Gladiator Mojave

Jeffg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Spotted these four JTs climbing the road to the Johnson tunnel, including a Rubicon pulling a cargo trailer. The tunnel is at the top of a very steep climb, ending up at over 11,000 feet. How do I know they were testing? The Michigan manufacturer plate for starters, then the writing on the driver door: "Automotive Test Services DOT 2270521". The DOT number comes back with the following:"

FCA US LLC
DBA: AUTOMOTIVE TEST SERVICES
  • U.S. DOT#: 2270521
  • Address: 800 CHRYSLER DRIVE
    AUBURN HILLS, MI 48326
  • Number of Vehicles: 10
  • Number of Drivers: 100
  • Number of Inspections: 4
So very obvious, no wrapping, no disquises. But why? Surely they have done all the high altitude testing and trailer towing testing before now. Again, the pass they were crossing is just over 11,000 feet so I get the idea. But why now? Apols for marginal photos but still thought it interesting. Personally I drive a '20 JLU so not sure if there was anything remarkable in the appearance of these trucks.

20210628_182455.jpg

20210628_182457.jpg

20210628_182504.jpg

20210628_182538.jpg

20210628_182540.jpg
I live 15 min from there in Dillon and hopefully they are testing V8s. I can tell you the V6 is underpowered for going up from Denver to there. My RAM with 5.7 had no issue at all.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I can't imagine that a boosted I6 would be a challenge for anyone at this point. Both the Germans and the Japanese have beat the I6 into submission with or without turbocbarging. AMC knew a thing or three about the I6 as well.

So if we are gonna play bluesky engineering, I'd want to see a compound boosted I6 backed by a dual clutch automated manual feeding some over built dana 44's backed with a long arm suspension factory 35's with a factory optional 37's and a slide in camper a al blazer chalet/jimmy casa grande but alaskan pop up style.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
They've been developing a 3-liter Inline turbo-charged 6. It hasn't been put in a vehicle yet, but it might be coming in the Grand Cherokee next year:

https://www.motor1.com/news/516432/jeep-grand-cherokee-tornado-engine/
I don't care what they're developing. My point was they already had a possibility that's already on the market.

They are missing the obvious synergies that come with being part of a conglomeration.

Alfa has the V6TT in the Quadrifoglioglioglioglio. If it fits in the Giulia, it'd fit in a Jeep. Might sound a little funny.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
edit:

I'm old and foolish (teetering on "get off my lawn" .. ). I just think that instead of only tinkering with new jeeps the smart people oughta spend their time solving some world problems also.

now,, Lets see what they got under that muleskin. Carry on!
We've solved world problems. Problem is, certain people don't like the solutions.

For starters, I'd like to remove some warning stickers like "remove clothes before ironing." Things of that nature.

If your shirt doesn't say "Lawn Service," you better be off mine.

:LOL:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
We've solved world problems. Problem is, certain people don't like the solutions.

For starters, I'd like to remove some warning stickers like "remove clothes before ironing." Things of that nature.

If your shirt doesn't say "Lawn Service," you better be off mine.

:LOL:

You are right about that.. Since this is about smart jeep people in the rockies... hey look! Solutions galore... :clap::like::rock:

https://environment.probeinternatio...tes-review-proposals-agreements-and-policies/

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/01/31/cloud-seeding/

And for Jeepers everywhere, this Jeep photo bombing an airplane:

Jeep Gladiator Interesting fleet of JT test mules in Colorado mountains 6-28-21 PIX ATTACHED 5-Shocking-Attempts-to-Control-the-Weather_00057

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something as simple as say a pack of manual transmission Gladiators with a new transmission tune or clutch testing.

Sponsored

LJ-J10-Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ(sold), 1984 J10, 2021 gladiator willys
I can't imagine that a boosted I6 would be a challenge for anyone at this point. Both the Germans and the Japanese have beat the I6 into submission with or without turbocbarging. AMC knew a thing or three about the I6 as well.
I like straight 6 engines, and AMC made great straight 6s, I have always thought it made the front end unnecessarily long, when the 232 was put in the cj5, it resulted in a longer front end that stayed through to the tj. I hope that if jeep does use a straight 6, that they don't lengthen the body.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I like straight 6 engines, and AMC made great straight 6s, I have always thought it made the front end unnecessarily long, when the 232 was put in the cj5, it resulted in a longer front end that stayed through to the tj. I hope that if jeep does use a straight 6, that they don't lengthen the body.
If it can fit the V8 without growing longer it shouldn't take too much more to fit an I6, especially if you do something like a narrow V configuration, like the audi 5cyl, the honda V4 and the VAG W8.