Sponsored

BuiltRight Industries Bedside Racks - Any Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Matt I just went through your website and the dash mounting tray you have for the Fords would also be a great idea for the Gladiator.
I will be needing a place for my phone as well as either a ham radio or Gia GPS pad.

Thanks.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Matt I just went through your website and the dash mounting tray you have for the Fords would also be a great idea for the Gladiator.
I will be needing a place for my phone as well as either a ham radio or Gia GPS pad.

Thanks.
Product page smlobx is talking about i think, https://www.builtrightind.com/products/builtright-industries-dash-mount-2015-ford-f-150

must not be this website, http://builtriteind.com/

gotta go back and find it.
builtrightind.com

Dude, Matt, you gotta put your url in your profile or signature. I found that other site by accident. lol

pokerbob

First Name
Robert Carlini
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
you can add me to that list

List of Interested JT Owners:

1. BuiltRight
2. Stoney15
3. 2020 SCRAMBLER
4. TheITGuy
5. G8R
6. Pion
2. steffen707
8. JeepDreams
9. Mjolnir
10. quetscoatl
11. ScaleRCCrawler
12. Cproch32
13. Gtlamans
14. Heathsrow
15. kenszel
16. ralphjjr
17. Rupicon
18. SleepyJeep
19. bgenlvtex
20. TJ Mitchell Films
21. techteacher
22. dangerousone
23. TampaJLU
24. kayakmike
25. EPTJ
26. DenverGladiator
27. sad85XD

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
List of Interested JT Owners:

1. BuiltRight
2. Stoney15
3. 2020 SCRAMBLER
4. TheITGuy
5. G8R
6. Pion
2. steffen707
8. JeepDreams
9. Mjolnir
10. quetscoatl
11. ScaleRCCrawler
12. Cproch32
13. Gtlamans
14. Heathsrow
15. kenszel
16. ralphjjr
17. Rupicon
18. SleepyJeep
19. bgenlvtex
20. TJ Mitchell Films
21. techteacher
22. dangerousone
23. TampaJLU
24. kayakmike
25. EPTJ
26. DenverGladiator
27. sad85XD
HEY! i'm 2nd! kinda....thanks Matt!

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Cherokee XJ, 2004 Crossfire, 2006 300 5.7
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
Add me to that list, I was wondering how I'd be securely mounting my jerry cans/recovery gear and other items that don't need to be used often enough to want to dig through them in the bed lol. At a ~$300 price point I won't even think twice to order even if I don't have the truck yet. Not real interested in hacking the truck up if I don't have to!

Sponsored

STINGRAY92

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
So I made a set of these for my own truck recently and posted in my build thread. I got enough interest via reply and PM that I thought I should start this thread separately, to discuss bringing these to market and hopefully get some feedback from the community regarding features and such.

Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight Industries Bedside Racks - Any Interest? {filename}

Introduction:

First, a little background. I originally designed the Bedside Rack System for use in my own F-150. I was needing to load/carry/unload full pallets of product but didn't want to unload the gear I was using in the truck on the weekend. The unused space above the wheel wells was a perfect fit for most of that stuff, so I designed a set of panels and began manufacturing them.

It really picked up some steam quickly and I ended up winning the SEMA Launch Pad competition last year with the product.

Anyhow, our business still revolves around the Ford platform, but I recently bought my JT as a new daily driver and am really loving it. I've been tinkering with it after-hours but if there's enough interest in these panels, I'd really like to manufacture them and add the JT to our list of supported platforms.

To get to that point, though, I'd really value feedback from you guys regarding what attachments will be useful and how the panels can best interface with the truck.

Purpose:

The purpose is to make the space above the rear wheel wells useful by providing a modular mounting surface that gear, tools and accessories can be attached to. My proposed requirements include:

1. Must be bolt-on and require no permanent modification to the truck
  2. Must be strong enough to support equipment like a hilift jack or 3gal gas can
  3. Must hit the $300ish price point for a set of four panels
  4. Must have an OEM-like fit and finish
  5. ?

I Need Your Help!

Here's where you guys come in. I want to be sure that panels don't just work for my uses, but for yours as well. Below are a couple items that would be helpful in refining my existing custom set (which I just made for myself) into a more complete product.

1. Should we mount to the trail rail system or below it? Mounting to it simplifies installation, but does it occupy the rail space unnecessarily? If we mount below the rail, so we prevent fixed-width accessories from fitting by effectively moving the rails closer together?
  2. What accessories or gear would you be wanting to mount? Typical things are hilift jack, axe, shovel, tow straps, rotopax cans, fire extinguisher and so on. We have solution for all of those items, but is there anything else I'm missing?
  3. Should we make a panel to fit across the front of the bed as well?
  4. ?

Timing, Pricing, etc:

I really want this thread to be technical in nature but at some point, we'll begin taking payment and shipping these. In order to get to that point, I'm going to keep a list of users that are interested in a set of these, so that we can get an idea of how many people might be interested if we do a run of them. I think I'll do that in the next post. The more people we can get interested, the lower we can get the pricing. As we narrow in on a design, we can nail down pricing. That said, our existing kits are around $300 and I'd like to keep these around that. I base pricing very strictly on actual cost to manufacture, so it's just a matter of give and take.

As far as timing is concerned, once we've got some of these design issues sorted out, we'll run some more prototypes and maybe work with a couple members to do some testing and evaluation. I'd like to have that phase of the project complete in the next three weeks so that we can be shipping completed kits in early August.

Thoughts? Interest? I'd love your feedback! In any case, thanks for welcoming me into this great group!

Matt
Count me in! I have been interested since you first showcased this in your build thread.

Answers to some of your points below:

1. Definitely would prefer mounting to the trail rail system in my case. My Gladiator has the trail rail system installed and this would be perfect for easy installs.

2. I’ve been looking into pop up tents similar to the Wayout concept that appeared on this site. I’d love to mount a pop up tent to this type of frame. I’m also very much interested in a ski and snowboard mount system to fit to the Bedside Rack System.

Very excited for these types of mounts and accessories!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been looking into pop up tents similar to the Wayout concept that appeared on this site. I’d love to mount a pop up tent to this type of frame. I’m also very much interested in a ski and snowboard mount system to fit to the Bedside Rack System.
I guess you'll have to hear from the man himself, but these bedside racks aren't made to hold hundreds of pounds like for the tent.
I know Mopar has crossbars that work with the Mopar trail rail system, that should be good for snowboards and kayaks.
You'll want some kind of Rack on top of the box to carry the dynamic and static weight of an RTT.

Can you imagine the weight of an RTT with two people being held up by the mounting bolts of the trail rail system?

STINGRAY92

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
I guess you'll have to hear from the man himself, but these bedside racks aren't made to hold hundreds of pounds like for the tent.
I know Mopar has crossbars that work with the Mopar trail rail system, that should be good for snowboards and kayaks.
You'll want some kind of Rack on top of the box to carry the dynamic and static weight of an RTT.

Can you imagine the weight of an RTT with two people being held up by the mounting bolts of the trail rail system?
Thanks for the feedback! I wasn’t sure what the trail rail system was rated for, so I’m not surprised it may not be possible for a RTT and two people. I’m curious if mounting below the rail or in the bed would help? I see what looks like an RTT mounted in the initial pic.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback! I wasn’t sure what the trail rail system was rated for, so I’m not surprised it may not be possible for a RTT and two people. I’m curious if mounting below the rail or in the bed would help? I see what looks like an RTT mounted in the initial pic.
That is a seperate @BuiltRight project that he SHOULD end up brining to market with some more R&D.

The weight of the RTT in that photo is held up by the sides of the bed. My guess is that the 6 screws in the legs attach to some bracket that is then screwed into existing holes in the bed. That additional bracket is to locate the whole thing from moving around and has to be built well, but the real weight is transferring down through the box.

If I use my "ENHANCE" skills, you can see this and this

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
you can add my name to the list of interested folks. Love these sort of custom mods early in a new vehicle's life

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
probably just a chain with a caribeaner latched onto some tab screwed to the last rail?
That is a great idea!! There is a d-ring right below that latch. I’m going to grab some stuff from Home Depot to make this happen. That will give me a little extra piece of mind.

This could also be a cool option!

Let me try to find the page, but this is an ongoing debate.

This 6 page thread discusses it (https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ons-answered-on-oem-soft-tonneau-cover.17330/), but this 2 page thread by yours truly I think is what @EPTJ is concerned about. I don't think it locks. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mopar-soft-top-tonneau-easily-opened.15897/
For what’s it’s worth. This is 100% confirmed. It’s just a long rubber... bushing, I don’t know what to call it... that keeps the cover down when the tailgate is closed. Any slight pressure will bring it up and out.

quetscoatl

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR
I think a bracket for the front of the bed to hold the top panels would be nice. Something like a slimmed down double jerry can holder. Or like the brackets mobile windshield repair people use, just a double one across the bed instead of lengthwise

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I just read through all 4 pages. Lots of great ideas and options Please add me to contact list. I do travel and tow an Edge Teardrop Camper so lots of use for this system.
Thank you sir - got you added!

Thanks.
Thank you! Yes, I'm definitely needing a similar solution for myself, so a JT/JL Dash Mount won't be far off.
Product page smlobx is talking about i think, https://www.builtrightind.com/products/builtright-industries-dash-mount-2015-ford-f-150

must not be this website, http://builtriteind.com/

gotta go back and find it.
builtrightind.com

Dude, Matt, you gotta put your url in your profile or signature. I found that other site by accident. lol
Haha, thanks for the tip. I'll do that one of these days!
you can add me to that list
Excellent!
HEY! i'm 2nd! kinda....thanks Matt!
:like:
Add me to that list, I was wondering how I'd be securely mounting my jerry cans/recovery gear and other items that don't need to be used often enough to want to dig through them in the bed lol. At a ~$300 price point I won't even think twice to order even if I don't have the truck yet. Not real interested in hacking the truck up if I don't have to!
a.) Great username b.) got you added!

You and I think alike and it's what lead me to make these for my Ford. Super useful if you hate things rolling around or disappearing.
Count me in! I have been interested since you first showcased this in your build thread.

Answers to some of your points below:

1. Definitely would prefer mounting to the trail rail system in my case. My Gladiator has the trail rail system installed and this would be perfect for easy installs.

2. I’ve been looking into pop up tents similar to the Wayout concept that appeared on this site. I’d love to mount a pop up tent to this type of frame. I’m also very much interested in a ski and snowboard mount system to fit to the Bedside Rack System.

Very excited for these types of mounts and accessories!
Sounds great and thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely going to prioritize Trail Rail fitment based on the responses in this thread, but will have some sort of adapter solution for those that don't have the Trail Rails installed. Standby on the RTT stuff. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable hanging anything like that between these panels, but I'd really love to mount mine on the rails. Need to press the right people to get a load capacity (static and dynamic) on those rails.

That is a seperate @BuiltRight project that he SHOULD end up brining to market with some more R&D.

The weight of the RTT in that photo is held up by the sides of the bed. My guess is that the 6 screws in the legs attach to some bracket that is then screwed into existing holes in the bed. That additional bracket is to locate the whole thing from moving around and has to be built well, but the real weight is transferring down through the box.

If I use my "ENHANCE" skills, you can see this and this
Excellent enhancing skills.

Regarding RTT mounting, I'm really hoping that the rails can carry that load. Statically, a loaded RTT can weight a good amount (800lb+?) but dynamically (driving), even the heavier ones are what, 200lb? Working on this. The plastic bed rail caps aren't supported very well. I'll start a different thread for the rack discussion here soon, I think.
you can add my name to the list of interested folks. Love these sort of custom mods early in a new vehicle's life
Awesome! Thanks - I'm having some fun with it!
I think a bracket for the front of the bed to hold the top panels would be nice. Something like a slimmed down double jerry can holder. Or like the brackets mobile windshield repair people use, just a double one across the bed instead of lengthwise
I really like this idea. I'd like a strap/bracket/something that can either be across the front of the bed or the sides and hold the panels vertically. Without something like that, the damn things occupy nearly the entire bed!

Some recent photos:

Matt

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a great idea!! There is a d-ring right below that latch. I’m going to grab some stuff from Home Depot to make this happen. That will give me a little extra piece of mind.

For what’s it’s worth. This is 100% confirmed. It’s just a long rubber... bushing, I don’t know what to call it... that keeps the cover down when the tailgate is closed. Any slight pressure will bring it up and out.
weather stripping?

Status
Not open for further replies.