg

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Another update. Swapped the rear Rubicon Springs for the Max Tow springs over the weekend. Nothing changed on the front. I can notice a difference in the ride quality with the max tow springs back in the rear. The "Floaty" feel is gone. When I compared both springs side by side I could not visually see a difference. My guess is the max tow springs just have a stiffer spring weight over the Rubicon springs. How that translates offroad I won't know until we are allowed out of the house again, but seeing as though I plan on adding some things to the bed I'll probably stick with the max tow springs for now. Eventually.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Another update. Swapped the rear Rubicon Springs for the Max Tow springs over the weekend. Nothing changed on the front. I can notice a difference in the ride quality with the max tow springs back in the rear. The "Floaty" feel is gone. When I compared both springs side by side I could not visually see a difference. My guess is the max tow springs just have a stiffer spring weight over the Rubicon springs. How that translates offroad I won't know until we are allowed out of the house again, but seeing as though I plan on adding some things to the bed I'll probably stick with the max tow springs for now. Eventually.
You have some great experimenting going on here. Nothing like first hand experience. Thanks for all the updates. As for your ride quality change, I test drove rubicons and sports several times right after another to feel the difference. Shocks aside, there is definitely a stiffer feel to the sport shocks (minimized body roll, harder feeling impact when hitting certain bumps etc etc). As far as off roading with a stiffer spring rate, at low speeds I really don't think it makes a big noticeable difference (my sport stuffed the tires up nicely and hit the bumpstops just as a rubicon would have), the only place i can see a softer spring helping off road is if you are traveling at a higher speed, not rock crawling. The rubicon springs will just do a better job soaking up the bumps and obstacles you hit. Anyways....i'm board and beginning to ramble i think. D*mn you Covid19! hahaha Cheers.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Was there a lift height difference in the rear between the max tow and the rubicon spring?

Also, in your photo above, is that with the rubicon springs AND the 2.5"/0.75" spacers? And what size tire? Any rake? (looks awesome btw)
Sponsored