First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Would you guys mind posting some pictures of the scoop/vents before you install them. I would like to know what is on the bottom and what the vent dimensions are. I wonder if they would fit on my non Rubicon hood if I cut the holes myself. Thanks
I believe it comes with a template. They could probably email it to you. Look here for the paper cutout. https://www.sbfilters.com/AS-1015install
Sponsored

Last edited:

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I didnā€™t read this entire thread so I donā€™t know if it was mentioned here. And it would be a fair amount of work but ceramic coating your exhaust manifold and turbo housing and or exhaust pipes will help.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sarge Mojave, ā€˜21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Lots of good ideas in this thread. Hereā€™s a couple of mine:

Use a Mojave hood and cowl, which is higher than the standard and rubicon hoods (giving more room for air movement), and run a duct from the scoop across an oil cooler and then down and out the bottom of the engine compartment, or out one of the fender vents. Youā€™ll get high pressure cool air to go across the cooler, and youā€™ll avoid increasing under hood air pressure which would reduce flow through the radiator. Iā€™d plumb the oil cooler to the turbo output as mentioned earlier.

Install a thermostat controlled water mister in front of the radiator/intercooler stack. These are semi popular amongst the turbo VW crowd and Iā€™ve seen them make huge differences, such as bringing the temperature of intercooler air below ambient. Of course, you have to install a tank of water somewhere and keep it full. This option will be much more effective in dry climates.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I didnā€™t read this entire thread so I donā€™t know if it was mentioned here. And it would be a fair amount of work but ceramic coating your exhaust manifold and turbo housing and or exhaust pipes will help.
Even in gas engines keeping the heat in the exhaust is good - that's why serious people use ceramic coated headers. I've even seen folks ceramic coat the stock manifold and head pipe.

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland Diesel, 1982 CJ8 Scrambler
I reached out to PTP Turbo Blankets after seeing them mentioned in this thread and asked about any plans to offer a blanket for this application. Their response...

"If there is demand, it will be something weā€™d look further into. Unfortunately this is the first inquiry weā€™ve received for this application.

Thanks,
Customer Service

PTP Turbo Blankets"

I pointed them to the various threads on here but maybe it will help if others reach out to them.

Sponsored

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Got the s&b scoops installed very easy to do took it for a drive first impressions they don't do a lot but they do seem to help a little maybe 3-5 degrees

OP
OP
jeepin48

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Got the s&b scoops installed very easy to do took it for a drive first impressions they don't do a lot but they do seem to help a little maybe 3-5 degrees
Thanks for the update. It is really hard to check if you don't get it good and hot.

How much open vent area was there? Build quality?

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Thanks for the update. It is really hard to check if you don't get it good and hot.

How much open vent area was there? Build quality?
The opening is small I think louvers would do more build quality is average

Pike1892

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
I took the insulating blanket out of the hood and the Rubicon vents and drove up Parleys canyon from my house in SLC to Lambs Canyon last night. Ambient temps were around 85 and I pushed it empty up the canyon from 70- 80mph as much as I could with traffic. I noticed about 5-7 degree difference and when I stopped or headed back down the canyon it cooled off much quicker. The major uphill grade is from Lambs to the summit. I ran out of time.

I want to run this test in the middle of the day and load up my bed with camping gear to put a load on the truck.

I am thinking of cutting the bottoms off the Rubicon vents if it will help. I noticed that the passenger side has a lot of electronics/ battery and I may leave that vent alone or add one s&b scoop to that side. The Drivers side has much more air flow and I noticed at idle that a lot of heat was escaping out the open vent.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 20210716_201941

20210716_201953.jpg

20210716_201923.jpg

20210716_201917.jpg

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Well I just got back from driving several hours in 102 degree heat sadly I don't think the s&b scoops do anything and I even took the grill off to see if that made a difference and if it did it was very little,so my advice is save your money grills and hood scoops are not the answer

Sponsored

HighNoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Well I just got back from driving several hours in 102 degree heat sadly I don't think the s&b scoops do anything and I even took the grill off to see if that made a difference and if it did it was very little,so my advice is save your money grills and hood scoops are not the answer
Did you over heat or did the tempts just stay the same.

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I installed my scoops as well, but it's not been hot enough to do any real testing. I did roll around on the highway, up and down some steep grades, and overall may have noticed a few degrees difference, but those results would be anecdotal at best.

So far, I rolled up and down the same stretch of highway, with both scoops plugged, with both scoops unplugged, and then with the driver's side scoop unplugged, recording my temps at every mile marker.

After an hour of making loops, on overage, I noticed a few degree difference with both scoops open, and had slightly better results with just the drivers side unplugged. But, one round would be 3 or 4 degrees cooler on average, the next round would show no difference. So yeah, no significant "10 degree cooler" that I've seen. And I did not notice a significant temp drop when climbing steep grades. The truck would max at 222 degrees no matter what.

And again, these results are anecdotal at best. The outside temps fluctuated between 86-89F, I forgot and had my AC on auto, and some traffic on the highway kept me from staying at 75mph, etc, so way too many variables for these numbers to mean anything. I also have not tested temps running around town.

If you are on the fence about buying them, I'd wait and see if people show some positive results in the heat under load. I plan on doing more testing when things get hot again. Hopefully I can find a scan gauge/logger to help track results.

HighNoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have not had my diesel very long and have not towed yet. I am told the fan will go into a higher speed to draw air through the radiator but I canā€™t say I have noticed that. When overheated do you notice a higher fan speed.

BuckeyeButch

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara, 2021 Gladiator Overland & 2000 Cor
Occupation
Retired
The Dodge Durango RT has functional air vents in the forward area of the hood. I'd say something like that would work.
Sponsored