Sponsored

Diesel cooling options and ideas

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
I think those louvers will help get more air through the radiator. I get jeeps point of view it would be too costly to design a hood specifically for the diesel.
why not? They did for the 392 which they sell of even less.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I am looking at getting a new gladiator and read most of the 50 pages and if you did it again would you still get the diesel over the gas.
Oh....hell yea. Love the power and mileage from of this motor.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I am looking at getting a new gladiator and read most of the 50 pages and if you did it again would you still get the diesel over the gas.
I’d probably still be in a 15 year old Xterra not getting the jeep life if they hadn’t put the diesel in it.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I never would have bought a Gladiator without the diesel or some other powerplant with bottom end torque. Im just not a 4000-6500 rpm kind of guy after owning Cummins and Cats for so many years. I would have considered it with a hemi if they offered a 45+gal fuel tank........

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I bought the JTRD to run trails in Florida.
I bought the diesel for mileage and power.
The real mileage results are very disappointing compared to advertised (-20%) and the power has to be supplemented (tuned) to be consistent, and even then...
As I've thought hard about trading for a Mojave, two things prevent me:
I love my Jeep.
Getting much worse mileage from a gasser.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
If you open up the Rubicon vents and test making kick up to create a low pressure zone above the vent would increase their efficiency. The hard part would be making them out of fiberglass or 3D print them. Im really not a fan of this hood they had to put a stupid fake scoop in the center but with some small modifications I can see it working to help extract some of the heat
That hood scoop looks to be functional/open. Whether it does any good is the real question. With all that venting top/sides, it has to provide some sort of improvement? What if u were to install some small, water resistant PC type fans to the side vents to help pull heat out? Maybe that small amount of air being rammed in from scoop helps push air out the sides and over top of motor and behind, helping to pull underhood heat back and down under vehicle? Or maybe I'm just thinking to loudly?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I bought the JTRD to run trails in Florida.
I bought the diesel for mileage and power.
The real mileage results are very disappointing compared to advertised (-20%) and the power has to be supplemented (tuned) to be consistent, and even then...
As I've thought hard about trading for a Mojave, two things prevent me:
I love my Jeep.
Getting much worse mileage from a gasser.
opposite experience here I went from 14.5mpg mixed with the engine screaming at 5000rpm up here in the foothills to 22mpg mixed on 38” tires idling up the hills. If you go for a gasser you will be very very disappointed. Oh and mine ticked rattled had a rough idle multiple misfire that 3.6l needs to be out to pasture for sure.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That hood scoop looks to be functional/open. Whether it does any good is the real question. With all that venting top/sides, it has to provide some sort of improvement? What if u were to install some small, water resistant PC type fans to the side vents to help pull heat out? Maybe that small amount of air being rammed in from scoop helps push air out the sides and over top of motor and behind, helping to pull underhood heat back and down under vehicle? Or maybe I'm just thinking to loudly?
the radiator fan moves a lot of air. I would say that alone will push air out of the engine bay through those vents.

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
Next idea is going to be to try to get underhood air out of the cowl. Maybe remove the side foam pieces at the back of the cowl and vent the cowl end pieces somehow?
This is where I’m headed now, in a quest to relieve under hood pressure I opened the rubicon hood vents and used filter outerwear to keep water from draining onto everything under the vents (rains 9 months out of the years in the pacific NWet) At the same time I removed the side foam pieces at each cowl corner. Took it for a drive to get things warmed up,, turned the fan on manually (tazer) almost no hot air was making out through the opened rubicon vents (filter outerwear probably blocking air flow, may be better off with a tray with a drain under the vents) but an incredible amount of hot air was blowing out through the 1/2” crack between the end of the hood and the cowl corners where the foam pieces were. There was also hot air blowing from the fender vents. Started looking at options to vent the corner cowl, would want matching R/L sides. Some sort of louvers to create a low pressure vent, the 4xe cowl would work for the L side, the RR Amfib low mount snorkel would work for the R side but wouldn’t match each other. Searched to see if there was a 4xe RHD with the charge port on the R side but no luck. So as a long shot I called RR support to see if they would sell a couple of the Amfib lower cowl snorkel inlets and the low mount covers. Surprisingly the answer was yes and the order completed within an hour (great Customer Service) and they arrived within 1 week. I also ordered a left side oem cowl so hopefully I can combine that and the Amfib corner to make a Left side cowl vent to match the R. I should get the R side done today and maybe do some data logging pulls with our trailer up a steep hill in mid 90s heat. If it doesn’t improve cooling I’ll have the parts needed to start making a cowl drawn CAI or snorkel if I cared to.

