First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Its more that they dont really care who you or your nephew are, and neither do we. your dyno posted is the same to me as theirs is, i guess is what im saying. they sell the hell out of these things anyway, so as good intentioned as you are, it doesnt really make a difference to them.

in my short time on this forum, ive read posts from aftermarket manufacturers that make it clear they dont understand how fuel trims in ecu’a work, or the relationship LTFT has to open loop fueling tables. Its kind of remarkable.
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
In closed loop operation, the ecu determines how much fuel to add based on feedback from the o2 sensors. If a restriction is removed or flow is improved, that gives more air at the same throttle angle, power will increase. Short term fuel trim will add or remove whatever fuel is required to hit target. Over time, long term fuel trim will add a portion of this change to the openloop fueling tables.

you can improve mileage if you are able to reach a higher speed than before at the same throttle angle, and you could even alter the o2 sensor signal by a fraction of a volt to make the ecu think its running lean and end up with a 13.8afr and improve mileage.

the best way to answer these question is understanding how adaptation tables work and then to test it. See what power something makes or loses at a 20% throttle angle, and then see what mac speed you can attain on the dyno before and after again at 20% throttle angle.

this will tell you if youve improved efficiency.

i want to find an improved airbox(cold air) that can still match up to a snorkel.
Have you looked at River Raiders?

Bdawg497

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Largely a bunch of hokum, and filtration quality in even the best brands is dubious at best.

Speaking to the filtration aspect, using them on high performance engines with a short life expectancy and operating on the ragged edge of reliability may have some virtue. Using them on an engine you are wanting to keep operating for hundreds of thousands of miles is counter productive.

Used oil analysis will almost always show an increase in silica(sand), which only gets into the engine through the fuel(infinitesimally small chance of this happening) and intake air.

Like many other things people will tell you they have used them for years without issue, and I would bet that they have. But issues unseen is not the same thing as issues non-existent. Very few people do used oil analysis, particularly on gas engines.

With regards to the "cold aspect" virtually all of these units use thin wall aluminum or steel ducting which sinks engine bay heat and transfers that heat the the charge air. If they insulated them they would work better, but not look cool, hence they are largely form over function which is in stark contrast to their purported value.

So if you are looking for a way to burn some cash, increase engine noise, potentially decrease the service life of the engine, while possibly gaining imperceptible amounts of horsepower then a CAI is for you. If you just want it to look cool and have something to talk about CAI is also for you. If none of the above is true, then trust that the engineers who purpose built the oem air box had some idea what they were doing and keep your money.
As an engineer, you completely miss the mark with this comment. OEM engineers have a different focus and goal.
If you aim to be a wet blanket, troll another site. This forum is meant for people who enjoy their Jeeps

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
As an engineer, you completely miss the mark with this comment. OEM engineers have a different focus and goal.
If you aim to be a wet blanket, troll another site. This forum is meant for people who enjoy their Jeeps
Having owned several CAI and "washable" breather elements, and having conducted UOA on most of them, I sneer in the general direction of your "engineer".

If you want one buy one.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Having owned several CAI and "washable" breather elements, and having conducted UOA on most of them, I sneer in the general direction of your "engineer".

If you want one buy one.
what did UOA's reveal?

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
High silica count
what were the numbers on paper filters vs a washable, and how many miles on each?

did you get results for oil and filter? Or just oil?

thnx

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
what were the numbers on paper filters vs a washable, and how many miles on each?

did you get results for oil and filter? Or just oil?

thnx
Years ago so no i cannot quote the numbers, yes had UOA with oem paper and UOA with famous name cheesecloth and silica significantly higher.
Blackstone or any other lab can help you conduct your own research

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Years ago so no i cannot quote the numbers, yes had UOA with oem paper and UOA with famous name cheesecloth and silica significantly higher.
Blackstone or any other lab can help you conduct your own research
yeah but no point re inventing a wheel when you might find one still rolling

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
yeah but no point re inventing a wheel when you might find one still rolling
If I bought a vehicle that already had a CAI and washable filter installed(very unlikely) I would probably not go to significant expense to buy an oem and replace it. If it CAME with both, yes I would reinstall the oem.

This is a hotly contested and for some emotional topic. HP/TQ gains are questionably measurable and some will argue perceptible to the driver. Filtration in many cases is measurably less efficient and some would argue detrimentally. In a world that thrives on polarity in 2020, this is a topic that can find neutrality largely due to the fact that it is "not my engine,not my money and consequently I dngaf". This is quite literally a matter of get whatever you want, it's your money.

