Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
@Mr._Bill any chance you think with the tow package there are beefed up springs or extra metal to connect that trailer hitch adding 400lbs of weight? from what I have seen online I cannot confirm.
I'm not sure if the springs or shocks are upgraded, which would add weight, but the receiver hitch assembly that gets bolted to the frame does add weight to the truck.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Another thing that I'll remind you all of is the possibility of errors in the chart.

FCA has been NOTORIOUS for glaring errors in printed materials since the JL Wrangler hit the market at the end of 2017. There were even major errors on the official window stickers of every JL that was shipped out. I saw other errors in brochures and also the owners manual. Whoever is proofing this printed stuff for FCA before sending it out sucks at their job. There were even a group of owners on the JL forum who threatened a class action lawsuit because the window stickers stated that the vehicles had a particular feature and that feature was, in fact, an additional option.

So, there is also a possibility that these numbers on the payload/towing charts could be wrong in certain places.

OP
OP
basicGlad

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
@WXman that's super frustrating... I have still have yet to find a dealer that knows...

Screenshot_20190818-222944_Chrome.jpg

what, "1,600 when properly equipped" means.

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
It's entirely possible we'll have to wait until our preferred combination (Sport manual with tow package for me) hits a dealer lot so someone can check out the payload rating on the door sticker. There are a lot of combinations so I suppose it was difficult to distill them all into a simple chart.

By the way, @basicGlad , I think the 400 lb tongue weight being the same as the max payload difference is a coincidence. I've never seen the recommended tongue weight of your max towing capacity subtracted out like that in other truck specs. Afterall, no one is going to be driving around all of the time towing a 4000 lb trailer. When there's nothing back there you should be able to use that capacity for more stuff in the bed or cab.

I think the key is in the GVWR column. There must be two rear suspension options for the Gladiator (probably mostly the springs). The max payload would be attainable for configurations that get the 6250 lb GVWR and have a lower curb weight than the Sport max tow or Rubicon options. The rest would get the 5800 lb GVWR which presumably trades payload capacity for a softer ride. This is why I'm so interested in solving this little mystery. If I knew a Sport manual with tow had a 1200 lb max payload but the Sport S manual with tow had a 1600 lb max payload I'd probably move up to the Sport S just for that. 1200 lb is in the barely adequate range for my needs.

OP
OP
basicGlad

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
@giskard we should try compile a real world table. I am only interested in manuals as that's what I am going to order. And I am in the same boat... I want a Sport Base, but would upgrade to Sport if it's 1200 vs 1600 payload. However if you look at the previous image i posted, jeep does list on their website both Sport base and Sport s get 1600 "when properly configured". You cannot get max tow on a manual.
A local dealer has a Silver Sport S Manual with regular Tow package and the GVWR is 5800, 1200 Payload.
I have yet to find any other manual Gladiators. But there would only be:

1. Manual Rubicon
  2. Manual Sport S w/o Tow package
  3. Manual Sport S with Tow package
  4. Manual Sport Base w/o Tow package
  5. Manual Sport Base with Tow package

Last edited:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I have something to add to the confusion. I have 3 versions of the owner's manual. One from here (early in the Gladiator's release), one from the Jeep App, and one from Mopar's link. The first 2 have sections for payload saying you can't put more than 300lbs in the middle (p.90, the maximum payload for the mid posi-tion is 500 lbs (226 kg).

p.130 of the pdf i got off here (with OM-1E_V1 in the file name) has "The maximum payload for the mid position is 300 lbs (136 kg)."

The owners manual from the app has on p.128 " The maximum payload for the mid position is 500 lbs (226 kg)"

p.46 of the physical owners manual that came with the car says 500lbs for this position

So, did Jeep change the weight from 300 to 500 lb at some point?
Sponsored

Last edited: