Sponsored

30k Service - do I need to do all these items?

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
I used to do that to until a brake job turned into me being the cause of a lower balljoint failure a month later. There was no way of convincing him that it doesn't work that way. Family I still take care of, friends and neighbors must participate and get dirty.
Yup. I refused a few because of their attitude. I let them know that I'm just doing it mostly for fun and to stay active. They can takes their attitudes + money somewhere else.

Edit: And factory parts only unless the owner aware of the risk.
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Do I need all this at 30k, I'm assuming the fuel system stuff I can't do myself. Filters I have covered. I can't believe the brake fluid need replacing. And is the 4×4 just service, just draining and replacing diff oil?
20230129_095511~2.jpg
Kasandra, I'm so glad you brought this forward and asked others because that is a flat-out rip off job right there. Bad. I grew up with a single Mom and am very acute to circumstances when women are take advantage of. Sure men receive this crap too, but all too often it's worse for the ladies.

Anyway, as many others have mentioned, the cabin and air filter filters are the only real need. And I agree with ShadowsPapa, especially if you live in a very cold or desert area, I'd flush the brake lines about every 3 years.

They can pound sand on the rest of that garbage. Lose that dealer's number.

OP
OP
culdbbi

culdbbi

First Name
Kasandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
PM
Kasandra, I'm so glad you brought this forward and asked others because that is a flat-out rip off job right there. Bad. I grew up with a single Mom and am very acute to circumstances when women are take advantage of. Sure men receive this crap too, but all too often it's worse for the ladies.

Anyway, as many others have mentioned, the cabin and air filter filters are the only real need. And I agree with ShadowsPapa, especially if you live in a very cold or desert area, I'd flush the brake lines about every 3 years.

They can pound sand on the rest of that garbage. Lose that dealer's number.
I appreciate your post. I can read the manual as best as the next person, but wanted to hear someone say this dealership is bs. I have reached out to a couple of shops to see what kind of quotes I get for some of the list. Like I said I've done some of the work myself on my vehicles, oil change, brakes, etc. But I'd like to find a shop that I can trust and is reasonably priced for things that are just too much or needs specialized tools.

And technically I have to do all the work in the road because I have a sloped driveway, and I prefer to jack up my car on a level surface ;)

BTW, my truck gets parked outside, since my garage is barely deep enough to park a dodge neon.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate @ShadowsPapa since I've never known about the brake fluid life expectancy.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm a service interval guy, which is to say, I tell the dealer/shop to do the recommended service at each mileage interval. Most dealerships (independent shops vary) just pull up the service manual. I actually challenged a tech once because I thought what he pulled up was BS... until I opened the manual and saw that he was correct.*

All of which to say, 9 times out of 10 you can just go with the recommendation as it should match the manual. But if you find a shop recommending things NOT in the manual, never go back...

*Apparently my VW Golf "Wolfsburg" edition requires transmission service every 40k instead of 80k. But like I said... it is in the book...

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
While I don't intend on changing my brake fluid at 30k on my gladiator as I live in a very dry climate, I will be changing the brake fluid on my wife's 2014 cherokee. I suppose its time, especially since I just changed the pads and rotors last weekend. Whoops.

I learned something new here!

Sponsored

alyn

First Name
Alyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator,2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Retired
Do I need all this at 30k, I'm assuming the fuel system stuff I can't do myself. Filters I have covered. I can't believe the brake fluid need replacing. And is the 4×4 just service, just draining and replacing diff oil?
20230129_095511~2.jpg
Read the recommended services section of your "OWNERS MANUAL". Most manufacturers recommend filter changes and inspections unless your vehicle is severe use. Also oil and filter change and a can of injector cleaner. 30k done.

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
20230129_095511~2.jpg
Check this video out , i follow "The care car nut" for help with my Toyota commuter. I do my own now every 2 years for under 20 buks.

Bob Alpaca

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Occupation
Retired
So what do you do with old brake fluid?

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
So what do you do with old brake fluid?
I just poured mine into the oil container with my other used oil. Then it's going to autozone to get recycled.

Sponsored

RdFx21

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I would suggest to replace the gear oil in both differentials. There are several threads here and on the Wrangler forum that show these Danas have quite a bit of wear-in metals show up on the magnet at low miles.

Also, good practice to check all of your fluid levels. I have had to top off the steering and coolant reservoirs on mine before it even hit 10k miles.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Like many here, I’d do the service myself and save all that cash. You have to prove you did it though in case warranties are needed later.

As far as the brake flush goes, go to your local auto store and pick up one of these gizmos that reads the moisture content in the fluid. Let it tell you when the flush is needed.
I actually went out to do some pics for you when I read this thread but when I went to use the tool on the brake fluid, there’s a screen just under the lid and the fluid has dropped just under the screen so the tool probes can’t touch the fluid to do the test. 🤬 So I’m off to get some DOT 3 Fluid and top it up to the max line and after a while, I’ll check the condition of the fluid with the brake fluid tester.

Don’t assume! Get tests done, do your own stuff, have the right tools to check stuff like this and you’ll never be at the mercy of guesses, opinions and pressure tactics.

732EF14B-F679-44B0-8AA4-DD6B71BBD094.jpeg

DDE501CD-57A2-480A-A457-BD4CEAD3D7BD.jpeg
So following what I posted above, and topping up the reservoir just enough to be above the screen so my “brake fluid moisture tester” could test, …I gave the added oil some time to mix and here is what my tester says about the moisture in my brake fluid.
(53000k kms - 33k miles)
Mine is still good.

Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? AEDA1C1F-037C-4489-8781-B04B08C03400

Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? 86C1AB3B-F47E-4A75-B5A0-4A185ABF9D63

Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? CE2A981C-975D-4CC6-94D1-097C945264E1

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
You don't say! How old is the fluid? Are you going to fly it or flush it out with new stuff? It would be a real good test if you can squirt some out of a caliper and test it.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
No offense to many of you guys, but to ignore a trained mechanic, with decades of experience, like @ShadowsPapa is just ridiculous when it comes to safety.

You expect your kids to listen to you because you have way more life experience than they do---yet wonder why they refuse to apply the lessons you had to learn the hard way.....
Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? IMG_9417

As a trained Harley mechanic [MMI 2017-2018] we're taught to always flush the clutch and brake systems every two years. It wasn't that way before but it definitely is now. This is out of the Owners Manual of my 2017 CVO Street Glide

Jeep Gladiator 30k Service - do I need to do all these items? IMG_9418

And this is out of my service manual for the same bike. I can flush and bleed the brakes on any bike that doesn't have Antilock Brakes---but because I'm no longer working as an HD Tech I have to pay to get the brakes done every two years because only HD dealerships have DigitalTech2.

Do I very much suspect that the system can safely go longer? Yes, but when it comes to having a really great ABS System with all possible advantages then I'm definitely spending the coin to have this critical service done as I'm not giving up riding.

Re you guys who have given up riding due to the idiots on the road today, I understand but I just NEED to be out on my bike occasionally when the weather is good enough. Instead of 95% riding as I did from 2011 - 2020, now that I have the Jeep and live in Missouri the Jeep gets the call 90% of the time. I'd love to save the money of taxes, insurance, and maintenance but the joy I get riding way overcomes the cost.
Sponsored