I want a Hauk River Raider so bad I wake up with the cold sweats and have thought about selling my used underwear in vending machines in Japan to fund it, but it is all built around a washable filter and i hate that. I have other projects going and have little free time to see if I can source an efficient breather element for that box that isn't cheesecloth.

Sponsored

Shaqeroni

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator & 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler
Occupation
Retired LEO
Agreed with the above comments with it being a waste in this particular case. The prices are absurd. That being said, my bullet proof xj, and wj both got a cai when i was younger. The reason though, was strictly for a better feel for throttle response, and the straight 6 sounds great under load with a cai. If i had to mod a 4x4 engine again, i would never consider a cai. Total waste of money. Plus these modern day computers control our throttle....so i doubt you would even feel a difference in throttle response like i did with my 4.0's. Furthermore, the intake companies will boast and brag about dyno numbers being honest for the most part, you'll get up to +25hp.....this is bullshit. You need accompanying mods to see that, AND here's the kicker....even if you did see 10 to 20hp....i promise you will not feel that difference. Now on the other hand, my LS1 camaro with a heavily modified motor, NEEDED the intake because i swapped heads, intake manifold, and opened up the exhaust to 1 7/8" primaries, without the "cai" box and smooth/larger bellows, the 92mm throttle body and matching intake manifold wouldn't get the desired amount of air to complement its size. So unless you plan on going big and swapping heads on a lame little v6, i would put the money elsewhere. Yes i said it....the motors in these new jeeps are lame. Lol.
I don't know. I think 285HP from a 3.6L V-6 is pretty respectable. Especially considering the 5.0 Mustang started at 210HP in stock form and ultimately topped out at about 265HP before being replaced by the newer 4.6L Mustang which started out around 215HP and topped out in stock GT form in 2005-2010 at 300HP. Hell even the mighty Camaro/Corvette LS1 was only rated at 305HP. It's the gearing and the transmission ratios that make it all about torque and pulling/climbing power. This engine powers everything in the Chrysler lineup including the minivan and is a reliable as a rock.

immaechu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow / 2005 Honda Accord Coupe w/ Air Suspension
Occupation
Owner of printing company
Vehicle Showcase
So I don't know if this question has been asked or answered i guess.

Whats the difference between the Open Filter intakes and the ones in the closed enclosures with the small open slot. Do they both give the same amount of air flow?

For example these two:

Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intake... 54-13002-b_1_3.1595517812

Jeep Gladiator Cold Air Intake... 54-76217_1_2.1595517742

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

Whats the difference between the Open Filter intakes and the ones in the closed enclosures with the small open slot. Do they both give the same amount of air flow?

For example these two:

54-13002-b_1_3.1595517812.jpg

54-76217_1_2.1595517742.jpg
I'd imagine you get more flow with it open, but not sure. The one with the greatest flow, however, is Banks. But it actually may have more to do with the area of the filter's pleats, rather than a box. Flow does not equal hp. There is an optimum for which the 3.6 is tuned, and the factory box nails it.

If you examine where and how the air comes into the grille on the stock setup, it may get cooler air than any CAI that removes it, or than the more open unit.

You will also likely lose some measure of water ingestion protection without a box, off you go off-road.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

For example these two:

Manufacturer can provide flow rate. I suspect either of them provide more flow rate than the engine can consume at w.o.t. which is the measure of adequacy. Additionally restriction can and does in many cases increase charge air velocity, so provided flow rate is adequate, the box that is "restricted" may very well be more efficient by all measures than the less restricted model.

Beyond that on a vehicle ostensibly purposed for off road use and potentially subject to some degree of immersion protecting the filter from splash becomes a thing.

immaechu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow / 2005 Honda Accord Coupe w/ Air Suspension
Occupation
Owner of printing company
Vehicle Showcase
I'd imagine you get more flow with it open, but not sure. The one with the greatest flow, however, is Banks. But it actually may have more to do with the area of the filter's pleats, rather than a box. Flow does not equal hp. There is an optimum for which the 3.6 is tuned, and the factory box nails it.

If you examine where and how the air comes into the grille on the stock setup, it may get cooler air than any CAI that removes it, or than the more open unit.

You will also likely lose some measure of water ingestion protection without a box, off you go off-road.

So, what you're saying is the Banks CAI is the way to go?
Sponsored