Sponsored

Is selec track (or full time 4WD) inherently bad or weaker?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Back to the OP's original question. Yes Selec Trac is great and it's a rare option, for only 600$$$.

When I shopped for my Jeep I read every thing. With Selec you get that awd option like Subaru (or any other) that's great form snow, dry, wet mixed etc. While 4wd may work beter in true snow (you still have the option) it's not nearly as good in mixed conditions or having to shift in and out. Take a 400 mile trip crossing 5-6 snow passes, I'll take awd every day.

To your durability Q, the drive line is basically the same. W Selec having cv joints. Which are stronger then u-joints of the 4wd. But come w the maintenance of the boot.

Over all it was one of the required options for me, I found one 400 miles away built out the way I wanted.
Boots are no issue. I've owned cars with CV front axle joints for years. For my car I keep spare boots and clamps on hand and a couple of rebuild kits that includes the grease, too.

Anyway - big winter storm here yesterday. Freezing rain, turned to snow, it was 33 when it started snowing. That left layers of ice and crud under all that snow we got. Driveway was hard plow with my lawn tractor as even though it's 4 wheel drive, it would sit and spin all 4 once I got under the snow with the blade. No one was driving fast tonight, even 4 wheel drives.
We went to church as usual for Saturday night, and needed to hit a store on the way home. .Roads were 80-100% ice and snow pack, really rough due to how it packed and the consistency of the first layers.

Where there were clear spots (wet) I drove with 2 wheels on ice and snow as much as possible to keep from shifting back and forth. Drove down there in 4H. No problems except in turning the ass end wanted to swing a bit and there was some spinning but the traction control actually did try to work tonight. When we left church I was so sure I had left it in 4H that I just took off. many miles were 100% ice and snow pack. We hit a fairly clear spot and I wanted to go ahead and shift back to 2 wheel drive and the lever wouldn't move. I looked at the dash - it was already in 2. HUH? I had driven that whole way, 10 miles of winding curves, hills and dips in two wheel drive and didn't know it? I hit a different highway going to town and hit a really bad icy stretch and hit 4H again and we were doing great. After I got past the worst of the shiny ice and really rough spots that wanted to steer you wrong, I put it back in 2 wheel drive and drove most of the rest of the way home just fine.

Some may know I've commented on how the traction control sucked on this truck? The other day I turned it off and turned it back on again and saw that it would actually kick in now and then after that.
I'm really believing in these tires now after my experience with it tonight. I figured from the fantastic reviews out there saying they were great in snow it was a good choice but after seeing how it did on those really nasty crappy roads tonight (all two lane rural highways not plowed well) I am really impressed with these tires.
Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
One extra SelecTrac bonus.

You can use Offroad+ on the road!!.

I'm not sure what that actually means yet. But it works fine.

I was able to play with it on my icy street today at low speeds. Traction control is indeed disabled.

Offroad+ is supposed to do some other stuff with shift points and throttle mapping. I'll play with that tomorrow when I'm moving faster. But I was surprised that it allowed this.
Offroad+ Does change the shift points and throttle mapping. The transmission will keep the revs up and the throttle is much more sensitive. It’s a bit like “sport” mode in many vehicles. It’s a lot of fun off-road, but I’d be hesitant to use it on snowy or icy public roads.

tommyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
I worried about the strength of the select track till the 392 came out with it as stock. Here was my thread on it wirh some information.

having it for 6 months its been great. Much less worry than going back in and out of 4hi depending on road conditions. Just put it in 4auto and drive. Everything works really well and as I had hoped with my rear limited slip. Will get a chance to beat on it in the rocks this summer.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/did-i-selec-track-the-wrong-thing.44117/

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Offroad+ Does change the shift points and throttle mapping. The transmission will keep the revs up and the throttle is much more sensitive. It’s a bit like “sport” mode in many vehicles. It’s a lot of fun off-road, but I’d be hesitant to use it on snowy or icy public roads.
I tried 4Auto with Offroad+ in a snow covered parking lot. I agree that it isn't for normal snowy public road use.

OP
OP
Savage1

Savage1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Superintendent
Back to the OP's original question. Yes Selec Trac is great and it's a rare option, for only 600$$$.

