Flush Mount Tail Lights

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Do what? I'm not picking on you because you have a very nice truck. But look at the gaps and molding on those Oracle lights. It's not even in the same league as the factory LED lights.

OracleLights.jpg
I had factory halogens, and they had gaps as well. I still have to remove them to put double sided tape on the resistors, and attach whichever fix comes for the reverse light, then I will worry more about getting fitment exact.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
As far as the fitment topic, I've seen many posts that show them fitting just like factory, and others showing the gaps opening towards the upper corners of the Oracle lights. I really wonder if the Jeep body panels themselves are slightly bowed more or less on each vehicle and maybe that's what's contributing to some people having larger gaps than others.

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
As far as the fitment topic, I've seen many posts that show them fitting just like factory, and others showing the gaps opening towards the upper corners of the Oracle lights. I really wonder if the Jeep body panels themselves are slightly bowed more or less on each vehicle and maybe that's what's contributing to some people having larger gaps than others.
I think a big part of it is that you can't just slide these in and toss the screws in. If you do that you will likely have large gaps. You really need to pull these towards the front of the vehicle while pushing in towards the side then hold them in place like that while screwing the mounting screws down.

The factory lights had a ball catch that popped into place on the outside of the taillight opening where the Oracle lights have studs that allow for more freedom of movement.

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
I think a big part of it is that you can't just slide these in and toss the screws in. If you do that you will likely have large gaps. You really need to pull these towards the front of the vehicle while pushing in towards the side then hold them in place like that while screwing the mounting screws down.

The factory lights had a ball catch that popped into place on the outside of the taillight opening where the Oracle lights have studs that allow for more freedom of movement.
There would certainly be small variances in the body panels - We've seen it already with the LH reflector opening on the JL Rubi Steel Rear Bumper. However, this is millimeters at most. As with most if not all manufacturing, there's always a given tolerance which would determine whether or not a part passes QC.

Most of the fitment dilemma here, is as Mike pointed out. You have to work these in. Can't just slide them in.

The studs combined with the the oversized bolt holes on the inner tailgate welds should allow enough movement to position these according to any/all variances.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
What is the issue people are having with the reverse lights when coming from halogen?

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
What is the issue people are having with the reverse lights when coming from halogen?
The reverse lights will randomly shut off since the Oracle lights pull a different load than the OEM halogen backup lights and the vehicle sees that different load and kills power to the lights. For mine they shut after about 3 or 4 seconds after shifting into reverse, others reported they shut off under different conditions.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
The reverse lights will randomly shut off since the Oracle lights pull a different load than the OEM halogen backup lights and the vehicle sees that different load and kills power to the lights. For mine they shut after about 3 or 4 seconds after shifting into reverse, others reported they shut off under different conditions.
Thanks for the reply. Havent had mine shut off yet. Is the problem fixed with a programmer?

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
Thanks for the reply. Havent had mine shut off yet. Is the problem fixed with a programmer?
I believe Oracle has stated a programmer will fix it, but they have a different fix they're working on for us if you don't want to use a programmer.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
Mine worked fine with the resistor before programming, and also without the resistor after using JScan. I had halogen.
The resistors we all got with the pre-orders do nothing for the reverse lights, they only affect the main red tail light portion of the lights. The fix oracle is working on directly affects the reverse lights.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Renegade

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The resistors we all got with the pre-orders do nothing for the reverse lights, they only affect the main red tail light portion of the lights. The fix oracle is working on directly affects the reverse lights.
I understand that. I was just pointing out that it’s not universal that the reverse lights go out. It may be that LED package JTs are more likely to sense an overload when the reverse lights are on, and shut power down. Just providing a data point and a theory.

foxman350

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
There would certainly be small variances in the body panels - We've seen it already with the LH reflector opening on the JL Rubi Steel Rear Bumper. However, this is millimeters at most. As with most if not all manufacturing, there's always a given tolerance which would determine whether or not a part passes QC.

Most of the fitment dilemma here, is as Mike pointed out. You have to work these in. Can't just slide them in.

The studs combined with the the oversized bolt holes on the inner tailgate welds should allow enough movement to position these according to any/all variances.
Have you posted a response to The screw head scratching paint?

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I thought my reverse lights were working on my halogen-equiped truck, but realized tonight that they no longer do. It sure looks like these lights can't function in any gladiator without buying an additional programmer.

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Mine arrived yesterday and were immediately installed. Absolutely love the look!!!!! The gaps are really bugging me. I go wheeling often and i can see all sorts of debris getting in the gaps. Any good recommendations on a high quality weatherstripping/molding to seal these up and clean up the look at the same time. I live in Florida so the heat destroys everything and a cheap molding will just disintegrate.