Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=24274&mid=1#:~:text=Production of the 2023 Ram,seen in a Ram truck.

"September 13, 2022 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Ram Truck is commemorating nearly a decade of EcoDiesel production and the benchmark powertrain innovation it produced. The stand-alone truck brand is offering consumers a final opportunity to order its Ram 1500 EcoDiesel model. Production of the 2023 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel will conclude in January 2023, marking the end of an era.​
Introduced in 2014, with a significant upgrade integrated for the 2020 model year, the EcoDiesel V-6 engine provided a host of impressive powertrain milestones only seen in a Ram truck."​

Wonder if that just puts the writing on the wall for the JT/JL Diesels?
Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Wonder if that just puts the writing on the wall for the JT/JL Diesels?
Not much to wonder about.
I think that press release makes it pretty obvious that if Stellantis drops it for the Ram, it most likely won't be around to put in any Jeeps.

MHS JT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT 80th Diesel
Occupation
Aerospace Plant Manager
Looks like Ram announced today that they are discontinuing the EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 in January 2023. I haven't seen any news pertaining to Jeep on this yet, has anyone else? It seems likely that they won't continue supporting the EcoDiesel in Jeeps for long once they pull the Ram plug. It'll be a shame if they do decide to pull the plug on it, and make the ones that are out there a bit of a unicorn. I'm glad I got one while they've been available, but I'm concerned part availability and repairs could become more difficult.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
One article i read said they planned on continuing on in the jeep use cases. Part of me thinks they'll stick around a bit because of the international specs, many are diesel only at this point.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
every model will be an EV .... the downfall of the driving experience imo
Seems they are going all in on EV. Time will tell us if their decision is a good one, as most other companies are taking a more measured approach considering the still slow sales of EV compared to ICE.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
They're not going whole hog on the EV thing.

They're still dumping quite a bit of money into making the 2.0 at the respective plants.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a different diesel. Maybe something along the line of what Cummins does with the 4 cylinder. Good amount of HP and torque and get the weight down so payload/towing can come up.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I remember when they first announced the 1500 with a diesel, I really really wanted one, and assumed I would buy one.....then the issues started getting reported. Such a shame, it should have been a truck that goes a million miles. I guess I was still so impressed with the little VW TDI I had at the time.

Sponsored

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
How hard is it to delete it all on the eco diesel? What’s involved? Is there a thread on this?

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
From what people have said it will not pass inspection if the DEF is removed.

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
I wonder if there is a deal worked out to keep making them for Jeep, though.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
From what people have said it will not pass inspection if the DEF is removed.
Only if you have a poor tune from what I've heard. Some states don't even use a tailpipe sensor.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Interesting especially since they just did a full update to the ecoD in 2020 going from gen2 to gen3.

investing that kind of money only to carry a new motor for 3 years doesn't seem like good business sense.
Sponsored