Sponsored

Would you choose to write off your vehicle…??

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I would attempt to put it out, just to preserve my personal items in the truck, as long as I could do it safely. I also would not want the Insurance Company to come back and question why I didn't even attempt to use the fire extinguisher I had.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Odds are the fire is under the hood. Wouldn't take much heat and flames to toast the electronics and wiring harnesses. At that point it's damned near a total in the insurance companies eyes.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
From under the hood? Depending on the fuel source, as soon as you pop it you could end up feeding the monster and have an even bigger problem on your hands. In my opinion, not always worth the risk.

Someone above said metal and plastic are not worth your life or injury and I agree.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I'd prefer it burned to the ground. Then I'd take the insurance money and take a trip to Alaska. I really like Alaska.

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
Who here carries a fire extinguisher in their truck? I never have in a vehicle before.

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I would have saved my ‘08 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 4x4 Silverado if I could have back in 2016. My son-in-la was driving it. I had no extinguisher in it - stupid. It was only the 2nd new vehicle (and last) I’ve ever owned and was immaculate as the day I brought it home with only 52,000 miles on it.
We’d been on an extended vacation, it was parked next to my grape arbor and a rat nested leaves & twigs next to the turbo piping. Fire spontaneously after an hour on the freeway.

Killed me to lose such a beautiful truck that I had obsessed over:

Jeep Gladiator Would you choose to write off your vehicle…?? CE255C2D-B80D-403D-8EA2-0D2B978CD4E1

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Who here carries a fire extinguisher in their truck? I never have in a vehicle before.
I've carried one in the truck for at least 15 years. I also keep one in the kitchen. I have not yet needed them, but they are there, just in case.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've only witnessed 1 vehicle fire and I was on the other side of the canal when we saw this shit show happen. These guys parked their new Silverado next to the bonfire to play music and somebody threw a aerosol can into the bonfire and it blew up into the cab and the rest is history.

If it were to happen to me, I'd make sure my family was out of the vehicle and let it go. By the time you get new harness's and everything else that has been compromised, I wouldn't want to own it. You're just asking for future problems
Jeep Gladiator Would you choose to write off your vehicle…?? Chevy up in flames

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
This is funny, this literally just happened to my cousin. He has an older Silverado, one of the days here in July that it was around 105F he just parked his truck at a bar between a couple of other trucks and smoke started rolling through his vents. He didn’t even think about it, ran to an airport shuttle van that just happened to be idling nearby, demanded his extinguisher, ran back to his truck and put it out. A guy that witnessed it literally said “I’ve been in insurance for a lot of years, I would have let it go”. Lol. Just wasn’t a decision to be made it was automatic. I think that’s how I would be too, no time for pondering just put that sucker out.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I carry two, a dry chemical and a halon. The Halon is for my truck. Although with all the electronics on modern vehicles I'm not sure if I would want to try to put out a fire. I was a Firefighter for 35 years and the amount of damage dry chem does to electronics is unbelievable.