First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Owner
Update as of 6/26 - dealership called indicating technicians at FCA are working on a fix/solution that involves a computer update, which is expected to be available mid- July.
Hmm. if FCA is so sure that they have a software update coming then why don;t they send out the service bulletin to all their dealers.? Mine is still in the shop after the second drop off at the dealer.
Sponsored

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Hmm. if FCA is so sure that they have a software update coming then why don;t they send out the service bulletin to all their dealers.? Mine is still in the shop after the second drop off at the dealer.
Then maybe my dealership wouldn’t be so eager to perform open-heart surgery on my Jeep... They’re one part away from that. Only good things come from assorted parts from the core of the engine being haphazardly replaced on the hope it will make a difference.

Minnie2011

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting
Then maybe my dealership wouldn’t be so eager to perform open-heart surgery on my Jeep... They’re one part away from that. Only good things come from assorted parts from the core of the engine being haphazardly replaced on the hope it will make a difference.
I agree. I’m glad my dealership is taking a conservative approach and waiting for guidance from FCA instead of experimenting with a brand new engine (it had 160 miles on it when CEL came on). The service manager acknowledged it was a larger issue that needs to be addressed by FCA. So, we are playing the waiting game ... week 6 now underway and counting ...

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Complete educated guess, but the issue causes the engine to start pulling timing. And the act of pulling the timing, then creates an actual problem, now the timing is off, the shifting is off, and the fueling is off. That is my guess as to how your JT processed to shaking.

I am not sure if the dealer can clear the adaptive Learning. If you could get the latest software and then drive it for a bit like it owes you money, it may drive good for a while as long is there is not some really Mecha iCal issue like phazers, rockers or lifters.
This is exactly what i was told by an engineer that works on the JT platform. He told me to drive it hard. At first i laughed it off as this is something you do with older cars to break them in.. i think it helps seat the valves.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all its been a while since i have replied to this thread since starting it.
It seems that for now my issue has resolved itself. I have 5000 miles on since the last wave of misfire issues.
I've offered this advice before but ill offer it again. My suggestion is if you are not having major issues from the misfires and there is nothing noticeable, then continue to drive it and just clear the CEL.
I was going down the path as many of you. Multiple times at the dealer and an appointment for a engine tear down and i put the brakes on it all. My philosophy.. its fully covered under warranty and if the engine blows its covered so enjoy the thing.
I'm now wondering if it just needed to learn my driving habits and have a little bit of hard driving to resolve the issue. I know this theory is not very educated but it has seemed to work for me this far.
Keep your JT's out of the shop and drive the hell out of them and when the engine blows, well warranty it.
It you are feeling nothing while driving it and dont have a blinking engine light just drive the damn thing.

Sponsored

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
It seems that for now my issue has resolved itself. I have 5000 miles on since the last wave of misfire issues.
I've offered this advice before but ill offer it again. My suggestion is if you are not having major issues from the misfires and there is nothing noticeable, then continue to drive it and just clear the CEL.
I was going down the path as many of you. Multiple times at the dealer and an appointment for a engine tear down and i put the brakes on it all. My philosophy.. its fully covered under warranty and if the engine blows its covered so enjoy the thing.
I'm now wondering if it just needed to learn my driving habits and have a little bit of hard driving to resolve the issue. I know this theory is not very educated but it has seemed to work for me this far.
Keep your JT's out of the shop and drive the hell out of them and when the engine blows, well warranty it.
It you are feeling nothing while driving it and dont have a blinking engine light just drive the damn thing.
I like this!
The American way!
How things were done, when things got done.! F em if they can’t take a joke. But honestly I like this philosophy. After about 8 solid hours of research today through this forum, facebook pages and anything I could dig up honestly this makes the most sense. I’ve read about every repair you can think of literally no stone appears un turned and nothing works and no consistent explanations. Why do some jt’s never have this problem and why do some start with this problem? mine started at 57 miles total. Is it driving habit inconsistency’s? Not getting the chance to “ break in” Ive never had mine past 45 mph before I took it in. Maybe some hit the freeway for an hour after leaving stealership, some drive like a grandpa, some like a scorned teen, and maybe some in between might be why some last a little longer before the dreaded misfire. I think I’ll take this advice as soon as I get mine back. Like stated I’ve got a warranty if it drives I’m gonna drive it!

DTrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU
I like this!
The American way!
How things were done, when things got done.! F em if they can’t take a joke. But honestly I like this philosophy. After about 8 solid hours of research today through this forum, facebook pages and anything I could dig up honestly this makes the most sense. I’ve read about every repair you can think of literally no stone appears un turned and nothing works and no consistent explanations. Why do some jt’s never have this problem and why do some start with this problem? mine started at 57 miles total. Is it driving habit inconsistency’s? Not getting the chance to “ break in” Ive never had mine past 45 mph before I took it in. Maybe some hit the freeway for an hour after leaving stealership, some drive like a grandpa, some like a scorned teen, and maybe some in between might be why some last a little longer before the dreaded misfire. I think I’ll take this advice as soon as I get mine back. Like stated I’ve got a warranty if it drives I’m gonna drive it!
Interesting approach....I should have heeded the advice. :)

Gladiator owner for 48 days. JT's been in the shop for 28 of those days on 3 occasions and counting. ESS/CEL lights consistent with other owners. 1st remediation was replace secondary battery. Fail.... 2nd remediation replaced VVL solenoids on both banks along with rockers and lash adjusters on cylinders 5/6. Replaced both CAM phasers that set the codes along with the ocv for those phasers installed. Fail... 3rd remediation total engine replacement. TBD as it's still in the shop. FCA regional director communicated to dealer they are buying back my Gladiator. Awaiting confirmation. As of now, I continue to drive the loaner vehicle as the summer passes me by with no JT. MN Lemon Law is 30 days and/or 4 occurrences. Soon to check that box.

Hope all my JT brothers and sisters have better luck!

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
For what its worth......... I drove mine gently off the lot 9 months ago, got down the road a couple of miles and thought to myself, come on man, drive this thing! I do 100 Highway miles a day (55 to 75)......
10K miles and no CEL occurences.......... hell, I wasn't even sure where it was located!!! lol
After reading this post I had to go look for it to make sure the CEL light worked!
It does!!!!! on initial start up only ;)

JayHop

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Creative Director
My Flawdiator is still in the shop. Third time. Undiagnosed CEL and ESS lights. Just found out from service advisor that it was built on Oct. 9, 2019–right in the bullseye of others who have similar problems. Don't know whether to pursue lemon law buyback, or just drive the hell out of it, even if lights come back on (which I'm sure they will).

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
It’s BS that so many of us are having this exact same problem with no help, sorry, F you, nothing from the FCA. They just keep rolling them if the line. maybe you get lucky and after they waist all your time and the dealer puts more miles on your Jeep than you have weeks months later they give you buy back option best case Scenario. Or your stuck paying the price for brand new vehicle that’s been ran through like the town .... well you know. Buy ever mechanic at the dealer wich I don’t have much faith in those guys at is. We are are getting dry F...... and the is a lot of us. I was Surprised out how many people found on fb that are having auto start cel problems that have no idea what going on. There has got to be A legal action we can take.

by the way #jeepcares don’t give a rats donkey about you I can’t even get a response

im PO I traded in my truck for a new Jeep I had in my possession for less than 48 hours and les than 70 miles before they started Molesting it in their shop

Sponsored

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
For what its worth......... I drove mine gently off the lot 9 months ago, got down the road a couple of miles and thought to myself, come on man, drive this thing! I do 100 Highway miles a day (55 to 75)......
10K miles and no CEL occurences.......... hell, I wasn't even sure where it was located!!! lol
After reading this post I had to go look for it to make sure the CEL light worked!
It does!!!!! on initial start up only ;)
My only issue with the "break it in" logic is: show me in the owner's manual where it dictates that the vehicle should be driven aggressively for x number of miles to accommodate a learning algorithm in the engine. I'd check, but my manual is in the Jeep. At the dealership. Still.

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
My only issue with the "break it in" logic is: show me in the owner's manual where it dictates that the vehicle should be driven aggressively for x number of miles to accommodate a learning algorithm in the engine. I'd check, but my manual is in the Jeep. At the dealership. Still.
I read somewhere, on this forum I think. that the engineers made a adjustment to valves? Something of the sort Specifically for the gladiator. Since it was a proven and tested motor they did not Run the proper testing afterwards. This lead others to think that for some reason unknown to my uneducated understanding of motors that “ breaking in method “ would help the motor adjust /learn this tweak that was done. Honestly I have no idea. But I do know that my Jeep has 67 miles on it now and I hade it in my possession for less than 48 hours And this is the only thing I have read that worked for anyone. Also I have warranty one they release my jt back to me If it drives I’m gonna drive it and see what happens. Blown motor coverd under warranty seams better to me than letting a bunch of fools molest my Jeep for months while I’m paying the note. Just my uneducated 2 cents/ opinion

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
Dropped mine off at the dealer yesterday for the P0300 and low and behold they are tearing the top of my engine apart. They said they got misfires on 2 and 4. Also, couldn't reproduce the crappy steering. I told him they obviously didn't drive it then because its like you spent the afternoon at the bar and now your trying to keep it straight. And to top it off there are no loaners available.

I did not have the misfire until about 8000 mi. It started with the AutoStart failing on numerous occasions. The misfire code seems to only present itself when the AC is on. Maybe due to a different load on the engine?

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
It would be my luck that I would do the “breaking in procedure” and then blow the engine and they would tell me I wasn’t supposed to drive it with the CEL on and not cover it.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
It is not a break-in procedure so to speak. When I looked at the software and logged my Jeep while driving it. I found what are called agressor tables. They pick an airflow model shift points and fueling tables based on a fever number from the agressor tables. The more aggressive settings have way more fueling and better airflow models that can tolerate a fair bit of unexpected load. The lesser table have air flow models that have no margin and if your engine exceeds what the model says it is suppose to be doing it throws a misfire light
Sponsored