Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
... but the gas also covers several recharge cycles while in hybrid mode, so those are free re-charges that nets free miles.
Not free, you will have increased drag on the ICE which results in less mileage = buying more fuel.
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
After owning a Honda Accord Hybrid... I'll never buy another Hybrid, maybe the Plug-In is different. The hybrid is great if you drive it often and at low speeds (below 40-50 mph).

When I was commuting 150 miles a day (80% highway), was getting the same MPG as the 4cyl. Then COVID hit and I didn't drive but 2-3 miles in a week to the grocery store, well that killed the battery and it wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

I'd like to see the 2.0T as an optional motor as well.
Just an FYI, hybrids are geared more towards city driving and excel there. There's a reason why on any hybrid you'll see they get better city mileage vs highway. Buying a hybrid for long commutes especially highway, isn't going to return the best results. A responsible dealer would've spoken to you about this. While you'll still see good mileage for a regular car, it's not going to be what you hoped for in getting a hybrid. This is why I heavily research large purchases, especially vehicles. Hybrids CAN be great, but you have to know your application.

eyekode

First Name
Salem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, WRX, Miata, Sienna
Occupation
Software dev
My 2ct: hybrid solutions seem overcomplicated. A combustion engine is complicated enough. Then add on an electric motor that works with the ICE? Not for me.

I would however be interested in an all electric truck (I'm looking at you cybertruck).

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
If you think towns. Citys and states won't start increasing more and more taxes on electric vehicles think again. They have no intention of losing revenue because you went electric. You will pay somewhere down the line. Just recently here in West Texas they were discussing how to increase taxes on electric vehicles to cover the loss at the pump.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Canada g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator overland
I will never ever again buy any vehicle with any form of hybrid setup. Gas, or electric, not both.

Also, don't want electric either so there's that. I would never be able to use a fully electric Gladiator how I use a gas one.

But... happy for everyone else to grab them, that's why they can offer the Hemi based on overall fleet mileage.
I own also a Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV and after less then 80.000 miles it needed a new electric engine and clutch.
I agree PHEV‘s are too complicated.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Too bad that in the same state that they build Jeeps, you get an extra $200 tax per year for your license plate, if the vehicle can be plugged in to charge. It doesn't matter if you can go 10 miles on a charge, or 400.

For that reason, I would never consider this.
They have to do something to collect excise tax, right? I think it would be better applied to charging stations.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
They have to do something to collect excise tax, right? I think it would be better applied to charging stations.
Excise tax? No. Excise tax is put on a product at the time of manufacturing. What does that have to do with consumption of fuel?

Sponsored

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
If they want people to refer to it as 4 by e and not 4 x e I wish they would capitalize the E. 4xE just works better in my brain.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ain't no tree hugger by any means but the destruction that takes place to create those batteries is crazy. O&G is the big meanie right now but down the road its likely that the environmental impact for these types of vehicles will be just as great and become an issue

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Yes cobalt & lithium

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Anyone who buys an EV or PHEV for the "environmental benefit" is fooling themselves. Vehicles are bad for the environment; we build roads, highways, bridges, etc. to allow us to travel great distances to buy our iPhones and groceries shipped in from far-off places. Heck, we all drive Jeeps, most of us with the intent to drive them off road and through some ecologically sensitive areas (yes, most of us do so responsibly, but still...).

Let's not get into the argument of which power source is evil and which is not. They all are. Until we are all driving hydrogen-powered cars that emit only water, we are impacting the environment. But then we still will be building roads, so we will never be truly "green", so let's not pretend.

I like the performance numbers of the diesel and the 392 HEMI; the 4xe would get me close to that, without having the maintenance of owning an Ecodiesel (I drive short distances so I wouldn't be a suitable diesel owner) or having a thirsty V8 (as much as I'd love one for the sound alone).

Different tool for different circumstances. What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who buys an EV or PHEV for the "environmental benefit" is fooling themselves. Vehicles are bad for the environment; we build roads, highways, bridges, etc. to allow us to travel great distances to buy our iPhones and groceries shipped in from far-off places. Heck, we all drive Jeeps, most of us with the intent to drive them off road and through some ecologically sensitive areas (yes, most of us do so responsibly, but still...).

Let's not get into the argument of which power source is evil and which is not. They all are. Until we are all driving hydrogen-powered cars that emit only water, we are impacting the environment. But then we still will be building roads, so we will never be truly "green", so let's not pretend.

I like the performance numbers of the diesel and the 392 HEMI; the 4xe would get me close to that, without having the maintenance of owning an Ecodiesel (I drive short distances so I wouldn't be a suitable diesel owner) or having a thirsty V8 (as much as I'd love one for the sound alone).

Different tool for different circumstances. What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
I'm still waiting for a Jetsons type vehicle but probably not going to happen in my lifetime.
Sponsored