Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
Because full-size is just too big!

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
Does this still apply if you keep the vehicle for 10 years or more? My wife and I usually finance new vehicles for 4 or 5 years and usually manage to pay them off early and drive them for at least ten years before passing them on. Our last two new vehicle purchases were well above 25k.
Buying a new car or a car costing more than 25k is not a wise financial decision for 99% of us. Worse yet, is doing that every few years. Plus most families have 2 cars now, which makes the math even worse. https://smartasset.com/auto/how-much-should-i-spend-on-a-car

Point being, buying the JT or JL have never been a practical investment. If you want a cool vehicle, you buy a jeep. If you want a practical vehicle, you buy used (and definitely not a used jeep).

True jeep owners never follow the math or practicality, which is why "it's a jeep thing". And also why you have already owned 5!! lol

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
The Gladiator has it's own unique frame--it is not built on the Ram DT frame; but it's rear suspension is partly borrowed from the Ram; the 2021 Wagoneer will be built on the Ram DT frame.
Interesting that the new Wagoneer is going to be built on the Ram truck frame. It is going to be huge, like an Excursion or Suburban.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Does this still apply if you keep the vehicle for 10 years or more? My wife and I usually finance new vehicles for 4 or 5 years and usually manage to pay them off early and drive them for at least ten years before passing them on. Our last two new vehicle purchases were well above 25k.
As long as those vehicles are jeeps, the math does not apply as it melds vehicle ownership and having a hobby into 1 expense. Just don't do any other expensive hobbies, like having a boat or worse, a second Jeep!! Plus I'm pretty sure there is a special tax break / deduction for jeep parts. lol

Then to get all technical, what is the opportunity cost of owning an expensive vehicle. A few more years of working into your retirement age (per vehicle), not taking those dream vacations every few years, or missing those last minute weekend getaways. A 50k daily driver today is worth a whole lot less in 20 years vs a 25k vehicle and 25k in a retirement or savings account. The DOW Jones and S&P dropping a 3rd of their value these last few months is a perfect example of a lost opportunity cost if you spent way too much on a vehicle and left nothing for savings/investing/retirement.

I am currently investing in a pretty good stock, its ticker is: TJ. It promises to take to all of my money and throw mud on me in return.

IMG_0983.jpg

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
As long as those vehicles are jeeps, the math does not apply as it melds vehicle ownership and having a hobby into 1 expense. Just don't do any other expensive hobbies, like having a boat or worse, a second Jeep!! Plus I'm pretty sure there is a special tax break / deduction for jeep parts. lol

Then to get all technical, what is the opportunity cost of owning an expensive vehicle. A few more years of working into your retirement age (per vehicle), not taking those dream vacations every few years, or missing those last minute weekend getaways. A 50k daily driver today is worth a whole lot less in 20 years vs a 25k vehicle and 25k in a retirement or savings account. The DOW Jones and S&P dropping a 3rd of their value these last few months is a perfect example of a lost opportunity cost if you spent way too much on a vehicle and left nothing for savings/investing/retirement.

I am currently investing in a pretty good stock, its ticker is: TJ. It promises to take to all of my money and throw mud on me in return.

Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? IMG_0983
:LOL: LOL, I get your point. Hope the enjoyment of working on your TJ project is worth it. I'm sure it will be.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have had full size trucks forever. As I get older I find myself using less and less of the capability. The Jeep had some cool family features and could still yank my toys around, so done. Is it practical, that is somewhat subjective. For an off road topless roadster it is really practical. Also the truck capability is real! Not a numbers gimmick. Lastly what midsize truck has solid axles???? Good ones at that!
Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? 20200603_190519
Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? 20200408_190423
Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? 20190704_130646

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
A co-worker and I have had this conversation since the rumors of and especially since the pricing of the Gladiator came out. I have wanted another CJ/Wrangler since I sold my CJ7 decades ago. But I needed to tow a boat. Now I have/can do both. My friend kept trying justify the price of a Gladiator. I kept telling him (and others) I did not want to use a chainsaw to take my top off. Convertibles always cost more. I have no regrets, Except when my wife has it and I have to drive her truck. :surprised:
I sold an F350 King Ranch Crew Cab Dually to buy my Gladiator. I felt a little cramped at first, but now I drive my wife F150 I feel like I am going to fall over and I can't reach the arm rests. You get used to the size. I don't have as much giddy up as the old turbo diesel, or the wife's 3.5 Echoboost. But it has plenty with the 4.10s and 8 speed tranny.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
In my case, full size trucks usually lease very poorly, suffering from residual values in the 50%'s or worse after 3 years. Where-as the Gladiator leases very well, given the residual value tracks closer to a Wrangler, at 76% after 3 years.

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
I have to admit, it's a jeep thing for us also.
Absolutely loved my 2016 JKU, but didn't have the towing capacity that I needed to haul my army jeep to shows.
The Gladiator is perfect for me and my wife as our primary vehicle.
If I need to haul long/ large building materials, I have a 14' dual axle equipment trailer for that.

OP
OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
OP here. Just thought I would update everyone - first I am amazed that this thread going back to December 2018 is still alive with 26,000 views. But I did end up with two vehicles so all is well - bought a '20 Sahara 2.0lT with the Sky One and love that engine and that top. That was last fall and got it off a lot for 8% off invoice. Then last month took advantage of GM panic selling and got a '20 Silverado to tow my trailer at 11% off invoice. Like I said alls well that ends well. I still DO like those JTs too!
Sponsored