When I shopped for my Jeep I read every thing. With Selec you get that awd option like Subaru (or any other) that's great form snow, dry, wet mixed etc. While 4wd may work beter in true snow (you still have the option) it's not nearly as good in mixed conditions or having to shift in and out. Take a 400 mile trip crossing 5-6 snow passes, I'll take awd every day.

To your durability Q, the drive line is basically the same. W Selec having cv joints. Which are stronger then u-joints of the 4wd. But come w the maintenance of the boot.

Over all it was one of the required options for me, I found one 400 miles away built out the way I wanted.
What sucks is that car gurus and auto trader don't have it as a filter so you have to open every damn one and read it lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
Savage1

Savage1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Superintendent
What sucks is that car gurus and auto trader don't have it as a filter so you have to open every damn one and read it lol
I don't see myself doing any serious off-roading in it, but you never know I guess, so I think the Mojave will fill my needs. If i wanted to do any serious off roading I'd probably get a say $10k wrangler to play with.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
To me, its just a tool in the "Better traction" tool bag. Tools are only as good as you know how to use them., and I'm still learning the awesome capabilities of my stock traction control. Get out and use it, read the manual, and see what you think. I'm always impressed when I get to try it out.

OP
OP
Savage1

Savage1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Superintendent
To me, its just a tool in the "Better traction" tool bag. Tools are only as good as you know how to use them., and I'm still learning the awesome capabilities of my stock traction control. Get out and use it, read the manual, and see what you think. I'm always impressed when I get to try it out.
Do you have the AWD?

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the AWD?
I have the Command trac/ 4wd. I hate my JT on Ice, but love it in deeper snow and off road. I don't use my JT as a DD, I have commuter vehicles for that. If I was unfortunate enough to scale down to one vehicle, and if it had to be a JT, I would want the Selec trac. for better Gription. But I love my JT, it just gets used as a Recreational vehicle, and I'm lucky its just a toy to go play in. I love our AWD's for their sure footedness on icy roads. Once again, JMO. Some people love the Command trac, and are used to it on icy roads. Good luck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon and Mojave people talk as if all features are on all Gladiators...... no offroad+ on other models.

Traction control sucks on these compared to other makes. My Chevy was absolutely superior in traction control I can still spin wheels and slide this truck in a heartbeat. Taking off from an intersection with snow and/or ice I have to really take it easy as it will go sideways just leaving the stop sign. Wet road - same thing. Try to take off quickly from a stop sign after a rain and you will spin the tires and slide a bit.
It's the worst traction control I've ever driven.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Savage1

Savage1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Superintendent
I have the Command trac/ 4wd. I hate my JT on Ice, but love it in deeper snow and off road. I don't use my JT as a DD, I have commuter vehicles for that. If I was unfortunate enough to scale down to one vehicle, and if it had to be a JT, I would want the Selec trac. for better Gription. But I love my JT, it just gets used as a Recreational vehicle, and I'm lucky its just a toy to go play in. I love our AWD's for their sure footedness on icy roads. Once again, JMO. Some people love the Command trac, and are used to it on icy roads. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Yep mine will be A 2nd vehicles as well. I’ve got a Cruze diesel as my daily/work commuter car.

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
So my LT3 Hakkapeliitta studded have around 10,000 miles at this point and have been flawless. The new studs look brand new even with driving on a lot of dry roads as the snow didn’t start until Christmas Day. We have gotten a few feet since then. They literally pin the Gladiator to the ground while driving on ice making winter driving almost enjoyable. I use offroad+ frequently in both Select trac and 4hi. Never use it on paved highway, but in deeper snow it is the best mode I have discovered so far. It almost feels like a turbo when activated in snow. The combination of higher transmission gearing and less restriction on traction are powerful together.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Back before I decided to do a factory order I found that even opening the listings and reading them wouldn't necessarily tell you if it had Selec-Trac. I found it easier to just just lookup the window sticker using the VIN.

OP
OP
Savage1

Savage1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Superintendent
Back before I decided to do a factory order I found that even opening the listings and reading them wouldn't necessarily tell you if it had Selec-Trac. I found it easier to just just lookup the window sticker using the VIN.
That’s true, I’ve noticed I’ve had to look at the picture of the transfer case lever. About 90% of the listings show it

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s true, I’ve noticed I’ve hadn’t to look at the picture of the transfer case lever. About 90% of the listings show it
Watch out for "Stock photos"..........
Sponsored