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 152143EB-3FE9-4279-8320-DB0EC5C94A43

4xe cowl
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 4195013D-CC14-4759-A256-A098A919DC3A

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 8396B8A9-7B62-4C2F-BAD8-1E178E726036
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 14A9D307-7341-4684-8C6E-45922E317807
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas B5A87C73-3E0B-48BE-81CF-9B00111FDC74

Sponsored

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
So that was a bust. Yesterday I did over 100 miles of data logging, both with and without the rubicon vents open and the cowl foam removed with the Amfib low mount cowl as a vent. All pulling our NOBO 10.5, truck and trailer weighing in at 9000 lb gross wt with driver.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 7964A3D6-64A1-4667-9B75-6292CD5E9AE7
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 239FFABB-4046-48D3-995E-2084E4F17FAE

The ambient temps only reached 80 instead of the forecast mid 90s and the longest hill nearby is 6 percent for 2.5 miles so I did 9 60mph pulls and the temps were nearly identical for all pulls whether all extra venting was open or closed like oem. The pulls and outside temps weren’t high or long enough to get the system to exceed the cooling systems capacity. I looked at ECT, EOT CAC in and CAC out to try to find any variations. Every parameter for every pull was nearly identical. Maybe the extra air flow could help when conditions are met to exceed the cooling capacity but otherwise there appears to be no benefit to opening the vents.

All vents open;
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 067C4C08-1824-4EA2-8A82-4B5368D3422F

All vents as OEM
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas AF75DE5A-3605-4EEB-A819-C21D080FB022

I have separate datalog files for each pull each with about 60 different parameters logged if anyone wants to examine them more closely.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
So that was a bust. Yesterday I did over 100 miles of data logging, both with and without the rubicon vents open and the cowl foam removed with the Amfib low mount cowl as a vent. All pulling our NOBO 10.5, truck and trailer weighing in at 9000 lb gross wt with driver.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas AF75DE5A-3605-4EEB-A819-C21D080FB022

The ambient temps only reached 80 instead of the forecast mid 90s and the longest hill nearby is 6 percent for 2.5 miles so I did 9 60mph pulls and the temps were nearly identical for all pulls whether all extra venting was open or closed like oem. The pulls and outside temps weren’t high or long enough to get the system to exceed the cooling systems capacity. I looked at ECT, EOT CAC in and CAC out to try to find any variations. Every parameter for every pull was nearly identical. Maybe the extra air flow could help when conditions are met to exceed the cooling capacity but otherwise there appears to be no benefit to opening the vents.

All vents open;

All vents as OEM

I have separate datalog files for each pull each with about 60 different parameters logged if anyone wants to examine them more closely.
Thanks for that data.....Falls right in where I suspected it would.

Now we need to make it a sticky at the top of this cooling and my derating thread with an with an acknowledgment and a short test before anyone can post. Maybe this way it would keep the repetitive hood venting suggestions from clogging up the discussion. Maybe even block "venting" from the post vocabulary? :)

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

All vents open;

All vents as OEM

The venting is when your stopped to help prevent heat soak on hot days. Theres reports of users having heatsoak and derating after stopping for fuel then taking off.

I Just got my poison spyder vent and will be putting it on this week. Really its to help on the trails.

Reactions: PJZ

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
The venting is when your stopped to help prevent heat soak on hot days. Theres reports of users having heatsoak and derating after stopping for fuel then taking off.

I Just got my poison spyder vent and will be putting it on this week. Really its to help on the trails.
Agreed, especially so with those designed like the PS ones. Properly designed vents/louvers are designed to be effective at speed by creating a low pressure area at the opening which causes the higher pressure under hood air to be vacuumed out. The heat extraction hood that AEV designed for the jk was designed like this to address the overheating while under load of their hemi swaps. And it worked well.
Since this thread is all about exploring cooling options to keep our engines from going into derate mode when under heavy load I was hoping to provide data helping to prove/disprove whether opening the rubicon vents and/or opening a cowl side vent could provide some similar heat extraction. I think I proved that I wasted my time, but at least I have the data to know that for sure.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Agreed, especially so with those designed like the PS ones. Properly designed vents/louvers are designed to be effective at speed by creating a low pressure area at the opening which causes the higher pressure under hood air to be vacuumed out. The heat extraction hood that AEV designed for the jk was designed like this to address the overheating while under load of their hemi swaps. And it worked well.
Since this thread is all about exploring cooling options to keep our engines from going into derate mode when under heavy load I was hoping to provide data helping to prove/disprove whether opening the rubicon vents and/or opening a cowl side vent could provide some similar heat extraction. I think I proved that I wasted my time, but at least I have the data to know that for sure.
maybe i have missed something, but your ruby open vent tests, you used some sort of fine screen/filter material to prevent rain intrusion? Did you do a test with no screen fabric also? I ask because mesh that fine will only have a open area less then 50% which means already small openings are only flowing at 50% capacity.

I opened my vents and cut full size holes in the insulation matching the size of the full vent and staggered the holes in the insulations so water would land on the top side of the insulation and shed down. Anyway i digress, when parked i can feel heat coming through the vents if i hold my hand above them, which tells me they are flowing.
Sponsored